Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I Switched to FiOS. Comparing the two providers...

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,027 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I see these negative comments about the FiOS Actiontec router all the time, so I always steered clear of it.

I had my D-Link DGL-4100 Gigabit router and a separate DAP-2553 n access point and all was great.

When I added FiOS TV last year (Triple Play) for only $10/month more then I was paying for Double Play (Internet/Voice), with a free DVR (7232) for life, I decided to at least give the Actiontec a try, before considering the dual router configurations that were listed over at DSLReports.

I disconnected the D-Link router, I put the Actiontec router in it's place, and I plugged the D-Link DAP-2553 n access point into the Actiontec.

And all has been perfect, not one single issue. Works great, and I have 20+ IP devices in the home.

The Actiontec was actually better because I like the web interface, and it gets regular firmware updates, which the DGL-4100 didn't.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

I see these negative comments about the FiOS Actiontec router all the time, so I always steered clear of it.

I had my D-Link DGL-4100 Gigabit router and a separate DAP-2553 n access point and all was great.

When I added FiOS TV last year (Triple Play) for only $10/month more then I was paying for Double Play (Internet/Voice), with a free DVR (7232) for life, I decided to at least give the Actiontec a try, before considering the dual router configurations that were listed over at DSLReports.

I disconnected the D-Link router, I put the Actiontec router in it's place, and I plugged the D-Link DAP-2553 n access point into the Actiontec.

And all has been perfect, not one single issue. Works great, and I have 20+ IP devices in the home.

The Actiontec was actually better because I like the web interface, and it gets regular firmware updates, which the DGL-4100 didn't.

What revision Actiontec router did you get? It's my understanding that only the latest revision is an 802.11n, which is what I really need.

My problem with the Actiontec is lack of range. My ONT is in the basement and the router is near the ONT. The wireless signal from the Actiontec just isn't strong enough to cover my whole house and outdoor seating area; that's why I use the Asus router for wireless.

#43 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,027 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

What revision Actiontec router did you get? It's my understanding that only the latest revision is an 802.11n, which is what I really need.

My problem with the Actiontec is lack of range. My ONT is in the basement and the router is near the ONT. The wireless signal from the Actiontec just isn't strong enough to cover my whole house and outdoor seating area; that's why I use the Asus router for wireless.

As mentioned, I'm not using the Actiontec wireless, have a D-Link DAP-2553 as the n access point. Same one I had with the D-Link router, it works great. Can be put anywhere in the house with an Ethernet port.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#44 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

I didn't like their internet service either. Give me an ethernet handoff and let me use my own firewall. They wouldn't let me connect without their POS Actiontec router. If I put it in bridge mode, they'd do a hard reset on it every three days. If I did any port forwarding, they'd reset it every three days. If I deviated from anything other than changing the password, it would be reset every three days. I couldn't do my site-to-site VPN, VoIP would stop working and I had to spend hours on the phone with their (nonexistent) customer service.

You can use your own router if you only use FIOS for internet. Just run a CAT 5 or 6 cable from the ONT to the router of your choice and have them provision it for ethernet over the phone. I haven't used the FIOS router for a couple months now. (You can also use your own with FIOS TV, but you lose some features.)

I went back to D* for TV though when FIOS wouldn't match their offer. And when my deal is up with D*, I'll gladly switch back to FIOS if D* won't match theirs. :) Aside from FIOS customer service not being close to D*'s and FIOS not having nearly as much sports programming, both providers are very similar.

#45 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

As mentioned, I'm not using the Actiontec wireless, have a D-Link DAP-2553 as the n access point. Same one I had with the D-Link router, it works great. Can be put anywhere in the house with an Ethernet port.

I probably should have given the D-Link consideration before getting the Asus router and using the DSL Reports two router workaround. I am curious, however, as to the wireless performance of the latest revision Actiontec router. If I had gotten one I might not have needed to buy any extra equipment. Needs to be asked in a FiOS forum, however.

#46 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

You can use your own router if you only use FIOS for internet. Just run a CAT 5 or 6 cable from the ONT to the router of your choice and have them provision it for ethernet over the phone. I haven't used the FIOS router for a couple months now. (You can also use your own with FIOS TV, but you lose some features.)

I did just that when I only had FiOS internet, since I wanted an 802.11n router and the Actiontec I had was only 802.11g with limited wireless range.

You are right: without the Actiontec VOD and CID will not work with FiOS TV (I believe the guide still works, but I'm not 100% certain)

#47 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Here are some other screen caps. Fios gives your progress bar the ability to scroll in 6 min intervals, with or without video screen cap. It's nice that fios gives u ample choices, various grid/channel views, as well as 2 diff progress bar types. D* gives you limited choices, which is a shame.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by texasmoose, 07 April 2012 - 09:43 PM.

HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#48 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,641 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Here are some other screen caps. Fios gives you the ability to scroll in 6 min intervals with video screen cap too. Nice feature indeed, i wish our D* dvrs had something comparable. 15 min intervals w/no screen cap is kinda of weak.

I are no value to the screen cap. Since they are just time intervals, they mean nothing. I would prefer tick skipping. (I do have a fios dvr. The screen caps did not work for months. I used it the same way as I do with caps.)

They only work on finished recordings. No way to skip to a spot on live buffer or currently recording show.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#49 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

That would cost me $240 a month just for DVRs...
Rich

Hmmm, thought you said something different in another thread?

... And I would only pay 4 x $6 = $24/mo for the 5 HR34's. With your 12 HR2x's, you pay 11 x $6 = $66/mo, which is over $500/yr more for your setup...

Wouldn't work. I've got eight Panny plasmas. The money isn't an issue.

Rich

HR34-700, HR22-100

#50 OFFLINE   davidjplatt

davidjplatt

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:04 PM

There is another option when it comes to FiOS. The Ceton PCIe or USB tuners have dropped to half of their original price - they are now $199 each and have 4 tuners when used with an M-Card cable card. FiOS charges $3.99 a month for an M-Card. I could get two Ceton tuners and put them in two HTPCs and get 8 streams recordable for $7.98 per month. And with the two XBox 360s I have I can use the media extender in the XBox to connect to the HTPCs. You can also share the tuners from the Ceton to another HTPC on the network. So if you had two Ceton tuners and 4 HTPCs you could assign 2 tuners to each PC.

And since I have a Windows Home Server system, all of the recorded programs that are recorded by Media Center are automatically archived to the Home Server and can be accessed by any HTPC or extender on the network.

Right now I am paying $55 for FiOS internet, $34 for Vonage and $156 for DirecTV for HBO, Showtime, Starz/Encore, HD, HD Extra Pack and 4 DVRs with whole home.

FiOS would run about $145 per month plus about $26 in taxes so my monthly cost would drop from $245 to about $71. That's with a multi room DVR free for a year, $8 for an STB and $4 for a cable card. At the end of the year I would return the DVR and STB and get a second cable card. OnDemand or PPV is not an issue for me since I really don't use either on DirecTV. I've used OnDemand a handful of times and done PPV may twice in the late 90's.

The fact that the prices keep going up on DirecTV (I've been with them for 16 years) is a big factor. The sports advantage on DirecTV means nothing to me. The HD channel advantage and channels that FiOS carry that DirecTV doesn't do make a difference to me.

I've had FiOS internet for about 6 years and have had two problems that were Verizon's problems that caused about 4 hours of downtime. I've had ten times as much downtime with DirecTV just for rain fade.

And Verizon phone will definitely be better than Vonage (since I don't make international calls that isn't an issue for me). And I get an internet speed boost on download and a huge bump on upload. My brother had DirecTV before I did and he recently switched to FiOS and loves it - and he's saving a lot of money. The HD picture is definitely better than DirecTV and the SD is far superior.

I'm not saying that Windows Media Center is perfect - but it is a lot farther along than when it started and it's basically just as good as DirecTV's DVRs from what I have seen.

#51 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,047 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Ahhh the old HTPC argument. That's all great and dandy if you have extra PC crap laying around and extenders in rooms...or you can spend $500+ easy for all the stuff.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#52 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Right now I am paying $55 for FiOS internet, $34 for Vonage and $156 for DirecTV for HBO, Showtime, Starz/Encore, HD, HD Extra Pack and 4 DVRs with whole home.

You're paying too much!:eek2:

I have Fios Triple Play for < u pay for fios internet/vonage. I pay $79.99 for all my fios services, and free hd dvr(7232 latest version). I pay < than u for D* too, I have everything u do, except no hbo and 1 less dvr & i pay $___.__, nevermind you'll start cursing @ me.:rolleyes:

Edited by texasmoose, 07 April 2012 - 09:56 PM.

HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#53 OFFLINE   davidjplatt

davidjplatt

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:11 AM

You're paying too much!:eek2:

I have Fios Triple Play for < u pay for fios internet/vonage. I pay $79.99 for all my fios services, and free hd dvr(7232 latest version). I pay < than u for D* too, I have everything u do, except no hbo and 1 less dvr & i pay $___.__, nevermind you'll start cursing @ me.:rolleyes:

My FiOS internet is 30/5 service that has been the same price for 6 years. At the time, $55 a month for 30/5 service was a bargain (regular price was $139/month). Vonage keeps going up - it started at $26.25 (24.95 + tax) and the taxes and fees keep going up - now to $35 a month.

DirecTV keeps raising prices like the DVR fee, additional receiver fee, package fee, premium fees... I could go on an on.

I'll be honest - the one thing that has kept me with DirecTV was the DVRs that DirecTV has. The original FiOS DVRs were crap (both software and hardware), only did 20hrs of HD recordning and were overpriced. The deal right now is a Multi Room DVR and STB for $8 a month for the first year with the triple play (which gives me 35/35 internet instead of 30/5). The high cost of the Ceton 4 tuner cards when they first came out was a deterrrent. But now that 2 Ceton tuners cost the same as the original we are definitely in the ballpark. I'm paying $12 a month for the 2 DirecTV DVRs that a single Ceton card would replace plus $8 a month for the DVR service. That $20 charge would be reduced to $4 a month for the cable card. That gives me 4 tuners at a savings of $16 per month. In month 13 the first Ceton card would go positive in value with the savings of $208.

I'm sure you pay less than I do for DirecTV if you are still in your first pricing period - but watch out after that. The prices will go up and you will get no love from DirecTV. Fortunately I'm out of contract and haven't gotten new equipment from them in over 3 years so I can leave with $0 ETF.

Part of the aggravation with DirecTV is how slow the DVRs have gotten - some times it takes 2 or 3 monutes to get the DVRs to respond to the remote control correctly. They get so slow that when I type in 3 numbers to change channels it loses numbers or delays so long between numbers that it inserts an "enter" command and tries to change to a non-existent channel. When the guide is up it can take 90 seconds for the channel down button to scroll a page in the guide.

I also have a bad taste in my mouth from the failed DirecTV USB tuner for PCs. They sucked me into a beta program with Microsoft waiting for delivery of the DirecTV hardware which never came - and I was already in the beta program for about 10 weeks when they finally admitted the DirecTV hardware had been shelved. Then MS couldn't understand why I wanted to drop out of the beta program...

#54 OFFLINE   davidjplatt

davidjplatt

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

Ahhh the old HTPC argument. That's all great and dandy if you have extra PC crap laying around and extenders in rooms...or you can spend $500+ easy for all the stuff.

The fact that I would be able to control the software that does the DVR functions is enough reason for me to use an HTPC. I already have two HTPCs for OTA and the extenders for that too. Two HTPCs (Intel 2500K's so they certainly have the power) on a gigabit network with two XBox 360s gives me all the connectivity I need.

And the software is at least as friendly as DirecTVs HR20 line of DVRs (which is what I have) and a whole lot more responsive.

#55 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:03 PM

Here's another point that favors Fios, no rain fade. We had a big thunderstorm move through a hour ago or so, turned on D*, searching for signal, toggled to fios, good-to-go. It's nice to have a back-up, we're very fortunate.
HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#56 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

This has been fascinating and great reading.
First off let me say I have been very happy with D* for many years.
I have also been with Verizon internet since the DSL days and have to say it has been rock solid, and reliable, my FiOs service even more so.

Verizon billing is a nightmare, my current double play bundle with cell phone service has been nothing short of a horror show. In fact for 20+ years I cannot make Verizon spell my last name properly.

As far as my CS experience, it has been great with both companies. Honestly both companies have had issues on that point as well.

I do not want to leave D*, but I stand to save $60.00 a month if I switch.

In this economy, I am having a hard time walking away from that.

#57 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

If you're into sports, Fios just doesn't' compare to D*, a gr8 example is their current "Masters" coverage, many hd channels, 3d & a HD Mix channel. Very nice indeed!
HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#58 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Verizon billing is a nightmare.

That's an understatement:eek2:, CSR's aren't gr8 either, D* easily has the better customer service of the 2, imo.
HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#59 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Have to agree with jpl; somehow your system wasn't set up right. HD PQ on FiOS is every bit as good as on DirecTV, while SD PQ is much better. If you changed boxes then maybe the problem was in the ONT or maybe in the coax somewhere.

I don't know why your bill was so high. Fees and additional charges are less than $10/month on my bill.

As for the Internet, I agree that the Actiontec router is junk, but it is needed for TV service. I have my Actiontec router set as primary and I bridge to an Asus router for my wireless LAN. I use VyprVPN and it works with no problems as well. I had VOIP phone service, but it was cheaper to go with the Triple Play and Verizon Digital Voice. I was even able to keep my VOIP phone number. Other than the minor annoyance of having to dial the area code for every outgoing call, I have no complaints.

Don't know what attempts you made to contact Verizon CS, but if it were me I would've had a tech come out to try to figure out what was wrong before canceling altogether. (Yes, I know all about the problems in getting satisfaction from Verizon CS). If everyone had the problems you've had then Verizon would be out of business. I have to believe that yours is an isolated experience.

There may have been an issue with the install. The guy who came out was a real bitch. He kept trying to piece together all the old cable TV coax. I asked him to run a new line, which he didn't want to do. It didn't make sense to use the old stuff since it didn't go into the closet where I wanted it. He wanted to run it into the spare bedroom, around the baseboard, then punch through into the living room closet instead of running one cable around the outside of the house and into the closet through an existing hole. He ended up running the new cable, but he was in a real huff about it, which is probably why he took the remote with him. When he was done, he threw the welcome package on the top shelf in the closet, grabbed the remote, mumbled something and ran out the door. That was the highlight of my Verizon experience, and it went downhill from there.

The ONT was new, the cabling was new. The neighbor had it for a while too and went to Cox for many of the same complaints I had (poor PQ, slow receivers, bad CS). Maybe there was something else going on in our neighborhood.

I can't use the Actiontec router. I need to have an external, routable address on my firewall for StS VPN access. I haven't had any other provider decline the request, but Verizon flat out refused - numerous times.

#60 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,641 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

There may have been an issue with the install. The guy who came out was a real bitch. He kept trying to piece together all the old cable TV coax. I asked him to run a new line, which he didn't want to do. It didn't make sense to use the old stuff since it didn't go into the closet where I wanted it. He wanted to run it into the spare bedroom, around the baseboard, then punch through into the living room closet instead of running one cable around the outside of the house and into the closet through an existing hole. He ended up running the new cable, but he was in a real huff about it, which is probably why he took the remote with him. When he was done, he threw the welcome package on the top shelf in the closet, grabbed the remote, mumbled something and ran out the door. That was the highlight of my Verizon experience, and it went downhill from there.

The ONT was new, the cabling was new. The neighbor had it for a while too and went to Cox for many of the same complaints I had (poor PQ, slow receivers, bad CS). Maybe there was something else going on in our neighborhood.

I can't use the Actiontec router. I need to have an external, routable address on my firewall for StS VPN access. I haven't had any other provider decline the request, but Verizon flat out refused - numerous times.

To be fair, their install is a bitch itself. It really is a rigged together piece of crap that if it works right gives you great internet and great TV PQ. But so much can go wrong and a lot of it did for my install. It took three days to get everything right. Not only do you have multiple paths of data that have to talk to each other, but there are multiple databases at the home office that have to be aligned right.

Mine was complicated because it was in a multi-family dwelling (condo) so it was partially installed, which the fios databases did not seem to like at all.

Mine is still not perfect. I get data drops and issues with On Demand at times but trying to get anything fixed with fios is a nightmare because there are so many points of failure.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...