Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: DISH Hopper and Joey Whole Home HD DVR System

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

I am a current DirecTV customer, thinking of moving over. I just read this entire post and still have a question about the HD. I know it's 2T, with 500 gb reserved for customer use. If I turn off the PTAT feature, is all 2T available to save shows?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

It's 1TB now. You don't get any space back if you disable PTAT.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#123 OFFLINE   cheetahz

cheetahz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

OK after reading most of this discussion I do not see what everybody is excited about.
I have a 722 hooked via of component to my projector for HD. The HDMI is hooked up to my A/V receiver to my main TV in living room for HD. (hooper doesn't have 2 HDTV outputs according to this info) and the 722's 2nd tuner /DVR is hooked up via of A/V output and RCA for sound to my bedroom TV also spli to living room TV. All my TV's are HD so I added a 211K with a hard drive (for DVR capability) to my bedroom set for HD programming and a 2nd DVR. I can also watch the 722 DVR or satellite in SD in my bedroom.
This is relatively cheap for the 722 is including in programming cost. DVR fee is only charged once and no whole house DVR fee. Only extra charge is for one receiver. Both sat receivers came with OTA tuners built in therefore free (now they found a way to make more money and charge for them) so I can watch HD OTA channels on any of the sets and record to either DVR in HD.
The only advatage I see is the PTA which I pretty much have via of the five tuners. 2 in the 211 (one atsc and one satellite) and 3 (2 satellite and 1 atsc) in the 722. This Hooper /Joeys seem to be fancier but cost a lot more. Since I already have coax runs for antenna and satellite throughout my home I see no additional features for the extra cost.
I think you can do the same thing for less using conventional HD receivers. Know if they did not charge extra for each Joey, they were wireless HD and an additional whole house DVR fee (just another excuse to charge more) then it may be worth it.
I guess I am missing something. Anyway I will stick with what I have and I appreciate all of you other guys paying extra fees to help keep programming cost down.
Just my 2 cants worth which is about what it is worth I suppose.

#124 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

You cannot do with regular receivers what you do with the H+J: HD at all TVs with a single DVR with shared content. You can't share the content from the 722 to the 211k.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#125 OFFLINE   komondor

komondor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

My 2nd 922 box died today I lost a lot of recordings it was about 75% full and had never even shown the slightest problem until this AM, after going around with Dish sending me a new box but could not get it until Monday I decided to upgrade to the Hopper Joey route the only question I have is what do you do for an older TV that just has a coax connection?

Anyone have a feeling on when Joey's will be able to talk to any Hopper I am going to have 2 of each

#126 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

My 2nd 922 box died today I lost a lot of recordings it was about 75% full and had never even shown the slightest problem until this AM, after going around with Dish sending me a new box but could not get it until Monday I decided to upgrade to the Hopper Joey route the only question I have is what do you do for an older TV that just has a coax connection?

Anyone have a feeling on when Joey's will be able to talk to any Hopper I am going to have 2 of each

It's start 'talking' on last FW S2.13/S2.65, see http://www.dbstalk.c...01&postcount=18
Coax TV ? FOr HDTV ? Oh man ! Buy RF modulator - eBay, Amazon, Craigslist, etc

#127 ONLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

...what do you do for an older TV that just has a coax connection?

I think you can get an adapter for RCA to coax.

Joeys have always been able to look at and control recordings of either Hopper. The new software allows you to view and play recordings from one Hopper to the other.

#128 OFFLINE   ChE74

ChE74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just received Sep 2012 issue of Home Theater Mag. It has a 4 pg. review of the Hopper/Joey system. Very positive review but no mention of running very warm.

#129 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

Oops and gotchas you will find at forums like this one, but in magazines.

#130 OFFLINE   ChE74

ChE74

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

I did not mean to imply the temp. situation doesn't exist just that it wasn't mentioned in the the review. Why? who knows.

#131 OFFLINE   joeerg

joeerg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

I now have a 722k, a 722 and a 211k. The 211k is on an RV and I don't think relates to this question (correct me if I'm wrong). The 722k drives two HDTVs off tuner 1, one via HDMI, the other component, and one SD set off tuner 2. The 722 drives two sets off tuner 1, an HD via HDMI and an SD via coax, and an SD set off tuner 2. I am looking at replacing this with one or more Hoppers. What would be the best setup if the idea is to be able to watch any recorded program from any set?

Also, when I talked to DISH, they said that it was not possible to manage recorded programs via the internet. Some of the posts I've read here indicate otherwise. What's the right answer?

#132 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

If you are seeking the same number of TVs you have now (6 TVs?) but not share the same tuner for multiple TVs, you need 2 Hoppers (3 tuners each) and 4 Joeys. With 2 Hoppers, you can watch recordings from either Hopper from the Hoppers and Joeys.

Please explain what you mean, "manage your recordings" online. You can setup timers and delete recordings online for your Hopper when logged into dishonline.com. Please elaborate what you mean. Thanks.

I now have a 722k, a 722 and a 211k. The 211k is on an RV and I don't think relates to this question (correct me if I'm wrong). The 722k drives two HDTVs off tuner 1, one via HDMI, the other component, and one SD set off tuner 2. The 722 drives two sets off tuner 1, an HD via HDMI and an SD via coax, and an SD set off tuner 2. I am looking at replacing this with one or more Hoppers. What would be the best setup if the idea is to be able to watch any recorded program from any set?

Also, when I talked to DISH, they said that it was not possible to manage recorded programs via the internet. Some of the posts I've read here indicate otherwise. What's the right answer?

#133 OFFLINE   joeerg

joeerg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

I'm fine with TVs sharing tuners. There are never more than 3 people watching at any one time. However, I need the ability to record at least 3 or 4 events simultaneously. Assume that at least two would be covered by PTAT, plus 2 non-network shows.

The critical issue concerning managing recordings over the internet is the ability to protect a program that was recorded on PTAT from being erased after 8 days. I am frequently out of town for extended periods and want to be able to preserve more than 2 recorded shows from the same time slot.

#134 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

You just set a standard timer and it copies the recordings from PTAT to the regular saved portion of the DVR. Don't have to manage anything remotely for that.

#135 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

You just set a standard timer and it copies the recordings from PTAT to the regular saved portion of the DVR. Don't have to manage anything remotely for that.

It's copying nothing from/to.

SW using segmentation info about the one huge chunk of PTA recording (one chunk per channel per night ) and making it small in same USER space using SAME quota.

#136 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yes. In specific language it's not strictly speaking "copying". But in simple terms, it is. Not a big deal.

#137 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

There is no specific language used.

You're creating misleading terminology. Using right and simple description would help ppl understand processes. Not to confuse them more and more. Take a look how science popularization working.

#138 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

"Setting a timer allows the Hopper to create a new show after 8 days have elapsed from the PTAT recording based on timestamps, and store the resulting show on the user partition"

is more clear and simple than you put it, but the end result is no different than

"Setting a timer keeps a copy after 8 days."

Which one's easier to understand?

#139 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Still not provided critical info: not a whole 4 hrs chunk copy, but selected show(s). And still out of real action, btw.

#140 OFFLINE   joeerg

joeerg

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the information re saving PTAT recordings. I'm still not clear as to what equipment configuration is best. I am currently running 3 sets off a 722k, two HDs from tuner 1, via HDMI and component, and an SD from tuner 2. I run another three sets from a 722, an HD via HDMI and an SD via coax off tuner 1, and an SD off tuner 2. I have no need to control separately the sets that are currently sharing tuners. Am I better off with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, or 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys? I understand the cost is the same.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...