Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EHD causes Hopper to freeze at time of update...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:48 AM

I posted about my problem in the 2.04 software thread: my Hopper was inoperable and requiring a reset every morning since day one. Something was happening in the early AM probably at the time a system check/update was pushed. I called tech support and the issue was reported to engineering, but no fix.
One constant symptom of this "morning sickness" was also the EHD (a WD MyBook 750) left spinning. So I decided to try and disconnect it from the Hopper.
Voilà. Problem solved. Hopper is fine.
The EHD was formatted and used with a ViP622 for 2 years. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I connected it to the upper and everything (or so I thought) worked fine.
Now, is there a fix for this?
I have about 400GB worth of recordings on the EHD. Would it be possible to transfer all onto the Hopper hard drive and re-format the EHD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

There are three things with EHD what will not be fixed by reformatting: bad sectors (need special program for fix it - free:MHDD or Victoria), bad USB controller (I have plenty of them from Seagate's enclosures) and HDD's power management settings (spin down after a minutes of inactivity, do not spin-on after power up before first command).
You could transfer these to h2k's drive if the pause bug is irritating you. It will take months before such low priority thing will be fixed in FW.

#3 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

It's not a huge problem for now. The EHD works perfectly, I jus need to plug it in when I want to use it and remember to unplug it for the night. I don't use it that often.
So far the Hopper is great, and this is a minor inconvenience for me.
Hopefully sooner or later this would be fixed.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,894 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

I would check a health of the EHD - drives often failing without visible reason. MHDD or Victoria are very useful for that tests.

#5 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

It's not a huge problem for now. The EHD works perfectly, I jus need to plug it in when I want to use it and remember to unplug it for the night. I don't use it that often.
So far the Hopper is great, and this is a minor inconvenience for me.
Hopefully sooner or later this would be fixed.

FWIW I've never left a EHD powered up all the time on the DVR or computer. I always leave the USB cable plugged in and when I want to use the EHD I just plug in the Power plug and when done unplug it again.

I figure why put the wear and tear on the drive if I won't be using it for a while.
Same with the computer. Turn off when not using it, flip the power strip switch which removes power to the computer and EHDs. Also used with a UPS.

So bottom line your now doing what I've always done.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#6 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

Bump. You are the same OP of this other thread ( http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203375 ) and I believe that my post is relevant to this discussion as well: http://www.dbstalk.c...912#post3012912

Protected By... spam firewall...And...