Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: DISH Hopper and Joey Whole Home HD DVR System

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#101 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,698 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Watch selected part of the quote ...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:18 AM

Even purchased via eBay a Hopper will not work with DirecTV. :rolleyes:

shhhhh don't ruin the fun :)

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#103 OFFLINE   Russ52

Russ52

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks For The Answer 'Rad', James Long'.

I Really Like The Fact That You Can Record More Than 2 Shows At The Same Time.

#104 OFFLINE   chad.ayres

chad.ayres

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Can a single tv switch between the tuners. Could I watch all 3 tuners from 1 tv like I can switch between the turners on my 722?

#105 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Can a single tv switch between the tuners. Could I watch all 3 tuners from 1 tv like I can switch between the turners on my 722?

i think so
click the red button and pick the tuner u want

#106 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

You can use the red button to change tuners but if no one is watching a tuner and nothing is recording on it the tuner will change to "available" instead of the channel tuned.

#107 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 905 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

No, you can only watch 2 tuners at a time on 1 TV. The Hopper TV can use the PIP feature, which uses 2 tuners. This feature is not available on the Joey. If the third tuner is not in use, attempting to switch to an idle tuner does not connect the TV to that tuner. The Hopper/Joey will connect to an active tuner. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

#108 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

To be clear he has access to all three tuners from each TV.

#109 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

To be clear he has access to all three tuners from each TV.

He loses control of the tuner as soon as he selects another. If no one else is using that tuner (watching or recording) the tuner will go to "available". A Hopper will keep up to two tuners active (due to PIP/swap). A Joey will keep one tuner active. Tuners not in use will become available.

#110 OFFLINE   Sir Lagzalot

Sir Lagzalot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Just had a second hopper added today and by accident found out that you can connect joeys to hoppers with only a network connection no rg6 at all. Was this always possible?

#111 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,698 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

Just had a second hopper added today and by accident found out that you can connect joeys to hoppers with only a network connection no rg6 at all. Was this always possible?

Oh, that's encouraging discovery !

Can you monitor the traffic, measure at least occupied bandwidth by the client ?

#112 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

One of the recent software updates did that. Wasn't available at launch.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#113 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,698 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

One of the recent software updates did that. Wasn't available at launch.

Where it was in notes then ? Reading these I don't recall such feature was announced ...

#114 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:36 PM

Where it was in notes then ? Reading these I don't recall such feature was announced ...

Announcing would mean supporting.

#115 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:48 PM

Joeys have USB port, Wifi adapter= wireless HDTV? Don't have a Joey on my home system, this would be beyond cool.

#116 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,698 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Why every time when you bringing 'logical' answers, I hear Charlie's voice during his Chats ?.... :D

#117 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Can you monitor the traffic, measure at least occupied bandwidth by the client ?

I don't have anything loaded on my Ethernet to track, but the "Counters" page on the Hopper shows MoCA running to each Joey at 292,635,024 bps. Counters do not show the Ethernet speed, but I only have 100 mbps at home and a Joey connected to only the Ethernet seems to work fine.

#118 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,698 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

I don't have anything loaded on my Ethernet to track, but the "Counters" page on the Hopper shows MoCA running to each Joey at 292,635,024 bps. Counters do not show the Ethernet speed, but I only have 100 mbps at home and a Joey connected to only the Ethernet seems to work fine.

It would be interesting to check Ethernet load when three Joye will play some HD content.

#119 OFFLINE   Sir Lagzalot

Sir Lagzalot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:22 PM

Just had a thought, theoretically I should be able to move a joey anywhere in my house as long as I have network access. I guess I test that theory out tomorrow when I have more time, I'll also try and do some load testing.

#120 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

:up:
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

spam firewall