Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: DISH Hopper and Joey Whole Home HD DVR System

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   caam1

caam1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes, an external USB drive from a 622/722 will work with the Hopper (drives used with a 211 will not). I have a 2TB drive that I used on a 622 and it works great on the Hopper. It is much faster to access the drive on Hopper than it was on the 622. Some people have had EHD problems with the Hopper, but mine is working great.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   gax279

gax279

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Found this forum off of AVSForum.com and I'm glad I did!

I've seen a few commercials and wasn't sure what Hopper and Joey were all about, but now I know. :cool:

I have a few questions, but first, here is some background on my set-up:

622 in the main/family room
211K in the kitchen
612 in the basement.

Note the 622 also sends a signal to the tv in the spare bedroom.

All of the equipment is leased.

None of the equipment is connected to Dish via a phone jack, or connected to the internet (we stream off of Vudu or Apple TV).

All 4 of my TVs are HD, and connected via HDMI.

In the summer, I sometimes take the 40" LCD from the spare bedroom and move it outside to the deck to watch baseball, football, etc. In order to do this, I have an HDMI splitter box off of the 211K in the kitchen and a 25' HDMI cable strung out the kitchen window and connect to the TV directly. It works, albeit it's not pretty. ;)

That's why I'm thinking the H & Js may be a good option for me.

So my questions...
1. Does the Hopper and Joey system utilize the existing coax wiring/cable jacks? Basically unplug the old boxes, plug in the new, and good to go?

2. In my house, I could put the Hopper in the family room, Joey #1 in the kitchen, Joey #2 in the basement, and Joey #3 could float between the spare bedroom and deck, correct?

3. Is there a wireless broadband option for the streaming content. If not, I can use a ethernet powerline adapter...I'd like to take advantage of the streaming features.

4. In looking at the Dish Network site and reading their H & J propaganda, it says Call 800-333-DISH to upgrade your equipment. Fee(s) will apply.

I'm going to try and call on my way home from work tonight, but for those that have upgraded, what were the "fees," if any?

Thanks again-
DB

#43 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

James, you mentioned that PTAT can "hijack" a tuner when it kicks in. I think this might have happened to me last night. At 6:55pm CDT, the channel I was watching froze, the Hopper stopped responding to the remote, and then eventually crashed/rebooted itself. I don't know which tuner the Hopper was currently using when this happened. I was also recording a show on HBO when PTAT started.

I've noticed that PTAT in the timer list always claims the same tuner. Also, timers claim a tuner at the time it is created. This is different than what I'm used to on the DirecTV DVRs. Timers are not tied to any tuner when they're created. They just use whichever tuner is free to start recording the event at the set time.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#44 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Found this forum off of AVSForum.com and I'm glad I did!

I've seen a few commercials and wasn't sure what Hopper and Joey were all about, but now I know. :cool:

I have a few questions, but first, here is some background on my set-up:

622 in the main/family room
211K in the kitchen
612 in the basement.

Note the 622 also sends a signal to the tv in the spare bedroom.

All of the equipment is leased.

None of the equipment is connected to Dish via a phone jack, or connected to the internet (we stream off of Vudu or Apple TV).

All 4 of my TVs are HD, and connected via HDMI.

In the summer, I sometimes take the 40" LCD from the spare bedroom and move it outside to the deck to watch baseball, football, etc. In order to do this, I have an HDMI splitter box off of the 211K in the kitchen and a 25' HDMI cable strung out the kitchen window and connect to the TV directly. It works, albeit it's not pretty. ;)

That's why I'm thinking the H & Js may be a good option for me.

So my questions...
1. Does the Hopper and Joey system utilize the existing coax wiring/cable jacks? Basically unplug the old boxes, plug in the new, and good to go?

2. In my house, I could put the Hopper in the family room, Joey #1 in the kitchen, Joey #2 in the basement, and Joey #3 could float between the spare bedroom and deck, correct?

3. Is there a wireless broadband option for the streaming content. If not, I can use a ethernet powerline adapter...I'd like to take advantage of the streaming features.

4. In looking at the Dish Network site and reading their H & J propaganda, it says Call 800-333-DISH to upgrade your equipment. Fee(s) will apply.

I'm going to try and call on my way home from work tonight, but for those that have upgraded, what were the "fees," if any?

Thanks again-
DB

depends on your payment history amongst other things.
most customers looking to upgrade will pay $100 for 1 hopper and 3 joeys

#45 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

James, you mentioned that PTAT can "hijack" a tuner when it kicks in. I think this might have happened to me last night. At 6:55pm CDT, the channel I was watching froze, the Hopper stopped responding to the remote, and then eventually crashed/rebooted itself. I don't know which tuner the Hopper was currently using when this happened. I was also recording a show on HBO when PTAT started.

I've noticed that PTAT in the timer list always claims the same tuner. Also, timers claim a tuner at the time it is created. This is different than what I'm used to on the DirecTV DVRs. Timers are not tied to any tuner when they're created. They just use whichever tuner is free to start recording the event at the set time.

timers do not claim a tuner when they are created,they will use any tuner available at the time the recording starts

#46 OFFLINE   jjanthony

jjanthony

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Will the OTA module I have in my VIP922 work/fit in the the hopper?

#47 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

Will the OTA module I have in my VIP922 work/fit in the the hopper?

Unfortunately not. The Hopper currently has no OTA support. There are no slots for a 922 style module. It appears DISH's solution will be via USB.

#48 OFFLINE   melkins

melkins

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Took my guy 7 hours to install, also had two other trucks show up to help him. I have 1 hopper and 3 Joey's. I love it!!!! The greatest feature is the built in remote control feature on the Hopper, it will automatically set up your hopper to work with your DVD player and home AV receiver. No more looking for remote control codes!!!

#49 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

My biggest issue is the lack of tuners and cost for a Joey and 3 hoppers cost lots more than 2 DVRs and has one less tuner

#50 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

timers do not claim a tuner when they are created,they will use any tuner available at the time the recording starts

If that's true, then why is there a colored icon on the timer indicating which tuner the timer will use?
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#51 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

My biggest issue is the lack of tuners and cost for a Joey and 3 hoppers cost lots more than 2 DVRs and has one less tuner

2 VIP DVRs don't run 4 HD TVs. If tuners are an issue 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys have the same monthly fee as 1h/3j.

#52 OFFLINE   722921

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Somebody PM me when OTA is up and working...
Hopper feeds the 73" Mitz WD-73640 3D DLP/1080p (and 19" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 1 feeds the 62" Mitz WD-62628 DLP/1080P (and 16" Polaroid LCD/720p via RF)
Joey 2 feeds the new 40" Specter LCD black friday special
Dish America Pkg

#53 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

It looks really cool but I looked into switching from DTV and it seems pretty expensive for me to make the switch.

#54 OFFLINE   gax279

gax279

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

I called Dish and they answered questions 2-4 for me.

James, or others that have had it installed, can you answer my 1st question?

Dish was not able to, or at least I couldn't understand his answer. I ask because 1 of the cable jacks is not easy to get to and if they have to pull new wires to it, I would have to move a TV and entertainment center.

So my questions...

Thanks again-
DB

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

I called Dish and they answered questions 2-4 for me.

James, or others that have had it installed, can you answer my 1st question?

Dish was not able to, or at least I couldn't understand his answer. I ask because 1 of the cable jacks is not easy to get to and if they have to pull new wires to it, I would have to move a TV and entertainment center.

It depends on the quality of your coax and whether it goes where it needs to go.

You need a straight run from the Hopper to the "node". You need a straight run from each Joey to the "node". You can split each run ONCE, feeding a Hopper and Joey off of the Hopper connection to the node (using a tap) or feeding two Joeys off of the Joey connection to the node (using a splitter).

You will also need two feeds from the "node" to the dish and have a DPP LNB on the dish. (For a two hopper system one needs three runs to the dish. Two hopper systems use a "duo node" with separate feeds to each hopper.)

If your cable is poor quality or you have additional splits you may have to have the cable replaced. You cannot have any other signals on the coax between the Hoppers/Joeys/dish.

It is a complicated answer ... which is why a tech looking at the cable is probably the best way DISH could give an answer.

#56 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I have a D* installation, with the dish and a multiswitch mounted outside a town home in the upper level of the building.

From there, 3 RG-6 cables run downstairs to the living room and 2 RG-6 cables run to the upstairs bedroom. Presumably the MoCA switch or hub could be installed outside with the dish and then the existing RG-6 cable runs could be used to network the hopper to the joeys?

Only have two TVs and probably would be fine with one hopper and one joey.

#57 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,041 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Very good writeup. I enjoyed reading the first look. I'm getting ready to help wire a friends new house and this is probably the setup they will get. Very helpful.

In post 8, in one of the pictures of the Hopper, what is the red box with the vent grid on the top?

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#58 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

The red box is the Dish Sling Adapter. A special sling adapter that only works on dish network VIP and hopper receivers.

#59 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Damn P....you beat me to it! :)

#60 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

The red box is the Dish Sling Adapter. A special sling adapter that only works on dish network VIP and hopper receivers.

Not for ViP922, not for ViP622, not for ViP211[k] - the adapter is good only for 722[k] model. And h2k now.

spam firewall