Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 8) - 04/04/2012

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Who were YOUR favorites tonight?! (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Who were YOUR favorites tonight?!

1. Colton Dixon (9 votes [12.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.86%

2. DeAndre Brackensick (2 votes [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

3. Elise Testone (5 votes [7.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Hollie Cavanagh (8 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

5. Jessica Sanchez (12 votes [17.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.14%

6. Joshua Ledet (9 votes [12.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.86%

7. Phillip Phillips, Jr. (10 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

8. Skylar Laine (15 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Completely agree with this statement and completely agree with Jimmy. I do not understand why the judges cannot just be honest like Jimmy.

In all fairness, there are occasions where the the fact that he doesn't appear to be there on Wednesday night might have an error of margin. I have read many times from people in the studio that a performance can sometimes come off far superior in person than it does on TV.

Other times, I think they're just deaf... :P

I also agreed with the decision of who to send home. I was worried that Elise was going (I actually like Elise a lot but she has no fan base and thus it is just a matter of time). Though I agreed with the decision, I actually thought that Holly was the one that was going to go.

I called the Bottom 3 way in advance.

Elise and Hollie both had off-weeks, and DeAndre had one of his better weeks. Add in the fact that he's a young guy, and I was VERY worried for Hollie and Elise (as were they).

Next week will most likely be uncomfortable. :(

DeAndre has (in my mind) his best week this week. I still didn't like one single bit of the falsetto, but the fact that over 80% of his performance was in his normal voice, it was, by default, much better.

I like his falsetto myself, but to each their own...

As Alan noted, Joshua had more restraint than Jacob in the performance this week, but based on what I saw, I see it as a dam about to burst. I'm worried that he's gonna open up and go crazy thus falling into the same boat as Jacob. If he corrects that problem, he will go a long way. But that is my view.

One I'm afraid I share... :(

I do think Hollie got way over-criticized, but I've heard some similar comments to what the Judges said from other people. The notable comment was "stiff." So, perhaps the operative word is that Hollie needs to learn to "perform." If she goes to that place, then the song, etc. probably won't matter as much. Until then I think everyone will continue to be hard on her.

I think this week was the first week I saw her actually look like she was having fun on stage. I really didn't hear any issues with her singing on her solo, but I don't think she was putting the same emotion in the song that Irene did... a side-effect of her age perhaps. I had a similar complaint regarding Jessica's solo performance this week. I had no such complaints during the duets for either.

All I know is that I don't know so much this year. :lol:

Don't be so hard on yourself. Sadly, I think you are probably correct regarding the winner. :(

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

My comments in bold:

In all fairness, there are occasions where the the fact that he doesn't appear to be there on Wednesday night might have an error of margin. I have read many times from people in the studio that a performance can sometimes come off far superior in person than it does on TV.

Other times, I think they're just deaf... :P

I'm guessing that may not always be true. All during these many seasons, I kept hearing the Judges (well, mostly Simon) say that they had changed their minds about some criticism they had made after they had a chance to see the reording of the show. That makes a lot of sense since the audio (music) and video are adjusted so that they sound and look best on the television. Of course, I've sometimes heard the opposite as well, just not as often.

I called the Bottom 3 way in advance.

Lucky guess at best. :)

Elise and Hollie both had off-weeks, and DeAndre had one of his better weeks. Add in the fact that he's a young guy, and I was VERY worried for Hollie and Elise (as were they).

Just Hollie for me.

Next week will most likely be uncomfortable. :(

At some point all of your favorites will be all that's left. There's still a few more weeks before my favorites become fodder for the gristmill.

I like his falsetto myself, but to each their own...

+1

One I'm afraid I share... :(

As do I. :(:(

Don't be so hard on yourself. Sadly, I think you are probably correct regarding the winner. :(

I don't think so.

~Alan

Edited to add: video

Edited by Henry, 06 April 2012 - 04:59 PM.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#28 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:45 PM

I'm guessing that may not always be true. All during these many seasons, I kept hearing the Judges (well, mostly Simon) say that they had changed their minds about some criticism they had made after they had a chance to see the reording of the show. That makes a lot of sense since the audio (music) and video are adjusted so that they sound and look best on the television. Of course, I've sometimes heard the opposite as well, just not as often.

A second look (or listen) to things can also help. I didn't care for Hollie last week, but a second listen revealed that it was better than I thought.

Lucky guess at best.

BALDERDASH!! My Uncle guessed the same bottom three as well...

DeAndre was saved partly by his performance last week and MOSTLY by Jennifer's rallying of his fan base. He didn't really have that this week.

Skyler was in the bottom three last week, but her performance Wednesday would keep her out of it.

Hollie was in it last week, and she got even MORE criticism this week.

Elise has spent more weeks in the bottom three than she has out of it, so with her performance Wednesday, she was a no-brainer. :(

At some point all of your favorites will be all that's left. There's still a few more weeks before my favorites become fodder for the gristmill.

I don't dislike ANY contestant left. Sure, Colton and Skyler aren't my favorites, but I suspect Colton will at least out survive many of my favorites. :(

I don't think so.

I'm hoping not, but I'm no longer thinking not... :(

~Alan

#29 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

BALDERDASH!! ~Alan

BALDERDASH??? :lol:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#30 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

At this stage of the game, I expect Phillip to make the top 3.

I could be completely wrong but I'm expecting Colton, Jessica, and Phillip in the Top 3. I'd LOVE to see Joshua knock Colton out of the contest, but I don't expect that to happen. :(

Then again... after the Jimmy Iovine controversy, I'm starting to rethink this PP prediction. :( I'm not convinced things have changed, but doubt is now sinking into my mind. :(

BALDERDASH??? :lol:

Sorry.... I apologize for the crude language. I was just quite adamant in the fact that my prediction was more than just a lucky guess. :)

~Alan

#31 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Apparently the theme this week will be songs from this decade (2010, 2011, 2012).

Akon will be the guest mentor... which kind of sucks in my mind. I like and own some of Akon's stuff, but I just don't see him being a good mentor. Hopefully, I'll be surprised...

~Alan

#32 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

Sorry.... I apologize for the crude language. I was just quite adamant in the fact that my prediction was more than just a lucky guess. :)

~Alan

It's not really a crude word - just not used that often.

You can be as adamant as you want. In my mind it's just a guess.

Shall we leave it at that before we get scolded for off topic stuff?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#33 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Then again... after the Jimmy Iovine controversy, I'm starting to rethink this PP prediction. :( I'm not convinced things have changed, but doubt is now sinking into my mind. :(

Controversy? So far I have agreed with Jimmy completely.

~ the non-controversal Holydoc ~

#34 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

It's not really a crude word - just not used that often.

I guess I should have put a ;) smiley by my statement to get the point across that I was making a joke. I am aware that "Balderdash" is not a crude word... well, actually, not knowing what the word actually means, I don't, but I am aware that it's pretty safe to use! :)

You can be as adamant as you want. In my mind it's just a guess.

Shall we leave it at that before we get scolded for off topic stuff?

Think what you want... :)

However, as adamant as I was as to WHOM the bottom three would be last week, I'm doubtful I will be feeling as confident in any predictions this coming Thursday.

~Alan

#35 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Controversy? So far I have agreed with Jimmy completely.

~ the non-controversal Holydoc ~

I was referring to this:

'American Idol': Did Phillip Phillips disrespect Jimmy Iovine?

American Idol 2012 Singer Phillip Phillips Explains Jimmy Iovine Rebuff

I personally don't see the lack of disrespect myself, but apparently others feel differently...

~Alan

#36 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

I personally don't see the lack of disrespect myself, but apparently others feel differently...

~Alan

I can see where Phillip Phillips was a bit cocky and spoke without thinking. I think Jimmy is absolutely right that Phillip needs some criticism so that he will improve his performances rather than go stagnant. Do not get me wrong. I like Phillip. But I was not pleased with his last Phil Collins performance of "That's All" where he is smiling throughout the whole song. I just could not relate.

Sooooo... Phillip heed Jimmy's advice and start feeling the songs you are singing. Let's go from good to exceptional!

#37 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

I guess I should have put a ;) smiley by my statement to get the point across that I was making a joke. I am aware that "Balderdash" is not a crude word... well, actually, not knowing what the word actually means, I don't, but I am aware that it's pretty safe to use! :)

Think what you want... :)

However, as adamant as I was as to WHOM the bottom three would be last week, I'm doubtful I will be feeling as confident in any predictions this coming Thursday.

~Alan

No issues. :D
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#38 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

I can see where Phillip Phillips was a bit cocky and spoke without thinking. I think Jimmy is absolutely right that Phillip needs some criticism so that he will improve his performances rather than go stagnant. Do not get me wrong. I like Phillip. But I was not pleased with his last Phil Collins performance of "That's All" where he is smiling throughout the whole song. I just could not relate.

Sooooo... Phillip heed Jimmy's advice and start feeling the songs you are singing. Let's go from good to exceptional!

I don't disagree with Jimmy at all. He was right on... I thought "That's All" would be a slam dunk for him, and it wasn't. He needed the criticism.

HOWEVER, from everything I'm told, Phillip is a VERY shy person. A personality trait I share, so maybe I related. One of the side effects of being shy is being very susceptible to personal criticism. If someone were to be critical of me on TV, I think I'd leave my body and wouldn't return until shocked back to reality, so I think he truly got confused as to what Jimmy was saying. That doesn't change the fact that he needed to hear it... but rather an explanation for his reaction.

Personally, I felt that only Jermaine, Heejun, and Colton have shown some cockiness on the show, but that's just my opinion. I think Jermaine seemed to truly be showing a cocky side, Heejun showing a similar reaction to Phillip, and Colton... well, I'm not sure how I feel about his moments yet, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and assume he simply misspoke.

~Alan

#39 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

FWIW, Phillip just doesn't look like he needs or wants the criticism. Maybe we are misunderstanding his confidence as arrogance.

He looks very comfortable wearing his gray clothes, belting out gravelly-voiced toothy songs while sporting the guitar like a soldier would an Army guidon.

Maybe he auditioned on a dare, and when he was selected, figured he'd stick around to see what happens. At best, he'd get a contract. At worst he'd get his name out there and land a contract on his own. Plus he's got a spot in the Top Ten concerts this summer.

I'm not quite sure Phillip cares what we or the judges or Jimmy think about him. He's on a ride ... and a fun one at that.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#40 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

FWIW, Phillip just doesn't look like he needs or wants the criticism. Maybe we are misunderstanding his confidence as arrogance.

One of the things I hear about PP locally is that people like the fact that he is who he is, and is not putting on "airs."

He looks very comfortable wearing his gray clothes, belting out gravelly-voiced toothy songs while sporting the guitar like a soldier would an Army guidon.

I REALLY wish I had seen the Tommy Hilfiger interview on my local FOX affiliate. They asked him questions about PP's style.

Thinking back to all the concerts I've seen in my life, pretty much every person was wearing very simple clothing. No dressing up involved... which quite frankly wasn't needed.

Suffice it to say, I've never been to a Lady GaGa concert... ;) :D

Maybe he auditioned on a dare, and when he was selected, figured he'd stick around to see what happens. At best, he'd get a contract. At worst he'd get his name out there and land a contract on his own. Plus he's got a spot in the Top Ten concerts this summer.

Jimmy has stated that he'd sign Phillip and Jessica today, so I figure both will end up with a contract regardless of what happens.

I'm not quite sure Phillip cares what we or the judges or Jimmy think about him. He's on a ride ... and a fun one at that.

I think he's serious.... I just think he lets his music speak for itself. I don't think he's the best on AI... whether it's vocally or consistency, but I respect his stance in that regard.

I liked parts of it, but I was not gung-ho on his performance on Wednesday. I personally feel that his and Elise' duet on Wednesday was FANTASTIC... and would be a song I'd actually go out and buy had AI seen fit to actually SELL the duets the week of the Top 8. They both needed some redemption that night (particularly Elise), and I think they got it with the duet.

I hope that both will do better this week...

~Alan

#41 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,362 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

I suspect the final 3 will become pretty clear this week...things seem to be getting clear on the top tier.

..and as Alan indicated...perhaps up to 5 folks from this year's group has potential for a music contract. After all...not just the final "winner" ends up being a "winner" in terms of a recording contract.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#42 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

I suspect the final 3 will become pretty clear this week...things seem to be getting clear on the top tier.

..and as Alan indicated...perhaps up to 5 folks from this year's group has potential for a music contract. After all...not just the final "winner" ends up being a "winner" in terms of a recording contract.

Next week is the last week for the save, so if they don't save somebody this week, next week's eliminated contestant will more than likely (:lol:) get the save.

I'm not quite sure I feel that things will become pretty clear this week.

Elise has been in the bottom three multiple times...
Hollie has been in it twice (?) now...
Skyler has been in it once.

The odds of either making the Top 3 is doubtful at best, but unless a new person makes the list this week, I suspect it will be next week before we potentially learn anything, and that's assuming nobody is "saved" this week, or else it will be the week after.

~Alan

#43 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,362 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Next week is the last week for the save, so if they don't save somebody this week, next week's eliminated contestant will more than likely (:lol:) get the save.

I'm not quite sure I feel that things will become pretty clear this week.

Elise has been in the bottom three multiple times...
Hollie has been in it twice (?) now...
Skyler has been in it once.

The odds of either making the Top 3 is doubtful at best, but unless a new person makes the list this week, I suspect it will be next week before we potentially learn anything, and that's assuming nobody is "saved" this week, or else it will be the week after.

~Alan

OK....

I'll make it simple then... :D

Colton, Skylar, and Phillip will be the final 3.

Then again...Joshua might displace one of those.

#44 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:30 PM

OK....

I'll make it simple then... :D

Colton, Skylar, and Phillip will be the final 3.

Then again...Joshua might displace one of those.

BOLD PREDICTION...

Voting demographics aside, I'm not sure I see Skylar making it to the Top 3. If any female makes the TOP 3, and I think it's pretty much a given that one will squeak through, my money is on Jessica.

I'm now wavering between Phillip and Joshua... but between the comments I've read about PP on the internet today due to his comments last week (which amounts to very little... all things considered), and comments I've heard about Joshua today, I'm questioning that.

Oh yeah, Joshua's birthday is today!

~Alan

#45 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,362 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

BOLD PREDICTION...

No guts, no glory.:D

#46 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9,042 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

Don't read if you don't want any song choices for Wednesday spoiled.

Spoiler

~Alan

#47 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

I think they may be looking for a female champ this season. Four back-to-back male champs is a pretty good indicator that the judges/producers may be eyeing a female to win it. If that is in any way conceivable, then I think Jessica is in for a good run. We will know once the judges start picking on the male singers in an effort to manipulate the vote in the girls' favor, akin to what they did for Scotty last year.

I don't think Phillip will make the top three. IMHO he's too independent and set in his ways.

What we need to look for is the SAVE. Once it gets used, all hell (Pia Moments) will break loose.

And those are not bold predictions ... just guesses. :D
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#48 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,748 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

Don't read if you don't want any song choices for Wednesday spoiled.

Here are all tonite's songs, if you're curious: http://www.examiner....g-list-revealed
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...