Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Viacom Channel Takedown Information

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tasydra

Tasydra

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:41 PM

Troll's ruin things.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   stickyfingers

stickyfingers

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:45 PM

Is this the "explosive news?"

Just sounds like poopy news to me.

Brian

#3 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:47 PM

If Charlie actually lets this happen he's got more balls then I thought. I think this move might just tick off a few of his customers. I guess Viacom brass didn't see him playing poker last month on the chat ;)

OH, I've got it! This is all part of Charlies grand plan, he dumps all these channels and now he's got enough space on 110 to add more HD programming without having to wait for AMC-15 to launch. :rolleyes:

#4 OFFLINE   Tasydra

Tasydra

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:48 PM

Is this the "explosive news?"

Just sounds like poopy news to me.

Brian

I didn't say it would be GOOD news. :D

-Tasy

#5 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:48 PM

At least the Daily Show comes on at 11pm.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#6 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:54 PM

Holy Moly.

I reaaaaaaalllly doubt they will let this happen... if it means bending over at 11:59pm I dont think Dish management would let these channels drop. Thats HUGE!!! (Im not questioning your info Tasy, just doubting if it will end in these channels being dropped).

Sheesh-- if that DOES come to pass.... Im dropping dish immediately. Hands down.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:55 PM

Damn...that would certainly hurt...
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#8 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:55 PM

Charlie's out of his mind if he lets this happen. People choose their provider largely based on the channels that are offered. Dish needs these channels a hell of a lot more than Viacom needs Dish. If they are off for even a day, I'm heading to Directv or dare I say it, mabye even cable.

Dennis

#9 OFFLINE   Sparkman87

Sparkman87

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:56 PM

And here's what D* has in response to this:

http://biz.yahoo.com...7/nyw077_1.html

#10 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 03:57 PM

Oh, great I will FINALLY get my 921 tomorrow and CBS goes away (I'm assuming CBS-HD gets yanked along with WCBS out of NY in my DMA)

Once again, with ANY stoppage, I can't see it lasting long as they both need each other too badly. Can Viacom REALLY afford to walk away from 9 Million households?

I wonder why this snuck up on people though?
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   greylar

greylar

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:06 PM

Well, ****.
It seems that we maybe losing Viacom channels by TONIGHT, at midnight, 1/7/2004. If no agreement can be reached by then, we will loose a lot of channels.

Can you provide your source? I can't find anything on the negotiations.

Thanks,
G

#12 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:06 PM

Other stations:

KCCO - Alexandria, MN
KCCW - Walker, MN

Remember that these are NOT 100%. There is a chance that the contract to carry these channels will be renewed at 11.59 PM. Just letting you all know, laters.

I'm not doubting the channels that were originally listed get taken off, but the 2 above (KCCO & KCCW) CANNOT be taken off of Dish because THEY'RE NOT ON THERE TO BEGIN WITH!!! Both are satellites of WCCO (CBS 4 Mpls), but neither are on Dish...so why are they on the list??

just my .02

#13 OFFLINE   willy

willy

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:07 PM

Tasy---

Is this because negotiations are still going on this late in the game, or because there is a standoff that doesnt look like either side will budge?

I know personally that in many corp. deals, agreements are held off until late in the game. My company has a HUGE global client that *always* plays hardball until *THREE HOURS* before the fiscal year ends! This company is "inside" what you are posting this message with (unless you are using linux). :)

#14 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:07 PM

Something smells fishy here.......
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   dbdsac

dbdsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:08 PM

Damn...that would certainly hurt...

I agree...my house has 3 kids in it that would be devistated (oh, OK, I admit I like cartoons too! Just look at my avatar :sure: ) to lose Nick and Noggin. Nickelodian and sports programming are the programming most watched at my house. Charlie PLEASE do not let this happen!

#16 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:15 PM

Once again, with ANY stoppage, I can't see it lasting long as they both need each other too badly. Can Viacom REALLY afford to walk away from 9 Million households?

Yes they can, because they know the 9 million households will follow them soon enough.

Dennis

#17 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:16 PM

They arent going away
Its fishy to me..here are my reasons.

We may also loose the following CBS Stations in these cities:

WCCO Minneapolis, WI
KCCO - Alexandria, MN
WJMN - Escanba, WI
KCCW - Walker, MN

Where the hell are Mpls, WI and Escanba, WI? Its Mpls, MN and Escanaba, MI
The other 3 (minus WCCO) arent even on Dish to begin with..so how can they be taken off?? KCCO & KCCW are satellites of WCCO and never will be on Dish.

#18 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:24 PM

Their will be a last minet reprieve, Charlie can not let this happen, it would be a devastating blow and write on the hills of a price increase and at the same time D* signing a deal, could not be a worse time for this to happen and I do not believe it will. I suspect tomorrow morning we will see an extension which I thought from earlier press releases they had or their will be an announcement of a deal similar to what D* has signed.

#19 Guest_gpflepsen_*

Guest_gpflepsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:30 PM

Next C Chat... Charlie will let it be known a short service interruption has been ended by a higher cost Viacom contract. Also mentioned will be last December's C Chat and the comment of TW's new contract also carrying with it increased fees. This will all allow Chas to introduce the rate increase and not look like the bad guy. Just wait.

#20 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 04:31 PM

Directv is looking better by the nanosecond!

spam firewall