Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I Switched to FiOS. Comparing the two providers...

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

I have had FiOS since last October after four years of DirecTV.

I was unhappy with the slow channel response on DirecTV plus I could get a savings of $40 per month for the first year after switching and $20 per month for the second year.

I pretty much agree with the TS about the differences although I do not have a problem with the FiOS Guide.

Customer Service was much better with DirecTV. It has taken six months to get my FiOS billing correct with phone calls required each month to get my bill lowered to where it should be. The March bill is finally correct and the April estimated bill also looks correct.

DirecTV certainly offers the dedicated sports fan more offerings than FiOS.

About the only SD channel that I watch is TCM and the movies look much better on FiOS than they did on DirecTV. FiOS also carries three PBS HD channels in the LA area vs. DirecTV's two. FiOS also offers two local city channels that aren't carried by DirecTV.

The newer FiOS set top boxes look just fine and certainly run cooler than my HR20 hot box, which was always warm to the touch.

And, at least for now, FiOS is still carrying my local Tribune station...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

The colors represent content. Sports vs. movies vs. news.

All the channels in FIOS are grouped together. All the HD sports channels start at 570, the news channels start at 100/600, etc. The top two PPV movies are at the beginning of the group of movie channels.

The HD version of a channel is always 500 more than its SD version. If you tune to the SD version that has an HD version available, a small reminder tells you to just press the 'C' button and it will switch to the HD version. But yes, the ability to hide SD duplicates would be nice.

The main problem you (and I) are having is that you simply don't know where the channels are anymore.

The colors don't always make sense to me. Programs with similar content on the same channel are in different colors. Take World Fishing Network, for example. Some of the shows are in green, some are in blue. But the programs descriptions seem to indicate very similar programing. At 8 pm "Offshore Adventures" - in blue- with the description "...crew travel around the world exploring the best places for water sports, including fishing..."; at 8:30 "IGFA Saltwater Adventures" - in green - with the description "Bill Boyce takes viewers to some of the worlds top saltwater fishing locations". Why the different colors? Aren't these two shows basically the same? This is just one example; I could cite many more. It gets to the point where I just ignore the different colors.

If every channel were in HD then the category grouping would make sense. If I want to see every channel in a given category then I have to browse through the SD guide, choose a channel, then press C to get the HD version. If I'm watching the HD version and go back to the guide, I am brought to the HD part of the guide and I have to switch back to the SD channel guide to see what's on the channels which don't have a HD counterpart. If the SD and HD versions were grouped together by category and we had the option to hide the SD versions, it would be much easier to navigate the guide.

I do agree about having to become familiar with the FiOS channel numbers. After 5 years with DirecTV often I find myself tuning to the DTV channel number by mistake.

#23 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'd love to get me some of that FiOS Internet. Unfortunately I'm surrounded by AT&T U-Verse, which is terrible, both in Video, and Internet.

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,705 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

channels.

The HD version of a channel is always 500 more than its SD version.

Generally true but not 100% true.

Cable (and fios is fancy cable) drives me nuts with their channel numbering. Put 2 on 2. 45 on 45. Etc.

Also, while on demand is quick, the access and controls stink on fios. It is also horrible in remembering what you watched and where you are. Only 2x FF. And at least once a month, the picture spazzes out (fios is a rube Goldberg contraption).
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm a DTV HSP Tech living in an apartment with no LOS for DTV so I've had FiOS since I moved in here 1 1/2 years ago. Took me a while to adjust to FiOS but the limited dvr space (I hold like 30 hrs) is my only major complaint..

I had a similar intro package to you, until all my yummy first year promotions ran out. The box fees kill you and after the promotion if you are keeping movie channels, you can upgrade to the next package up for a few dollars more a month. My bill is 177-180 / month after taxes and fees and I have on HDDVR and on HD box, and every channel (including redzone) except hbo...

I'll give you a glimpse into your future bill ;)

Current Charges

3/13 4/12 Triple Play 124.99
• FiOS Digital Voice UnlimitedView Call Details 30.00
• FiOS TV Ultimate HD (includes $12.99 for Basic service) 74.99
• FiOS Internet 25/25 35.00
• 24 Mo. Bundle Credit thru Jul 30, 2012 -10.00
• Special Property Discount -5.00
3/13 4/12 Movie Package Ultimate HD 9.99
3/13 4/12 Multi-Room DVR Package - 2 Room 27.99
Current Charges Subtotal $162.97

Current Activity Total $162.97

Oh and you are right about customer service, when my packages switched it took an hour on the phone for them to re-enable some of my ondemand services... and the tech they sent out was a moron, but thats another story...
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#26 OFFLINE   grcooperjr

grcooperjr

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'd love to get me some of that FiOS Internet. Unfortunately I'm surrounded by AT&T U-Verse, which is terrible, both in Video, and Internet.

Well... I'll tell ya the internet is blazing fast. I'm grandfathered in at 30x30 mpbs @ $41 per month. I know one day it will change but I'm enjoying the speed for now....

#27 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:51 PM

Well... I'll tell ya the internet is blazing fast. I'm grandfathered in at 30x30 mpbs @ $41 per month. I know one day it will change but I'm enjoying the speed for now....

The fact that I had 2+ years of virtually flawless FiOS internet was what got me to get the Triple Play. While FiOS TV has its tradeoffs and drawbacks, I'm reasonably convinced that FiOS internet is about as good as it gets.

#28 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Right - that includes fiber in Oregon, Washington, and Indiana. Those were all origially Verizon FiOS systems, and were sold off to Frontier. It's also clear that Frontier really doesn't want to be in the TV business. They not only jacked up the prices on TV services, but they started charging a ridiculous $500 set up fee for new subscribers! And they were giving special deals to have their customers switch to DirecTV. As for stuff all being the same between the two... that's no longer true. Frontier isn't beholden to get all the same HD channels that Verizon has (only most of them) and they're not doing guide updates like Verizon is. At this point they really are two separate systems - right down to control of the VHOs (basically regional cable offices).

OK, so Verizon sold off its FiOS network in certain states and has pretty much said they will stop FiOS expansion. Now I understand that they're making deals with cable companies as well. Kind of makes me wonder what future Verizon sees for FiOS. Will FiOS improve its technology, add more HD channels, or will they try to sell off the whole system or just let it wither away? My pricing is locked in for two years, but if they raise rates like Frontier, I'll go back to DirecTV for sure (and probably get a returning customer promotional rate to go with it).

#29 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

That $20/mo charge that Verizon gets for each additional DVR is way too steep IMHO. Fortunately the one DVR with Whole-Home capability works fine in my situation.

Around here the 2nd DVR is $12/mo. The $20 one is the "multi-room" and you only need one of those (it's just software). They also are giving multi-room DVR free for life here as long as you keep a triple play package. Offers vary by area and competition.

#30 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Had a quick test drive with U-verse.

User interface sucked.
Tuning speed was faster, but it should be, since the signals are there just like with FiOS, or any other cable service.
Sat feeds just have a longer chain before you "tune" to the channel. This isn't the SAT, but from the LNB down through your receiver.
On Demand I didn't try, but if the provider owns the connection, there no reason they can't do it faster.

You would think cable boxes would be able to change the channel faster but all of the ones I've had couldn't.

Have you ever tried changing the channel on a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD, often the best box offered my cable providers.... it's slow. And if you think the UVerse interface sucked.. Time Warner Cable's has looked like this for probably 10 years.... (I got the image on Google). The only advantage they have is more HD, more locals and faster on demand.
Posted Image

Glad to hear your satisfied with your FiOS though, I think most people would have it if it were available to them, I sure would like to try it out.

#31 OFFLINE   bigtom

bigtom

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

You would think cable boxes would be able to change the channel faster but all of the ones I've had couldn't.

Have you ever tried changing the channel on a Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD, often the best box offered my cable providers.... it's slow. And if you think the UVerse interface sucked.. Time Warner Cable's has looked like this for probably 10 years.... (I got the image on Google). The only advantage they have is more HD, more locals and faster on demand.

Glad to hear your satisfied with your FiOS though, I think most people would have it if it were available to them, I sure would like to try it out.

Bet I have nightmares tonight after looking at that pic...

#32 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Bet I have nightmares tonight after looking at that pic...

Sadly, not much has changed. Thankfully we have DirecTV, they might have less HD channels (than some cable companies) but their boxes are far better.

Does FiOS have the apps like DirecTV? The DirecTV apps have potential but are poorly implemented in my opinion. I get it though, that have to be made to run on older hardware but they still take a few seconds to load on an HR24.

#33 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

I've posted these screen shots b4, but since a few here have asked what the ui llooks like here u go....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#34 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:14 AM

At least the football game being played matches the information listed in the guide. Here in Buffalo, Sabres games are carried by MSG regionally. When the Sabres play, often the FiOS guide will show the listing for MSG in New York City instead, even though the game is actually on the air here. Another pet peeve with the FiOS guide.

#35 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

Had a quick test drive with U-verse.
Find things close to these.
User interface sucked.
Tuning speed was faster, but it should be, since the signals are there just like with FiOS, or any other cable service.
Sat feeds just have a longer chain before you "tune" to the channel. This isn't the SAT, but from the LNB down through your receiver.
On Demand I didn't try, but if the provider owns the connection, there no reason they can't do it faster.

Just did a quick check of my TV changing OTA channels, and my HR24 changing. The HR24 took about 1 second longer.

U-verse suck! I didn't TV service for 14 hours on a Saturday until a tech came. Never again!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#36 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'm a DTV HSP Tech living in an apartment with no LOS for DTV so I've had FiOS since I moved in here 1 1/2 years ago. Took me a while to adjust to FiOS but the limited dvr space (I hold like 30 hrs) is my only major complaint..

I had a similar intro package to you, until all my yummy first year promotions ran out. The box fees kill you and after the promotion if you are keeping movie channels, you can upgrade to the next package up for a few dollars more a month. My bill is 177-180 / month after taxes and fees and I have on HDDVR and on HD box, and every channel (including redzone) except hbo...

I'll give you a glimpse into your future bill ;)

Oh and you are right about customer service, when my packages switched it took an hour on the phone for them to re-enable some of my ondemand services... and the tech they sent out was a moron, but thats another story...

you could save 30+ a month if you drop the phone service, I had that with uverse, I was paying like 37 dollars a month after taxes and fees. I bought a nettalk box for 70 dollars that includes the first year of service and then its 30 bucks a year, works better than the 37 dollar a month service did. Oh wait, its the same damn internet telephone service. :)

#37 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

My Verizon FiOS experience was awful. I couldn't get away from them fast enough. I had the Motorola 7216 and it was unusable. No way to watch or delete an entire recorded series, it was slow and needed to be rebooted frequently. PQ was really bad - their HD was worse than DirecTV's SD. I had the receiver replaced twice with the same result. Customer service was really bad and my bill was never what it was supposed to be. I had TV/internet bundled package and it was supposed to be $80/mo. It was $130+/mo after they added all their fees and additional charges.

I didn't like their internet service either. Give me an ethernet handoff and let me use my own firewall. They wouldn't let me connect without their POS Actiontec router. If I put it in bridge mode, they'd do a hard reset on it every three days. If I did any port forwarding, they'd reset it every three days. If I deviated from anything other than changing the password, it would be reset every three days. I couldn't do my site-to-site VPN, VoIP would stop working and I had to spend hours on the phone with their (nonexistent) customer service.

#38 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

My Verizon FiOS experience was awful. I couldn't get away from them fast enough. I had the Motorola 7216 and it was unusable. No way to watch or delete an entire recorded series, it was slow and needed to be rebooted frequently. PQ was really bad - their HD was worse than DirecTV's SD. I had the receiver replaced twice with the same result. Customer service was really bad and my bill was never what it was supposed to be. I had TV/internet bundled package and it was supposed to be $80/mo. It was $130+/mo after they added all their fees and additional charges.

I didn't like their internet service either. Give me an ethernet handoff and let me use my own firewall. They wouldn't let me connect without their POS Actiontec router. If I put it in bridge mode, they'd do a hard reset on it every three days. If I did any port forwarding, they'd reset it every three days. If I deviated from anything other than changing the password, it would be reset every three days. I couldn't do my site-to-site VPN, VoIP would stop working and I had to spend hours on the phone with their (nonexistent) customer service.

If you believe their HD is worse than DirecTV's SD... then there was something wrong with your setup. Their HD is stunning, and is on par with DirecTV's HD. As for watching/deleting an entire series of recordings... I'm not sure why that would be a make or break (to each his own), but that feature is now in 1.9. Next on the slowness of the hardware - I had the 7216, even with the 1.9 s/w and it's not slow. It's not as fast as the 7232 I now have, and the 6416 I used to have was sluggish under 1.9, but not the 7216. Between that and the constant rebooting, and it's clear you had something wrong with your setup. My boxes rarely reboot - only when Verizon intentionally reboots (they're doing maintenance) which happens occasionally. Beyond that, my DVR may spontaneously reboot once a year.

#39 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,316 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

I've had FiOS TV for six months and FiOS Internet for over two years.

Billing for FiOS TV has been a disaster, but I'm pretty sure it's straightened out with this month's bill. I will agree that Verizon's customer service is pretty poor. I wouldn't quite call it nonexistent as I did eventually get the bill fixed every month.

Absolutely no internet problems with the Actiontec router. I have three computers wirelessly connected plus an iPod Touch, an iPad, and an Android tablet occasionally connected.

FiOS TV HD PQ seems a bit better than DirecTV, but certainly not a deal breaker between the two services. FiOS TV SD PQ, though, is much better than DirecTV. And the remote response on my 7232 HD DVR is much, much faster than I experienced on either of my DirecTV DVR's.

I will give DirecTV credit for better sports coverage. FiOS only offers two HD channels for MLB Extra Innings. The other games are SD. That's not a problem for me since I only watch EI during the free previews. :D
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#40 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

Have to agree with jpl; somehow your system wasn't set up right. HD PQ on FiOS is every bit as good as on DirecTV, while SD PQ is much better. If you changed boxes then maybe the problem was in the ONT or maybe in the coax somewhere.

I don't know why your bill was so high. Fees and additional charges are less than $10/month on my bill.

As for the Internet, I agree that the Actiontec router is junk, but it is needed for TV service. I have my Actiontec router set as primary and I bridge to an Asus router for my wireless LAN. I use VyprVPN and it works with no problems as well. I had VOIP phone service, but it was cheaper to go with the Triple Play and Verizon Digital Voice. I was even able to keep my VOIP phone number. Other than the minor annoyance of having to dial the area code for every outgoing call, I have no complaints.

Don't know what attempts you made to contact Verizon CS, but if it were me I would've had a tech come out to try to figure out what was wrong before canceling altogether. (Yes, I know all about the problems in getting satisfaction from Verizon CS). If everyone had the problems you've had then Verizon would be out of business. I have to believe that yours is an isolated experience.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...