Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Moving from unsupported MRV to Deca

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Yes, with this bb deca, you'll need a green dot splitter and a short jumper unless you have a second coax to that location.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Cool, thanks. Picked up one for 6 bucks on amazon. Now I need to search for a short jumper!

#23 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,166 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

It can actually be any length, I just said 'short' to keep down the clutter. I've even used the 'twist on' connectors temporarily in a pinch.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#24 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Yeah I have a billion other cables around, but I don't usually hang onto coax.

#25 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

the internet switch I have near my office HR21 is only 10/100. Should I buy a gigabit switch to replace it? Does DECA speed warrant that?

#26 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

the internet switch I have near my office HR21 is only 10/100. Should I buy a gigabit switch to replace it? Does DECA speed warrant that?

DECA only uses the router for internet access. A 10/100 switch is more than adequate for any speed you can get from an internet connection. Now, if you have other computers on the switch, that is where the added speed will come in handy. Personally, for the price difference, I always use Gigabit to replace anything, just to be up to date.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

DECA only uses the router for internet access. A 10/100 switch is more than adequate for any speed you can get from an internet connection. Now, if you have other computers on the switch, that is where the added speed will come in handy. Personally, for the price difference, I always use Gigabit to replace anything, just to be up to date.

And to directly answer the DECA question: They're 100 Megabit.
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   kmattoo

kmattoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thanks guys, got my last piece delivered today and took about 15m to set up. Seems like everything is working okay. Takes a few seconds to get rolling, but about the same as my previous setup. I'll see how it is after a few days.

With my non deca setup, my living room receiver wasn't seeing new recordings from my den unless I ran advanced network setup. Hopefully this deca fixes that issue!

spam firewall