Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Poor HD quality

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Brian6751

Brian6751

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hi everyone. . This is my first post. I am a former Direct TV customer and I have some issues with my HD picture. It looks like DVD. I know all my settings are correct. I have the Hopper receiver. It's on hdmi now. I tried component but it was about the same.

My Direct TV HD picture was crystal clear. What should I do? Thanks for the help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

One or more of your assumptions are faulty.

Either your receiver is not set up correctly, or the TV is not performing correctly, or maybe you are on an HD channel presently showing SD programming, or maybe you are actually on an SD channel.

There is an ongoing dialog as to whether Dish or DirecTV has a better HD picture. Consensus seems to lean toward DirecTV being marginally better if any at all (some displays/programming make this irrelevant).

I have also heard that the Hopper/Joey system supposedly has a better picture than the earlier Dish receivers, but DVD quality, NEVER - if things are set up correctly.

I would look in the setup for the HDTV setup and make sure it is set to 1080i and 16X9.

If you indeed feel that the picture is inferior, call the installer. Only call Dish directly if you can't contact the installer. This has something to do with the way Dish pays and docks installers for installs and call backs. Well, he should have done it right the first time, so go ahead and call Dish about the problem.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   Brian6751

Brian6751

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

One or more of your assumptions are faulty.

Either your receiver is not set up correctly, or the TV is not performing correctly, or maybe you are on an HD channel presently showing SD programming, or maybe you are actually on an SD channel.

There is an ongoing dialog as to whether Dish or DirecTV has a better HD picture. Consensus seems to lean toward DirecTV being marginally better if any at all (some displays/programming make this irrelevant).

I have also heard that the Hopper/Joey system supposedly has a better picture than the earlier Dish receivers, but DVD quality, NEVER - if things are set up correctly.

I would look in the setup for the HDTV setup and make sure it is set to 1080i and 16X9.

If you indeed feel that the picture is inferior, call the installer. Only call Dish directly if you can't contact the installer. This has something to do with the way Dish pays and docks installers for installs and call backs. Well, he should have done it right the first time, so go ahead and call Dish about the problem.

It's not the setup. I'm pretty tech savvy with audio video equipment. Ill call Dish. I guess I'm really asking if I should expect as clear a picture as what I had with direct tv and there is most likely something wrong.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

Perhaps you forgot to share with us what channel, what program you watching, what time it was ? We can check it too.
Adding to that - I 'm savvy too and I would post what TV I have, what Info button of my TV shows, etc ...

#5 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:12 AM

We need way more info here...

The size and type of HDTV, confirmation of the actual menu settings on the Dish receiver for HD video mode would be a start. It would also help to know what channel, what was on the channel, and was one of the Dish receiver "zoom" modes engaged... or perhaps a zoom mode on the HDTV was in use.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   Brian6751

Brian6751

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

We need way more info here...

The size and type of HDTV, confirmation of the actual menu settings on the Dish receiver for HD video mode would be a start. It would also help to know what channel, what was on the channel, and was one of the Dish receiver "zoom" modes engaged... or perhaps a zoom mode on the HDTV was in use.

The tv is a pn59d7000 Samsung plasma. Hdmi is run through a Marantz sr5005 avr. Avr up scaling is off. Receiver is on 1080i 16x9 and Normal mode. Tv is on Screen Fit. It's pretty much all the hd channels and programs especially when there is motion. Worst offender is HBO surprisingly. Game of thrones looked terrible.

Didnt mean to sound like a know it all, just saying I know to look for the basics like the settings and format.

Edited by Brian6751, 05 April 2012 - 05:46 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 909 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:50 AM

Have your tried bypassing the avr and connecting your HDMI directly from the Hopper to your TV? I have a Hopper and Samsung LED TV and my HD picture is better than the 922 or 722 I had. Please let me know. Thanks.

The tv is a pn59d7000 Samsung plasma. Hdmi is run through a Marantz sr5005 avr. Avr up scaling is off. Receiver is on 1080i 16x9 and Normal mode. Tv is on Screen Fit. It's pretty much all the hd channels and programs especially when there is motion. Worst offender is HBO surprisingly. Game of thrones looked terrible.

Didnt mean to sound like a know it all, just saying I know to look for the basics like the settings and format.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

What you see after press/select Info on your TV ?
You must find out what is your TV getting: resolution and refresh rate, interlacing or not.
Post a screenshots of the info here.

#9 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Not to keep picking... but are you sure you are actually on an HD channel? For a new Dish user it is very easy to be watching an SD channel since they are mapped (channel numbers) right next to each other.

I am all the time finding my father watching SD channels instead of HD channels on his TV...

#10 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

I have a similar setup to the OP in my home theatre (see signature below). I can testify that the HD picture from the Joey is just as good, if not better, than what I had with a DirecTV H21.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#11 OFFLINE   Brian6751

Brian6751

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Not to keep picking... but are you sure you are actually on an HD channel? For a new Dish user it is very easy to be watching an SD channel since they are mapped (channel numbers) right next to each other.

I am all the time finding my father watching SD channels instead of HD channels on his TV...

Not a chance.

#12 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

Since I don't have a Hopper, I can only suggest that if it is possible set the receiver to 720p instead of 1080i. It might, but not necessarily, produce better results.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Not a chance.

Any chance to obtain resolution info from the TV set ?

#14 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Something is not right here, or we aren't getting all the info. There have been lots of debates over picture quality differences of DirecTV vs Dish vs Cable... but nobody has ever accused any provider of having HD that looked like a DVD compared to the other provider.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,336 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

It is helpful to avoid terms like "clear" and "crisp" in reference to picture quality. That you aren't getting what you consider to be not clear can probably be described with more specificity. Terms like artifacting, motion blur and noisy are often helpful.

Adjusting the contrast up to "searing" mode may approximate the profiling that DIRECTV does to their content.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

What we talking about ? "searing" mode ?

OP can't get his tv input signal parameters ...:icon_dumm

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,336 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

What we talking about ? "searing" mode ?

Searing is what happens to the retina given high enough gamma and contrast.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Searing is what happens to the retina given high enough gamma and contrast.

I mean he is not that tech savvy to get into this; he is presenting only personal perception. What is meaningless to discuss.

#19 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

It's not the setup. I'm pretty tech savvy with audio video equipment. Ill call Dish. I guess I'm really asking if I should expect as clear a picture as what I had with direct tv and there is most likely something wrong.

Brian it's pretty obvious that you are as familiar as most of us here when it comes to this stuff. The only thing I can suggest is R&R everything from your wiring hookups to your cable connections. Just start from scratch and pretend you're hooking up a new system for a friend and don't take any little seeing for granted. I am quite interested in seeing what you find out, if anything. If it's still screwed up I hope you follow up with Dish because common sense dictates something is wrong somewhere and it's probably not you. A friend of mine just bought a new Sony TV and the picture came through fine but he had no sound. We spent several hours checking everything we could think of. Finally he called Comcast and they told him to reboot his DVR. Problem solved. DUH, who'd a thunk?

#20 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

How does the HD look on your other TV's?
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

spam firewall