Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk First Look: DISH Hopper and Joey Whole Home HD DVR System

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Clearcreek

Clearcreek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

Wouldn't the second Hopper be an additional $99? You would get 3 additional tuners with the second hopper.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the information re saving PTAT recordings. I'm still not clear as to what equipment configuration is best. I am currently running 3 sets off a 722k, two HDs from tuner 1, via HDMI and component, and an SD from tuner 2. I run another three sets from a 722, an HD via HDMI and an SD via coax off tuner 1, and an SD off tuner 2. I have no need to control separately the sets that are currently sharing tuners. Am I better off with 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, or 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys? I understand the cost is the same.

I would recommend 2 hoppers based on your previous posts. 2 and 2 would give you independent viewing on up to 4 TV's, but the outputs on Hopper can be shared as you were already doing with 722s (HDMI/component). And the Joeys can be carried between locations if you have the wiring run and configured properly. You could add more Joeys for convenience sake, but each one carries additional $7 month fee.

#143 OFFLINE   Mr.Gadget

Mr.Gadget

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Awhile back, somebody was going to do some testing using the Ethernet port on the Joeys. Can the Joey access the Hopper over the network rather than the Coax for accessing media? I would really like to maintain my existing coax (headend) system, and keep clear of Dish clutter since they don't play well together. I have other devices currently sharing the coax (Cameras, DVD players, Tuners, etc).

I know I could pull a second coax for the Joey in remote locations, but I already have a network and coax at all remote destinations, thus keeping the coax for existing (legacy TV) services, and the network for new applications (Joey).

In this configuration, the TV can then select either HDMI input for the Joey, or TV/ANT for my coax headend CATV.

Thanks

Nevermind - Found answer from other forum back to this forum.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205986

Edited by Mr.Gadget, 09 November 2012 - 03:19 PM.
Found other thread

MitsuDLP60" - PanaPlasma42" - Dish 510*2/722k
Chaparral Monterey 100 - Prosat DVB-FTA
2-18" Dishes - 1-90cm Offset Ku -1-7.5' Mesh Dish

#144 OFFLINE   34Ford

34Ford

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

I noticed in the pics at the start of this thread there is a G4 card.
Is this necessary? I thought they didn't need cards anymore.
Dennis

#145 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

I noticed in the pics at the start of this thread there is a G4 card.
Is this necessary? I thought they didn't need cards anymore.

Not sure exactly what you mean... some receivers have the built-in encryption, but since that can change they all have the card slots. IF they didn't do that, then they couldn't ever change security without having to replace all receivers in the field... so sometimes you get a receiver with current security built-in, other times you have one with a card in the slot.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#146 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

I have everything home run in my house. I have typically two RG6 and Cat6 per box and 2 boxes or more per room. My issue is that I need 8 connected TV minimum which tells me I have to have two Hoppers and 6 Joeys. My issue is that it sounds like where ever the Hopper is, I may need to have a splitter and three rg6 back to the Joeys. Can I connect the three Joey's to one Hopper through Cat6 using a switch instead of RG6? There appears to be ethernet connection on both. Can I run the Hopper in a room with One RG6 in and ONE RG6 out to a central hub room where all my RG6 through out my house terminate. Then I could put a splitter in that room hooking all the Joeys up from that room?

#147 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

I have everything home run in my house. I have typically two RG6 and Cat6 per box and 2 boxes or more per room. My issue is that I need 8 connected TV minimum which tells me I have to have two Hoppers and 6 Joeys. My issue is that it sounds like where ever the Hopper is, I may need to have a splitter and three rg6 back to the Joeys. Can I connect the three Joey's to one Hopper through Cat6 using a switch instead of RG6? There appears to be ethernet connection on both. Can I run the Hopper in a room with One RG6 in and ONE RG6 out to a central hub room where all my RG6 through out my house terminate. Then I could put a splitter in that room hooking all the Joeys up from that room?

Yes, you can use Ethernet to connect the Joeys to the Hoppers but they do have to be connected via Coax for the initial download / setup before being moved to Ethernet: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205986

The Coax to the Joey's doesn't come directly from the Hoppers, it comes from the Duo Node they would install where the three lines from the dish come into the house. It has four outputs, one line is used for each Hopper and then the remaining two can be split to feed Joeys.

Diagrams can be found here: http://www.dishuser.org/hopper.php

#148 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

The coax feed for each Joey feeds off the Node on a client ports. The Joeys access programming from the Hopper it is linked with and DVR content from either Hopper.

If you have a distribution point for your coax cables, the nodes can be placed there. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.

#149 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:17 AM

Yes, you can use Ethernet to connect the Joeys to the Hoppers but they do have to be connected via Coax for the initial download / setup before being moved to Ethernet: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205986

This is no longer true. When they setup my 2-Hopper/1-Joey install we just plugged everything into my ethernet network and the Joey linked up and updated without any problems. My only coax runs now are from the dish to the Hoppers everything else interconnects via my network.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#150 OFFLINE   Howard Polack

Howard Polack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

If I am understanding everything correctly, I can have a dou node switch in my distribution room from the Satellite Dish. From there it is a cable to the hoppers in any room.

I can then jack the Hoppers into my gigabit network. Then I can locate any Joey in any room where I can jack it into my network. Are we sure this does not have to be connected through its own switch.

Seems to be too good to be true.

If this is not true, worst case, I can run a RG6 cable from the switch in my distribution room to any Joey. Which since all my cables are home run to all boxes in all my rooms, I don't have to really run any new cables.

#151 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,902 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

I can then jack the Hoppers into my gigabit network. Then I can locate any Joey in any room where I can jack it into my network. Are we sure this does not have to be connected through its own switch.

Your existing switch should work. I have a 100mbps switch that serves the wired equipment in my home and it works fine to connect a Hopper to Joeys. A separate network is not required.

We even have one user on our site who is using a wi-fi dongle on a Joey to connect it to his home network.

The caveat is that Ethernet is not officially supported. If it doesn't work don't expect DISH to try to fix it for you.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...