Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I Switched to FiOS. Comparing the two providers...

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Was this a "triple play?" and did you do this through the website or through a phone call?

Phone call. For me, trying to place orders on the V* website has always been a nightmare. Unlike D*'s, which is the clear winner in website useability.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

Phone call. For me, trying to place orders on the V* website has always been a nightmare. Unlike D*'s, which is the clear winner in website useability.

I read so many horror stories from people who were given package prices by phone with Verizon and ended up get totally ripped with fees way over what was promised to them and no way to prove what they were told. At least online you can make printscreens.

#83 OFFLINE   sangs

sangs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

Well I always ask for - and receive - a confirmation email breaking it down. Anybody that doesn't do the same is playing with fire. And that goes for any company you're doing biz with, not just V*.

#84 OFFLINE   thomas_d92

thomas_d92

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:48 AM

why do all the people complaining about fios dvr's just use a Tivo elite ? I would if I could get Fios.

#85 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

why do all the people complaining about fios dvr's just use a Tivo elite ? I would if I could get Fios.

1. It cost about $400.

2. Not sure that Verizon will allow this setup.

In either case I am satisfied with my FiOS multi-room DVR. Multi is a bit of an overkill. There's only one other room. :)
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#86 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

I had TiVo for comcast. When I went fios, I gave my TiVo away. Fios dvr not great but tired of the TiVo issues with cable and lack of on demand.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#87 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Here in northern NJ with the fios ultimate package we get ALL the premium channels of hbo,starz,cinemax,epix,showtime,encore so its about 28 HD channels not counting the west versions.

Just wish they would do OAR as they hardly ever do but at least its good for shows like game of thrones, inside the nfl & stuff like that.

#88 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

1. It cost about $400.

2. Not sure that Verizon will allow this setup.

In either case I am satisfied with my FiOS multi-room DVR. Multi is a bit of an overkill. There's only one other room. :)

When I had FiOS, I was going to go with TiVo. Back then they didn't have lifetime and the subscription was $20/mo. Even now, it's $15/mo or $500 for lifetime (on top of the cost of the receiver). Too expensive. If the HD PQ would have been better, I may have tried TiVo anyway. Verizon's DVR is unusable.

Verizon allows the setup, but charges for a CableCARD (around $5/mo, IIRC). But you lose FiOS Interactive Media Guide, On Demand, FiOS TV Widgets and Parental Controls since the cards are only unidirectional.

I'm getting ready to go back to FiOS for internet only. I'm bundling it through DirecTV.

#89 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

Why? Maybe about $400 up front, $15/month from Tivo and $5 month for the cable card.

#90 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Is that the "1yr promo" price or your "after promo" price. I've been vacillating switching for a year and have been pricing Fios on and off for months and the best I can come up with is around $140 for 2DVRs & 1HD (inc MRV DVR for life), 1 phone line (which I don't even want but would take for the discount package) and 25/25 then about $20 more after the 1st year. Still a nice savings for me but you've got a heck of a deal with all those receivers. (I have had Fios internet for quite a while).

That's my 2-year price. In 2 years, nominally, my discount expires and it goes up $20.... Even if I can't renegotiate that price (I bet I can :), it's still way cheaper than DirecTV+Optimum Online+Optimum Voice ever was.

I need at least one landline for my home office... the second one is the house number. My wife and I are in our mid 30's and still live in the past... what can I say; old habits die hard!

#91 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

It's funny how people see things differently on this topic. I returned to Directv a couple months ago (having come from FiOS), but after three months of buggy DVR's, missed recordings, interminable channel changes and rain fade, I'm back with FiOS. I'll miss the 5-tuner ability of the HR34, but with 1.5 GB on the two FiOS DVR's (one free for life), I won't miss it too much. As for the HD, I think they look pretty much the same.

Yep, it boils down to individual experiences. Switched back to Direct on friday and I'm very happy to be back. The re-connect offer they gave was pretty decent for me. I still plan to stay with FIOS (for internet and phone) provided they offer me the double play promo price for it. I will miss CSN Philly, but I wont miss the clunky DVR interface.

#92 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:59 AM

That's my 2-year price. In 2 years, nominally, my discount expires and it goes up $20.... Even if I can't renegotiate that price (I bet I can :), it's still way cheaper than DirecTV+Optimum Online+Optimum Voice ever was.

I need at least one landline for my home office... the second one is the house number. My wife and I are in our mid 30's and still live in the past... what can I say; old habits die hard!

Wow, great value. I have 2 dedicated phone lines from another Voip provider. Costs me less than $9/month for BOTH lines INCLUDING taxes which is why I really don't need a triple play package but would take it just for the package.

The main problem I have with switching is like with a woman who has been with the same gynecologist or same hairdresser for 30 years. It's difficult giving up what you are used to and have had no problem with for the unknown! :lol: I think $$$$ are what is going to ultimately drive me to switch. Once my D* discount goes away in a few months will probably be the time.

#93 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:51 AM

One HUGE advantage of FIOS here in Philly is that they carry CSN-Philadelphia.

#94 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

When I had FiOS, I was going to go with TiVo. Back then they didn't have lifetime and the subscription was $20/mo. Even now, it's $15/mo or $500 for lifetime (on top of the cost of the receiver). Too expensive. If the HD PQ would have been better, I may have tried TiVo anyway. Verizon's DVR is unusable.

Verizon allows the setup, but charges for a CableCARD (around $5/mo, IIRC). But you lose FiOS Interactive Media Guide, On Demand, FiOS TV Widgets and Parental Controls since the cards are only unidirectional.

I'm getting ready to go back to FiOS for internet only. I'm bundling it through DirecTV.

Can you do that in areas where FIOS offers TV? I thought you can only the D*-FIOS Internet bundle in areas where FIOS TV wasn't available?

#95 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

One HUGE advantage of FIOS here in Philly is that they carry CSN-Philadelphia.

indeed! During the two weeks I had FIOS TV, I really enjoyed having CSN Philly.

#96 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

Can you do that in areas where FIOS offers TV? I thought you can only the D*-FIOS Internet bundle in areas where FIOS TV wasn't available?

I know thats true with my phone company.

#97 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

I had that combination for a couple of years before I went all FiOS last October.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#98 OFFLINE   evane

evane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hey jimbo, :wave: from another Buffalo boy...

I've had Fios TV/Internet bundle for almost 2 years now, the picture quality has always been excellent, especially when compared to TWC locally.

I came from Dish Network with a VIP722, so when I got my QIP-7216 it was a rough adjustment and I still hate the damn thing, 20hrs of HD?? I mean really. The software when I first joined was still IMG 1.8 with the letter boxed 4:3 guide. IMG 1.9 was a big leap ahead for them in terms of functionality. I still do get conflicting reports on weather when you can have two DVR's with Home Media enabled if they will be able to stream between each other. I know as of now they won't do tuner pooling, so you have to schedule between each DVR.

http://www22.verizon...ser guides.htm#

Those are there receiver models they have had.

Overall besides my annoyances with the channel layout and the DVR size, I have had only one major issue with them a month or so back I lost service for almost 2 days they had a major outage in the northeast. I got my main TV back but quickly but it took me almost 4 days to get the spare bedrooms back. Dealing with there customer service is maddening.

To the person who said a couple of pages back that you can't put your own router in, that is just plain wrong. There are a few methods to do this.

#99 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

it was a rough adjustment and I still hate the damn thing, 20hrs of HD?? I mean really.

Just go to your local Verizon store that supports Fios and swap it out for the newer model. As for multiple DVR's on multi-room I have read many times of it being done. The common problem I have heard is that most CSR's don't have a clue on how to enable it and therefor say it can't be done. I have read many messages from people who have it.

#100 OFFLINE   evane

evane

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Just go to your local Verizon store that supports Fios and swap it out for the newer model. As for multiple DVR's on multi-room I have read many times of it being done. The common problem I have heard is that most CSR's don't have a clue on how to enable it and therefor say it can't be done. I have read many messages from people who have it.

I know the Cisco UCS 435 or Moto 7212 would be fine, but I have been procrastinating doing so, since I am considering just cutting the cable coord completely.

I actually tried a eSATA drive a while back that was on the supported list and it was a epic fail, the VZ CSR's tryed to blame the drive but the drive worked fine on windows. Eventually they just told me to do a receiver swap, which at that point the external drive becomes moot since I could get the bigger box.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...