Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will the attached diagram work for MRV?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

I created the attached diagram showing my existing internet connection and the new components I think I need to convert my unsupported ethernet MRV to a SWM / DECA MRV. I would appreciate a DBSTALK critique of the diagram's contents and not the diagram. Would this setup provide the internet to my two HR24s? Do I need the Band Stop filter shown in the diagram? Thanks to all for your past assistance and future help. Best wishes!

Attached Thumbnails

• MRV01.JPG

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

NO, because the second splitter feeding the BB DECA/CCK & receiver is mounted/connected backwards
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Reverse the second splitter, the in port needs to connect to the out port on the upper splitter. Otherwise looks ok.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Thanks for the help. I modified the diagram per your suggestions and added the Switch which I forgot about, see attachment.

1. Do I need the Band Stop filter?

2. Could I use a 4-way splitter with a terminator on one of the outputs inplace of the two 2-way splitters?

3. What does D* normally charge for this setup, labor and components?

Attached Thumbnails

• MRV01e.JPG

Edited by allenn, 03 April 2012 - 01:14 AM.

2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

Thanks for the help. I modified the diagram per your suggestions and added the Switch which I forgot about, see attachment.

1. Do I need the Band Stop filter?

2. Could I use a 4-way splitter with a terminator on one of the outputs inplace of the two 2-way splitters?

3. What does D* normally charge for this setup, labor and components?

First, if this is a DirecTV install, they'll use a SWiMLNB instead of the SWM8.
The BSF would only be used with old SWiMs that don't have one built in.
A 4-way would work just as well.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

......The BSF would only be used with old SWiMs that don't have one built in.....

Does a SWM8 have a Band Stop Filter?

I'm probably going to do the SWM / DECA MRV install myself. I currently have 4 RG6U lines running into my house from the Slim5, so a SWM-LNB would be more complicated. D* recently replaced one of the LNB's and the tech corrected the dish alignment and replaced all of the coax connectors. It looks like the component costs should be less than $200 which is reasonable.

Thanks for the assistance. You have been a great help!

2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
Linksys WRT310N

#7 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

Does a SWM8 have a Band Stop Filter?

Thanks for the assistance. You have been a great help!

Early ones didn't and the newer ones do, so check that there is a green sticker/label to know it has one.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

If you get a green labeled SWM8 you won't need the bandstop filter.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Green label it is. eBay seems to have the best prices. I still need to see what D* will do before I order the components. Thanks again for all your help!

2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
Linksys WRT310N

Protected By... spam firewall...And...