Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I Lost The Battle with Dish Executive Customer Support!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   duffasaurus

duffasaurus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

I upgraded to Hopper/Joey on 3/16 and since I was one of the first to get installed after the rollout, no Hopper User Guide(138 pages) was available. Everyone at Customer/Tech Support said I could only get one by down loading from the website. I found this to be expensive to print out and also inconvenient. Finely, out of frustration, I called Executive Customer Support and after practically begging on my knees; they too said Dish has no way to send you a hard copy! This is certainly unfair since customers that are presently being installed with Hopper/Joey are getting the hard copy User Guide! Shame on you Dish Network, how cheap and unresponsive can you be to a customer of long standing!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

I upgraded to Hopper/Joey on 3/16 and since I was one of the first to get installed after the rollout, no Hopper User Guide(138 pages) was available. Everyone at Customer/Tech Support said I could only get one by down loading from the website. I found this to be expensive to print out and also inconvenient. Finely, out of frustration, I called Executive Customer Support and after practically begging on my knees; they too said Dish has no way to send you a hard copy! This is certainly unfair since customers that are presently being installed with Hopper/Joey are getting the hard copy User Guide! Shame on you Dish Network, how cheap and unresponsive can you be to a customer of long standing!!

I just had an install last week... No manual, unless you download it from the web site. Don't think your being treated any different.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Also, the manual isn't even finished yet. It's essentially still a draft. Large sections are missing and there are a huge number of mistakes. This is probably part of the reason it hasn't been printed or published yet. I wouldn't recommend anyone print it at this point or get upset if they are refused a hard copy.

Besides, printed manuals are quickly becoming extinct for all products. It was only a matter of time before Dish followed suit. Now that companies how much money they save by not shipping all that heavy paper, there's no turning back.

#4 OFFLINE   duffasaurus

duffasaurus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Thanks guys, I feel better now! !pusht!

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

I have rarely see a hard copy of a manual for electronics for quite some time, other than the quick-start ones. Just helped install an expensive projector system at my sister-in laws, no hard copy, only on internet. This is not uncommon.

You don't have to print it out, just download it. Even at that, I just don't find printing B/W very expensive. I sometimes just print the pertinent parts.Also I'm not seeing how is it less convenient than making phone calls and tracking down a hard copy. I certainly don't want manufactures printing one for every sale.

#6 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I have rarely see a hard copy of a manual for electronics for quite some time, other than the quick-start ones. Just helped install an expensive projector system at my sister-in laws, no hard copy, only on internet. This is not uncommon.

You don't have to print it out, just download it. Even at that, I just don't find printing B/W very expensive. Also I'm not seeing how is it less convenient than making phone calls and tracking down a hard copy. I certainly don't want manufactures printing one for every sale.

Strange. Late last year after the construction of our family entertainment room I purchased a second HDTV, A/V surround receiver, Bluray player, speaker system, and a second HR24-500. All came with hard copy owners manuals. We're getting too dependent on powered technology. A few years ago I was in NYC during a brown out. The only facilities that wern't effected were the toll booths. A few days after the brown out I read in the papers how the police depts. had to send people into the basements with flashlights to retrieve type writers so warrants could be written. There's a significant part of the population who do not own a computer yet still purchase electronics. And for those who do own a computer there is a significant portion who do not have access to high speed internet. Ask them how convenient it is downloading large files.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Very inconvenient for those without connections, but downloading a PDF on a crap connection isn't that hard.

I've never had the desire to print out a manual, and I guess over the years I've saved a few trees.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   duffasaurus

duffasaurus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

I just had an install last week... No manual, unless you download it from the web site. Don't think your being treated any different.

I saw several people who were very recently installed with Hopper/Joey on "SatelliteGuys.com" that got the manual with the equipment. It seems that later production Hoppers are being packaged with the manual! :confused:

#9 OFFLINE   duffasaurus

duffasaurus

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Kudos to the Dish Network Executive Customer Support Team, after first refusing to supply me with a hard copy of the 138 page User Guide, they just called me and agreed to print it out at their office and ship it ASAP!:D My confidence in Dish has been completely restored!:P

#10 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

Kudos to the Dish Network Executive Customer Support Team, after first refusing to supply me with a hard copy of the 138 page User Guide, they just called me and agreed to print it out at their office and ship it ASAP!:D My confidence in Dish has been completely restored!:P

Glad it worked out for you. But as I said before a lot of it is wrong.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,753 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

It was a principal to win the Battle. :D

#12 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

Im glad everything worked out in the end my fellow imaginary dinosaur fan :D

#13 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Had mine installed yesterday as well and they did not come with any. Manual? You don't need no stinking manual! Most every product coming out of China that has a manual has been translated to English, makes no sense and requires a magnifying glass to read. Oh, and even if it is a toaster the manual will be 475 pages and half of that are disclaimers in case you burn yourself.

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Heh. And if you really, really need to use any manual a lot, the device was not designed well.

Don't waste trees! (Or power to run mills, gas and oil to distribute, etc. etc.)

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Heh. And if you really, really need to use any manual a lot, the device was not designed well.

Don't waste trees! (Or power to run mills, gas and oil to distribute, etc. etc.)

A lot of products that use paper are using recycled paper.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

A lot of products that use paper are using recycled paper.

Yes, but the fuel for the process, water, heat and light in the plant, plus distribution costs, are what really costs. Trees are precious, but probably the cheapest ingredient.

#17 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,538 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Yes, but the fuel for the process, water, heat and light in the plant, plus distribution costs, are what really costs. Trees are precious, but probably the cheapest ingredient.

And what about the fuel, heat, light, materials, processing, ect. it takes to produce the plastic that's used to make all our beloved electronic technology? It's not a perfect world my friend.

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,647 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

And what about the fuel, heat, light, materials, processing, ect. it takes to produce the plastic that's used to make all our beloved electronic technology? It's not a perfect world my friend.

Huh? I'm referring to the difference between printing a lengthy manual and viewing it on a monitor; incremental costs, not acquisition of things made of plastics, sand and metal.

Heh. Wonder how the ongoing charging and trickling and standby power usage is over the life of the product vs. power used in its manufacture?

I agree there's no perfection, nor any free lunch.

#19 OFFLINE   jorb

jorb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

All these corporation are trying to do is give the public less and less and still
get paid. There will be day when they will send you a cardboard box and
expect to be paid. It really is sad when at onetime gas was 26 cents gallon
and they would pump it for me, check my oil and tire pressure and wash my windows.
I wonder if any of these CEO's even use the products they push.

Edited by jorb, 06 April 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

It really is sad when at onetime gas was 26 cents gallon
and they would pump it for me, check my oil and tire pressure and wash my windows.

And what was minimum wage at that time?

I pay 57c per gallon in taxes. I don't expect 26c per gallon prices.

spam firewall