Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I Switched to FiOS. Comparing the two providers...

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

I can't use the Actiontec router. I need to have an external, routable address on my firewall for StS VPN access. I haven't had any other provider decline the request, but Verizon flat out refused - numerous times.

For a static IP, you need the business plan.

If you don't need a static IP, you can set up the Actiontec as a bridge to the router you want to use. That's not officially supported by Verizon, but there are enough tutorials on the Web on how to do it.

You need the Actiontec router to work as a MoCA router and bridge to the Ethernet. The backs of the FIOS boxes don't have an Ethernet jack, but they all have MoCA built-in.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:11 AM

To be fair, their install is a bitch itself. It really is a rigged together piece of crap that if it works right gives you great internet and great TV PQ. But so much can go wrong and a lot of it did for my install. It took three days to get everything right. Not only do you have multiple paths of data that have to talk to each other, but there are multiple databases at the home office that have to be aligned right.

Mine was fairly straightforward. Both the receiver and router were going into the same closet, so it was just one cable that had to be run. The guy was trying to do it as quickly as possible - he wanted to get the hell out of there. He was over two hours past my appointment window, never bothered calling and didn't want to reschedule. In the end it wasn't the best job, but it wasn't terrible either.

For a static IP, you need the business plan.

If you don't need a static IP, you can set up the Actiontec as a bridge to the router you want to use. That's not officially supported by Verizon, but there are enough tutorials on the Web on how to do it.

You need the Actiontec router to work as a MoCA router and bridge to the Ethernet. The backs of the FIOS boxes don't have an Ethernet jack, but they all have MoCA built-in.

I didn't need a static IP, just a routable one. And I did set it up on bridge mode - a bunch of times. But Verizon would hard reset the router within three days when I configured it.

My STB had an ethernet connection on the back and I used it. When in bridge mode, I forwarded the required ports and it worked fine. Until they reset the Actiontec. Which one doesn't have an ethernet port? All the ones I've ever seen do. You don't even need coax - the whole system can run over ethernet, which is the way I wanted to do it.

#63 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

That's an understatement:eek2:, CSR's aren't gr8 either, D* easily has the better customer service of the 2, imo.

I don't disagree about Verizon AND I am happy with DirecTV....but DirecTV can be a nightmare as well....as has been documented here....a million plus times.

#64 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

I cancelled my DirecTV service a week and a half ago. Guess what comes in the mail today? My first "We Want You Back" letter! I guess I can expect to see them every week now...

#65 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I cancelled my DirecTV service a week and a half ago. Guess what comes in the mail today? My first "We Want You Back" letter! I guess I can expect to see them every week now...

Are you under contract with Verizon? Thankfully I wasn't and was able to take advantage of a pretty good deal going back to DirecTV.

#66 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

No, the letters should taper off. I got two or three initially after I quit last October but nothing lately.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#67 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

I will give DirecTV credit for better sports coverage. FiOS only offers two HD channels for MLB Extra Innings. The other games are SD. That's not a problem for me since I only watch EI during the free previews. :D

For what it's worth, Verizon just added 4 more HD feeds for MLB EI. They're in the process of migrating to mpeg-4, which is how those additional feeds have been set up.

They're about to start migrating some of their current HD channels over to mpeg-4 as well, to make more room. Just FYI.

#68 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

For what it's worth, Verizon just added 4 more HD feeds for MLB EI. They're in the process of migrating to mpeg-4, which is how those additional feeds have been set up.

They're about to start migrating some of their current HD channels over to mpeg-4 as well, to make more room. Just FYI.

The extra HD channels were not available on FiOS for the free preview customers. Fortunately the FiOS SD PQ is fairly good.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#69 OFFLINE   fireponcoal

fireponcoal

Icon

• Registered
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Very glad to see the transition to mpeg4.

#70 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

We can hope but I have not heard anything beyond MLB EI for mpeg-4 for fios as yet. Where did you hear that? It would be good news for fios customers.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#71 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

We can hope but I have not heard anything beyond MLB EI for mpeg-4 for fios as yet. Where did you hear that? It would be good news for fios customers.

Yeah, there are plans in the works. They're about to convert some of their other channels. I won't say where I heard this, or which channels, though. I promised I wouldn't.

#72 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, there are plans in the works. They're about to convert some of their other channels.

I won't say where I heard this

or which channels, though. I promised I wouldn't.

I won't say where I heard this = @ dslreports

or which channels = the .tv channels

#73 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

Actually... I'd heard more than that. But yes, I did see that thread on dslreports. There are other plans in the works, though.

#74 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

The useless .tv channels.

You forgot that word.

:)
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#75 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

I switched to FiOS when I moved last year.

The net-net?

I miss DirecTV. The DirecTV+ DVR's are far superior. Much easier to use, much smoother.

Now, having said that...

My total FiOS bill (25/25 Internet, 2 phone lines, FiOS TV, 3 DVR's, 1 HD STB, 1 SD STB, lifetime "multi room dvr") is $151/month.

When I had DirecTV, my bill was $130/mo... and then another $100/mo for Internet + phone from Cablevision.

So, I miss DirecTV... but having an extra $1,000/year in my pocket more than balances it out.

#76 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:28 AM

I switched to FiOS when I moved last year.

The net-net?

I miss DirecTV. The DirecTV+ DVR's are far superior. Much easier to use, much smoother.
Now, having said that...

My total FiOS bill (25/25 Internet, 2 phone lines, FiOS TV, 3 DVR's, 1 HD STB, 1 SD STB, lifetime "multi room dvr") is $151/month.

When I had DirecTV, my bill was $130/mo... and then another $100/mo for Internet + phone from Cablevision.

So, I miss DirecTV... but having an extra $1,000/year in my pocket more than balances it out.

Been with FIOS for two weeks (have their HD-DVR) After two weeks, I can safely say that the DirectTV HD DVR I had was by far much better then the current FIOS DVR that I have. I wont even get into how underwhelmed I feel about FIOS HD quality compared to Ds. I will acknowledge though that FIOS has great triple play bundle prices.

#77 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

Been with FIOS for two weeks (have their HD-DVR) After two weeks, I can safely say that the DirectTV HD DVR I had was by far much better then the current FIOS DVR that I have. I wont even get into how underwhelmed I feel about FIOS HD quality compared to Ds. I will acknowledge though that FIOS has great triple play bundle prices.

It's funny how people see things differently on this topic. I returned to Directv a couple months ago (having come from FiOS), but after three months of buggy DVR's, missed recordings, interminable channel changes and rain fade, I'm back with FiOS. I'll miss the 5-tuner ability of the HR34, but with 1.5 GB on the two FiOS DVR's (one free for life), I won't miss it too much. As for the HD, I think they look pretty much the same.

#78 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Is that the "1yr promo" price or your "after promo" price. I've been vacillating switching for a year and have been pricing Fios on and off for months and the best I can come up with is around $140 for 2DVRs & 1HD (inc MRV DVR for life), 1 phone line (which I don't even want but would take for the discount package) and 25/25 then about $20 more after the 1st year. Still a nice savings for me but you've got a heck of a deal with all those receivers. (I have had Fios internet for quite a while).

#79 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

Is that the "1yr promo" price or your "after promo" price. I've been vacillating switching for a year and have been pricing Fios on and off for months and the best I can come up with is around $140 for 2DVRs & 1HD (inc MRV DVR for life), 1 phone line (which I don't even want but would take for the discount package) and 25/25 then about $20 more after the 1st year. Still a nice savings for me but you've got a heck of a deal with all those receivers. (I have had Fios internet for quite a while).

Mine is 2 DVRs, 2 HD STBs, 1 SD STB, 50/20 for $134 (two-year contract). Added the movie package (HBO, SHO, STARZ, CINEMAX, EPIX) at half price $19.99 for 12 months too.

#80 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Mine is 2 DVRs, 2 HD STBs, 1 SD STB, 50/20 for $134 (two-year contract). Added the movie package (HBO, SHO, STARZ, CINEMAX, EPIX) at half price $19.99 for 12 months too.

Was this a "triple play?" and did you do this through the website or through a phone call?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...