Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will DirecTV force a SWiM LNB upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

I want to...

1. Upgrade my setup to WHDVR/DECA.
2. Upgrade one of my receivers to a second DVR.
3. Have my dish moved due to line of sight issues with a tree.
4. AND keep the one legacy (RCA) receiver I still have on my setup for reasons I won't go into here.

I have read numerous times that if I have DirecTV do the WHDVR equipment upgrade, they will install an LNB upgrade and they won't allow me to keep my old legacy receiver in a supported install. However, I have also read that if I have a SWM8 setup, do the install myself, and turn on WHDVR in an unsupported mode, that the RCA receiver could use one of the legacy ports on the SWM8. I understand that it won't "participate" in the DECA cloud and that is fine.

So what I am thinking is...

1. Buy a SWM8 (to replace the current Zinwell WB68)
2. Buy and place DECA's on the 3 H21's, and the HR21 I already have.
3. Keep the H24 the same way it is now (built in DECA).
4. Connect the RCA receiver to a legacy port on the SWM8.
5. install a connection kit to enable internet access via the DECA cloud.
6. Email support to enable WHDVR in unsupported mode.

Then, call DirecTV to find out what kind of price I would get on getting a receiver to DVR upgrade and dish relocation due to line of sight issues with a tree.

So the biggest unknown at this point is whether DirecTV would require me to upgrade to a LNB SWiM setup and force a legacy receiver upgrade by having the dish moved? I wouldn't expect it to trigger just because of a receiver upgrade.

Also, are there any other pieces/parts that I will need for this upgrade that aren't listed above (band pass filter, splitters, etc?).

TIA for any assistance/suggestions.

J

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

I can tell you that a local, authorized LSP dealer would not require you to upgrade to a swm lnb with a dish relocation, then all you have to do is call directv for a receiver upgrade.

#3 OFFLINE   kvine24

kvine24

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

I want to...

1. Upgrade my setup to WHDVR/DECA.
2. Upgrade one of my receivers to a second DVR.
3. Have my dish moved due to line of sight issues with a tree.
4. AND keep the one legacy (RCA) receiver I still have on my setup for reasons I won't go into here.

I have read numerous times that if I have DirecTV do the WHDVR equipment upgrade, they will install an LNB upgrade and they won't allow me to keep my old legacy receiver in a supported install. However, I have also read that if I have a SWM8 setup, do the install myself, and turn on WHDVR in an unsupported mode, that the RCA receiver could use one of the legacy ports on the SWM8. I understand that it won't "participate" in the DECA cloud and that is fine.

So what I am thinking is...

1. Buy a SWM8 (to replace the current Zinwell WB68)
2. Buy and place DECA's on the 3 H21's, and the HR21 I already have.
3. Keep the H24 the same way it is now (built in DECA).
4. Connect the RCA receiver to a legacy port on the SWM8.
5. install a connection kit to enable internet access via the DECA cloud.
6. Email support to enable WHDVR in unsupported mode.

Then, call DirecTV to find out what kind of price I would get on getting a receiver to DVR upgrade and dish relocation due to line of sight issues with a tree.

So the biggest unknown at this point is whether DirecTV would require me to upgrade to a LNB SWiM setup and force a legacy receiver upgrade by having the dish moved? I wouldn't expect it to trigger just because of a receiver upgrade.

Also, are there any other pieces/parts that I will need for this upgrade that aren't listed above (band pass filter, splitters, etc?).

TIA for any assistance/suggestions.

J

Yeah they'll require install. It's based off the current account status (compatible equipment and equipment displayed from previous work orders)

#4 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

Installers should also not leave a job with something connected to a legacy port on a SWM 8. If they do they could fail a QA check which isn't worth it to them.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   Sunner73

Sunner73

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Installers should also not leave a job with something connected to a legacy port on a SWM 8. If they do they could fail a QA check which isn't worth it to them.

Why would they "fail" a QA check when the customer wants to keep a legacy receiver active?
Directv customer since 2001
1 HR34-50" Projection TV
2 HR24-27" HDTV/Monitor & 27" CRT
2 DSR704 DTivo's (no locals)-32" CRTs
1 DSR7000 DTivo-27" CRT
Only the 2 DSR704's MRV'ed

Upgraded to AU9 Slimline w/SWM16 w/uS575 stacker feeding a LAL20a amp supplying single coax to each of the 3 DSR's w/dual destackers.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Why would they "fail" the QA check when the customer wants to keep a legacy receiver active?

Legacy ports have a lower signal level, so this can cause 771 errors, with weather.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Sunner73

Sunner73

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

Legacy ports have a lower signal level, so this can cause 771 errors, with weather.

Thanks for the info, I've just recently switched over to a SWM8 with 4 legacy receivers but I'm using an amp on the legacy side so that will hopefully minimize a 771 from ever happening.

Curious... I have never seen a 771 error displayed despite numerous occasions when the picture started to pixel then even go completely black (this only happens during the most extreme weather situations), which for me has only been witnessed less than 10 times in over 10 years (either during playback of a show or when watching live TV).
Directv customer since 2001
1 HR34-50" Projection TV
2 HR24-27" HDTV/Monitor & 27" CRT
2 DSR704 DTivo's (no locals)-32" CRTs
1 DSR7000 DTivo-27" CRT
Only the 2 DSR704's MRV'ed

Upgraded to AU9 Slimline w/SWM16 w/uS575 stacker feeding a LAL20a amp supplying single coax to each of the 3 DSR's w/dual destackers.

#8 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,940 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info, I've just recently switched over to a SWM8 with 4 legacy receivers but I'm using an amp on the legacy side ...

I thought there were only three legacy ports on the SWM8. So I'm going to assume you are using two of the legacy outputs to feed a 2x4 or 2x8 multiswitch which is then feeding your legacy receivers.

If that is the case, then you might also consider using dual port power passing, high frequency splitters on the non-tone lines between the dish and your SWM8, and use those outputs to feed your legacy switch. I doubt you would need an amp either.

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Why would they "fail" a QA check when the customer wants to keep a legacy receiver active?

There's also the fact that if DIRECTV did the SWM install they swapped out all of the receivers for SWM compatible during that install as well so it's all supported equipment. Adding non supported items just cost the company money due to problems they can cause.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...