Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I Switched to FiOS. Comparing the two providers...

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   jpl

jpl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hey jimbo, :wave: from another Buffalo boy...

I've had Fios TV/Internet bundle for almost 2 years now, the picture quality has always been excellent, especially when compared to TWC locally.

I came from Dish Network with a VIP722, so when I got my QIP-7216 it was a rough adjustment and I still hate the damn thing, 20hrs of HD?? I mean really. The software when I first joined was still IMG 1.8 with the letter boxed 4:3 guide. IMG 1.9 was a big leap ahead for them in terms of functionality. I still do get conflicting reports on weather when you can have two DVR's with Home Media enabled if they will be able to stream between each other. I know as of now they won't do tuner pooling, so you have to schedule between each DVR.

http://www22.verizon...ser guides.htm#

Those are there receiver models they have had.

Overall besides my annoyances with the channel layout and the DVR size, I have had only one major issue with them a month or so back I lost service for almost 2 days they had a major outage in the northeast. I got my main TV back but quickly but it took me almost 4 days to get the spare bedrooms back. Dealing with there customer service is maddening.

To the person who said a couple of pages back that you can't put your own router in, that is just plain wrong. There are a few methods to do this.

Just some clarification. You only designate one of your DVRs as the Home Media DVR, but you can still stream recordings DVR to DVR. You are correct about the tuner pooling, though. Would be a nice to have, but it's not there yet.

As for getting more recording space, you have two options:

1) Get an external drive, and you can store up to an additional 2 TB of programming.

2) Swap out for the 7232. Go to: www.verizon.com/fiostvcentral, and log in. You'll see an icon giving direction on upgrading to the 7232. It's a one time $40 upgrade fee, but it guarantees you the 7232. That's the route that I went a year ago. You put in your e-mail address, and they send you an e-mail with a link to the offer. Hit the link and agree to the terms, and the DVR is sent to you. Mine came about a day after I submitted for it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Just go to your local Verizon store that supports Fios and swap it out for the newer model. As for multiple DVR's on multi-room I have read many times of it being done. The common problem I have heard is that most CSR's don't have a clue on how to enable it and therefor say it can't be done. I have read many messages from people who have it.

With the "old" software, doing MRV between DVRs didn't work (or if it did, you need Special Papal Dispensation for it.)

With the "new" version 1.9 software, MRV from DVR-to-DVR works great out of the box... I'm doing it here.

As a long-time DirecTV junkie, I'm completely spoiled and a non-DVR box just won't do. Unacceptable.

MRV is a wonderful thing - the one feature that's missing (and I hear is coming at some point) is the ability to schedule a recording on another DVR from this one (i.e. I click record on the remote, and tell it to save the recording on a 'remote' DVR.) Other than that, it works incredible well.

spam firewall