Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Poor HD quality

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

On a lark... Another thing to try would be to set the Dish receiver to some other mode... 720p or heck even 480i/p.. let it settle into that mode... then go back and change it back to 1080i.

This will do two things:

1. It will let you see IF there is a difference on the same channel output at 720p vs 1080i and especially 480 vs 1080.
2. It will possible reveal if the receiver was "lying" about the mode it is in.

In reverse order... I have seen Dish receivers sometimes indicate they are in a given display mode but not actually be in that mode...

For #1, IF you have the tuner on a known HD channel say like HDNet Movies where you know it is a 1080i channel.... you should see a stark difference between output of 480 vs 1080. IF you do not, then that indicates a potential receiver problem too.

I haven't had DirecTV in many many years and long before they launched HD service... so I can't say directly... but even the most rabid DirecTV fans who swear DirecTV has better PQ, I never heard any of them say Dish looked as bad as Brian... so I tend to think there is an issue here, though we are running out of things to eliminate.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Brian6751

Brian6751

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

On a lark... Another thing to try would be to set the Dish receiver to some other mode... 720p or heck even 480i/p.. let it settle into that mode... then go back and change it back to 1080i.

This will do two things:

1. It will let you see IF there is a difference on the same channel output at 720p vs 1080i and especially 480 vs 1080.
2. It will possible reveal if the receiver was "lying" about the mode it is in.

In reverse order... I have seen Dish receivers sometimes indicate they are in a given display mode but not actually be in that mode...

For #1, IF you have the tuner on a known HD channel say like HDNet Movies where you know it is a 1080i channel.... you should see a stark difference between output of 480 vs 1080. IF you do not, then that indicates a potential receiver problem too.

I haven't had DirecTV in many many years and long before they launched HD service... so I can't say directly... but even the most rabid DirecTV fans who swear DirecTV has better PQ, I never heard any of them say Dish looked as bad as Brian... so I tend to think there is an issue here, though we are running out of things to eliminate.

I tried switching to 720p and then back again earlier and didn't see any difference. Just for the heck of it I took your advice and switched to 480i then back to 1080i and low and behold, I believe that did it.! I'll watch more programming for a while then report back.

#43 OFFLINE   Brian6751

Brian6751

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

update. Picture looks great. Crystal clear. At least as good as Direct TV. I did find a connector outside that was kinked a little as well but like mentioned earlier, not sure that matters with a digital signal. The guide is also much more clear and the semi transparent info that hangs around for a bit at the top of the screen along with the format indicator saying "NORMAL" is smaller and more clear as well.

So Stewart was right. Flip flopped the resolution to 480i then back to 1080i and that did the trick. I really appreciate the help and I'm very happy that I have my great HD picture back.

Edited by Brian6751, 06 April 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

I tried switching to 720p and then back again earlier and didn't see any difference. Just for the heck of it I took your advice and switched to 480i then back to 1080i and low and behold, I believe that did it.! I'll watch more programming for a while then report back.

update. Picture looks great. Crystal clear. At least as good as Direct TV. I did find a connector outside that was kinked a little as well but like mentioned earlier, not sure that matters with a digital signal. The guide is also much more clear and the semi transparent info that hangs around for a bit at the top of the screen along with the format indicator saying "NORMAL" is smaller and more clear as well.

So Stewart was right. Flip flopped the resolution to 480i then back to 1080i and that did the trick. I really appreciate the help and I'm very happy that I have my great HD picture back.

The kind of picture quality issues you were describing didn't sound like signal from the dish issues... since those wouldn't effect signal quality, but rather pixel/macroblocking and drop-outs... though it probably doesn't hurt to have checked and made sure any issues wouldn't crop up later.

It sounds to me that you were a victim of a box-isn't-doing-what-it-says issue.

I used to have an old Dish receiver that I swear sometimes would start to look fuzzy... and if I dropped it down to 480i then back to 1080i it would be sharp again. That was years ago and long out of service for that receiver... but I have heard others with similar issues.

The weird part is the HDTV indicating it was getting a 1080i signal IF it actually wasn't... but it sure sounds like your receiver wasn't really outputting 1080i until you "shocked" it back to life.

You can probably now see why so many of us here were surprised to hear you say how bad your picture was looking before.

#45 OFFLINE   Brian6751

Brian6751

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

The shocked response convinced me that something was wrong. The tv showing 1080i was strange but it's true. If it goes back to a bad picture I will probably get Dish to replace the receiver.

#46 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

Yeah.. I would definitely keep an eye on it. It could be an initial setup fluke... but if it happened again I would see if I could get it replaced too.

#47 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

but nobody has ever accused any provider of having HD that looked like a DVD compared to the other provider.

You ever watch U-Verse in HD? :(

#48 OFFLINE   Brian6751

Brian6751

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

that's funny because that's what it reminded me of.

#49 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

that's funny because that's what it reminded me of.

OUCH! :eek2: It's a good thing you got it fixed! Netflix often looks better than U-verse.

#50 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Lots of bad things about U-Verse that I've heard... but not that it looked like DVD.

I know enough to know I don't want U-Verse TV either... so I'm not a fan or supporter. I just never heard anyone say it looks like DVD.

Of course all this is moot now, since the thread starter fixed (at least for the moment) his glitch.

#51 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'd personally still try and get that receiver replaced before it gets worse :P

#52 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

One or more of your assumptions are faulty.

Either your receiver is not set up correctly, or the TV is not performing correctly, or maybe you are on an HD channel presently showing SD programming, or maybe you are actually on an SD channel.

There is an ongoing dialog as to whether Dish or DirecTV has a better HD picture. Consensus seems to lean toward DirecTV being marginally better if any at all (some displays/programming make this irrelevant).

I have also heard that the Hopper/Joey system supposedly has a better picture than the earlier Dish receivers, but DVD quality, NEVER - if things are set up correctly.

I would look in the setup for the HDTV setup and make sure it is set to 1080i and 16X9.

If you indeed feel that the picture is inferior, call the installer. Only call Dish directly if you can't contact the installer. This has something to do with the way Dish pays and docks installers for installs and call backs. Well, he should have done it right the first time, so go ahead and call Dish about the problem.

No! Not at all. DISH's Sat feed is crap. Their VOD is Fantacstic, if downloaded. I watched the first season of Spartacus via VOD and OMG what a phenomenal picture. That "let the cat out of the bag" and let me know that DISH can deliver a GREAT picture. But not via the dish. Since, VOD has been a disaster as far as delivering (not knowing whether I'm going to get anything). But when it does, it's great.

#53 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:13 AM

No! Not at all. DISH's Sat feed is crap. Their VOD is Fantacstic, if downloaded. I watched the first season of Spartacus via VOD and OMG what a phenomenal picture. That "let the cat out of the bag" and let me know that DISH can deliver a GREAT picture. But not via the dish. Since, VOD has been a disaster as far as delivering (not knowing whether I'm going to get anything). But when it does, it's great.

Maybe you have a problem with something? If the Dish picture wasn't great I would have switched years ago. I calibrate my TV's until my family is fed up! So I am very picky. (Calibrate much more than just color saturation, tint, contrast, etc..) Did my Daughter's with Uverse, ours with Dish, and in Florida my Father -in - Law with Fios. Fios is very good, Uverse not so much, Dish is very good. Charter is always just a little murky for some reason. Direct TV is also very good at any of my friend's houses, many of which also calibrate their TV's. But the Dish picture is right up there, very good. Charter seems just a little murky somehow. Oddly, the CBS station here very recently looks better on Direct TV. HBO movies have better contrast, better blacks and shadows on Dish for some reason, as pointed out by my friends not just me. Other than the recent CBS change, I can barely if at all see a difference in OTA from the Dish Sat signal.

Edited by tampa8, 13 April 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#54 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

Maybe you have a problem with something? If the Dish picture wasn't great I would have switched years ago. I calibrate my TV's until my family is fed up! So I am very picky. (Calibrate much more than just color saturation, tint, contrast, etc..)

Yeah im pretty finicky with calibrations on my Panny th42px75u, even go so far as to fine tweak it in the Hidden Service Menu from time to time and I have to agree Dish PQ is right up there with DTV's. Theres a hardly a difference.

#55 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:51 PM

This isn't a Dish vs DirecTV thread. The thread starter was having a specific problem, one that he self-resolved from suggestions in this thread. Rather than become a Dish vs DirecTV off-topic thread, I am going to close at this time. The thread starter can begin a new thread OR PM a moderator to ask for his thread to be reopened IF he has further issues with this problem.

spam firewall