Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: DISH Hopper and Joey Whole Home HD DVR System

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the correction. That makes sense...I had a VIP722 and it worked there. I thought it worked on all of them.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   khearrean

khearrean

Godfather

• Registered
  • 516 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Ok, a simple question here. This may have been discussed somewhere, but I don't see it.
Assuming I was interested in a HD DVR, but had no intention of ever using/having one on more than the one TV in my main viewing room, would there be any reason to get a Hopper vs one of the regular Dish HD DVR's?

Ken
The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

#63 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

3 sat tuners instead of 2. PTA. Improved HD interface. BB@Home app.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#64 OFFLINE   gax279

gax279

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

It depends on the quality of your coax and whether it goes where it needs to go.

You need a straight run from the Hopper to the "node". You need a straight run from each Joey to the "node". You can split each run ONCE, feeding a Hopper and Joey off of the Hopper connection to the node (using a tap) or feeding two Joeys off of the Joey connection to the node (using a splitter).

You will also need two feeds from the "node" to the dish and have a DPP LNB on the dish. (For a two hopper system one needs three runs to the dish. Two hopper systems use a "duo node" with separate feeds to each hopper.)

If your cable is poor quality or you have additional splits you may have to have the cable replaced. You cannot have any other signals on the coax between the Hoppers/Joeys/dish.

It is a complicated answer ... which is why a tech looking at the cable is probably the best way DISH could give an answer.

Thank you James, I will think this over a bit more and perhaps schedule an install.

Is a new or different "dish" part of the H & J system/install?

#65 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

Thank you James, I will think this over a bit more and perhaps schedule an install.

Is a new or different "dish" part of the H & J system/install?

Only if you're not already on a complete arc.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#66 OFFLINE   AMGTX22

AMGTX22

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

Great review, thanks!

My question is about connecting the Hopper setup to the internet, as I am installing both Dish and cable internet in a new home around the same time and am trying to figure out where my cable modem and router need to be installed. Also about the Sling Adapter functionality with Hopper, which may be a bit off-topic but certainly related.

First, does the Hopper require a wired internet connection? Is there WiFi functionality either now or in the future? (I would prefer wired for the Sling Adapter upload speeds, but that leads to my next question...)

Second, with 2 Hoppers, does each need to be connected to the internet, or only one? It sounds like both Hoppers could use the internet connection of one, based on how everything is transferred around the house on MoCA (no, I'm not technically-literate with this stuff!).

Third, does the Sling Adapter have the same limitation of a Slingbox, where it takes over the viewing on the box it is attached to (TV must watch what Sling user is watching remotely)?

I.E., is a 2 Hopper / 3 Joey setup with a Sling Adapter on one Hopper necessary? Or can you accomplish the same goals (4 TVs and a Sling user online) with a 2 Hopper / 2 Joey setup (or 1 Hopper / 3 Joeys)? Obviously I would be limited by the number of tuners in my setup (1 v. 2 Hoppers), but don't want to pay for an extra box if it isn't necessary, be it Joey or Hopper.

Basically I ordered the 2H/3J setup thinking I'd put a Slingbox SOLO on the 3rd Joey in a closet next to the router, but the Hopper RF remote doesn't appear to work with the Slingbox IR functionality. The Sling Adapter is cheaper than the SOLO (both upfront and for the App) although it is also limited (to Dish receivers, and VOD is iPad only -- no iPhone).

Thanks in advance for any help!

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Take a look at the thread http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203038 - a lot of info there...

#68 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

My question is about connecting the Hopper setup to the internet, as I am installing both Dish and cable internet in a new home around the same time and am trying to figure out where my cable modem and router need to be installed. Also about the Sling Adapter functionality with Hopper, which may be a bit off-topic but certainly related.

The cable modem needs to stay on its own cable (no mixing Hopper with cable), but otherwise place it where it needs to be. When I had a cable modem I had it placed close to the entry point and ran ethernet around the house but if your cable modem/router has built in wifi you might want a location more central to where you will use the wifi.

First, does the Hopper require a wired internet connection? Is there WiFi functionality either now or in the future? (I would prefer wired for the Sling Adapter upload speeds, but that leads to my next question...)

The Hopper does not require a wired connection ... it can use specific USB wifi adapters.

Second, with 2 Hoppers, does each need to be connected to the internet, or only one? It sounds like both Hoppers could use the internet connection of one, based on how everything is transferred around the house on MoCA (no, I'm not technically-literate with this stuff!).

DISH has a "Hopper Internet Connector" (HIC) which would be the best bet. Have that installed where a wire is convenient and it serves Internet to every Hopper and Joey.

Without the HIC the Hoppers and Joeys will (eventually) talk to each other just fine (DISH is working on getting two Hopper systems fully functional). But only Hoppers connected to wifi or Ethernet will be able to talk to other devices or the internet. The HIC solves a lot of networking challenges.

Third, does the Sling Adapter have the same limitation of a Slingbox, where it takes over the viewing on the box it is attached to (TV must watch what Sling user is watching remotely)?

It takes over one of the three tuners. If you start watching a recorded program it gives back that tuner but will take back the tuner whenever it needs one.

#69 OFFLINE   AMGTX22

AMGTX22

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Wonderful, thank you both for the quick responses!

#70 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

So the Ethernet port on the back of a Joey is for the HIC?
Is that also the purpose of the USB, to provide a port for a wireless USB dongle?

Can ethernet be connected directly to a Joey from a switch?

#71 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Ethernet can be connected directly to the Joey, and is in fact the only other way besides the HIC (or WiFi) to get regular internet (for DLNA) to your Joey.

The supported WiFi USB adapter can be used in lieu of a direct ethernet connection

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#72 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Question... if 500gb out of 2tb is reserved for customer use... what is the other 1.5tb used for?

#73 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

So the Ethernet port on the back of a Joey is for the HIC?

The HIC is connected to the Hopper or Joey cable and provides a network connection for ALL Hopper and Joey devices on the MoCA network.

The Ethernet connections on the Hoppers and Joeys can be used to connect each individual device to the home network/Internet but only the HIC provides a way of connecting all devices to the network with one connection.

#74 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Question... if 500gb out of 2tb is reserved for customer use... what is the other 1.5tb used for?

On Demand that is downloaded to the receiver while in standby and the PTA nightly primetime recordings mostly.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#75 OFFLINE   checksum

checksum

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

I recently upgraded from a 722, 611, 611. I have 3 tv's. Now I have 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey.
Let me start off by saying that it would be nice if both hoppers could be linked together using the whole-home-dvr thing. Because the way it is. If Im on the tv with the Joey I can link up to either one of the hoppers but not both. I can also switch. But the whole problem with this setup is that everyone in my house wants access to the "PrimeTime" thing. So that means that BOTH hoppers have to give up 1 tuner each to BOTH record the "PT" thing. That means instead of 6 real tuners I only have 5 because from 6-10 at night the recordings are redundant.
To solve this problem they need to make it so that any tv, either a Joey or a Hopper can link. Or that not just linking a Joey to a Hopper but linking Hopper to Hopper. If they cannot fix this I may end up s* canning the whole thing.
Also the whole system seems very buggy. It took 2 separate installers almost 4 hours to install and get this all set up and running.

#76 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

I recently upgraded from a 722, 611, 611. I have 3 tv's. Now I have 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey.
Let me start off by saying that it would be nice if both hoppers could be linked together using the whole-home-dvr thing. Because the way it is. If Im on the tv with the Joey I can link up to either one of the hoppers but not both. I can also switch. But the whole problem with this setup is that everyone in my house wants access to the "PrimeTime" thing. So that means that BOTH hoppers have to give up 1 tuner each to BOTH record the "PT" thing. That means instead of 6 real tuners I only have 5 because from 6-10 at night the recordings are redundant.
To solve this problem they need to make it so that any tv, either a Joey or a Hopper can link. Or that not just linking a Joey to a Hopper but linking Hopper to Hopper. If they cannot fix this I may end up s* canning the whole thing.
Also the whole system seems very buggy. It took 2 separate installers almost 4 hours to install and get this all set up and running.

dude did u read this thread before deciding to get the hopper/joey system?
the hopper to hopper link up is coming soon via software update.
when u decided to go with the hopper/joey system u should of known that each hopper uses a tuner to record PT
don't blame dish for your choices
and the 2 hoppers DON'T have to give up 1 tuner/each to record PT .its YOUR choice .u can turn PT OFF

#77 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:45 AM

The hopper-to-hopper link is coming this summer.

#78 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

The hopper-to-hopper link is coming this summer.

I hope you're right, when they say coming soon it brings up memories of the infamous "TV Everywhere Extender" which ended up being the Joey more or less years later. :sure:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#79 OFFLINE   checksum

checksum

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

Im also having trouble getting my local NBC channel to show up in my favorites list. No matter how many times I add it, no matter how I add it. By the time I get back out to the normal guide screen it wont show up.
Also on 1 tv I have a hopper and another with a joey hooked up to that hopper. But even if both show are watching the exact same thing it still shows 2 out of 3 of my tuners being used, and one of the channels is nothing Im recording or watching on either tv. I was told by a Dish customer service person that thats normal and when I do eventually need it to record something it will just become available. Why cant they just fix that. My CS rep said that they wouldnt be fixing this and that there is nothing to fix. I dont agree...

#80 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

Im also having trouble getting my local NBC channel to show up in my favorites list. No matter how many times I add it, no matter how I add it. By the time I get back out to the normal guide screen it wont show up.
Also on 1 tv I have a hopper and another with a joey hooked up to that hopper. But even if both show are watching the exact same thing it still shows 2 out of 3 of my tuners being used, and one of the channels is nothing Im recording or watching on either tv. I was told by a Dish customer service person that thats normal and when I do eventually need it to record something it will just become available. Why cant they just fix that. My CS rep said that they wouldnt be fixing this and that there is nothing to fix. I dont agree...

thats because PIP is using one of the tuners
that tuner is available for recording and watching live tv if u choose to use it
otherwise its used by PIP

spam firewall