Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Second Home

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jrr4

jrr4

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:31 AM

My folks have a beach house and would very much like to dump Time Warner for Directv, which is what they have at home. In speaking to a representative (I was calling on my own account), she informed me that as they have an existing account, there would be no promotional offers available to them. That seems ridiculous, as this would be essentially a new account transferring from cable.

I'm completely familiar with the complaint that Directv doesn't take care of existing customers (having been one since 1996), but this seems ridiculous.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ“ก

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

opening a new account with some one who has never have DirecTV service will qualify for the new customers promotions. so if your folks service is on your dad's name, opening the account on your mom's name will let you get the free stuff.

#3 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

If they're not at both houses at the same time, I say put up a dish at the 2nd house and just take the receiver with them when they switch houses. It's more hassle, but if you're as cheap as I am it's well worth it.

#4 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

In speaking to a representative (I was calling on my own account), she informed me that as they have an existing account, there would be no promotional offers available to them

thats incorrect...dependent upon account eligibility there are offers pretty much the same as the national offers available....
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

They need to call and speak with the movers department who would let them know what their options are. However a second account is not eligible for the same level of equipment and programming discounts that a new account gets. Just have them call and get the information that they qualify for.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

However a second account is not eligible for the same level of equipment and programming discounts that a new account gets

As stated that depends upon account eligibility...but yes a call is the best bet
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ“ก

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

However a second account is not eligible for the same level of equipment and programming discounts that a new account gets. .

this is why is recommended to get another account under someone else's name.

#8 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

They have esentually two (legal) options.

First, if they are "snowbirds" where they split their time between two places, all they need do is call the "mover's connection" the next time they shift to the beach. DirecTV will install a set up that accomodates their current level of service. They need only move their boxes. Then, every time they shift thereafter, they simply call the same "mover's connection" and transfer their service back (and forth, and back and forth) between the two places, informing the CSR that the previous resident has left behind appropriate dishes.

Or second, if they spend weekends and such at the beach, just set up a second account in another name and using the beach's address. If the account is in dad's name, use mom's.

#9 OFFLINE   flaguy

flaguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

I think that the "mover's connection" is the best option. All that is required is that you bring the receiver(s) back and forth. Each time you switch locations, you can call and have the locals switched as well. We did it for a long time before selling one of the homes. There's no extra charge.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...