Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CSNBA

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Is the SD channel available?

Nope, same message......

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

Probably too late now... but another place to look are the ALT Sports channels.

Sometimes the RSN feed is blacked out but is carried on an ALT feed.

The HD ALT feeds are 440-454 I think... or somewhere thereabouts.

I often find games there that are blacked out on my RSN. Not always sure why they are on an ALT feed rather than the main one... but worth checking next time this happens.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#23 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

I often find games there that are blacked out on my RSN. Not always sure why they are on an ALT feed rather than the main one... but worth checking next time this happens.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

#24 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:50 PM

Was worth a shot but no go........checked every alternate.

#25 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

Well it has been three weeks since Dish was installed and I have not been able to receive on game via RSN's. DIRT only said that they have no control over blackouts, which I understand, however according to the team map I am in the coverage area and yet every game has been blacked out. If there is anyone in the Sacramento area I would really appreciate knowing if it is just me or if this is how it is with Dish. Location wise I should be able to receive, they have not been on another network (except once on MLBN). As an example...today the Giants are at home vs Pirates. Not on any local network or MLBN yet when I tune in it states not available in my viewing area yet according to the maps it should be. Very frustrating, unless there is just something I am not understanding.

#26 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Well it has been three weeks since Dish was installed and I have not been able to receive on game via RSN's. DIRT only said that they have no control over blackouts, which I understand, however according to the team map I am in the coverage area and yet every game has been blacked out. If there is anyone in the Sacramento area I would really appreciate knowing if it is just me or if this is how it is with Dish. Location wise I should be able to receive, they have not been on another network (except once on MLBN). As an example...today the Giants are at home vs Pirates. Not on any local network or MLBN yet when I tune in it states not available in my viewing area yet according to the maps it should be. Very frustrating, unless there is just something I am not understanding.

Ok, I may be able to help. Several years ago a family member who lives just outside the San Francisco TV market but still within the market for the sports teams there had Dish installed. All the local sports teams were being blacked out. He finally got Dish to correct it. They told him that the default on Dish equipment is to black out all the sports channels when they are subject to blackout, until the correct information is downloaded to the receiver. They did that for him, and he began to receive the Bay Area sports.

He is the only person I heard of this happening, until you. I think that you should pursue the issue with Dish. There may be others on the board who know more, but I believe that what is happening to you should be corrected.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be receiving the Giants in Fairfield. Have you compared notes with someone who has Direct or cable to see if the Giants are available on those providers? Unless someone on Direct or cable has purchased MLB Extra Innings, there should be no difference between those providers and Dish.

Please make sure Dish has the absolutely correct location for you. Perhaps a street has been misspelled or a zip code has been entered incorrectly. Do you purchase locals? If so, are you receiving the correct locals? If not, perhaps Dish thinks that you are in a different location.

Edited by runner861, 13 April 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Ok, I may be able to help. Several years ago a family member who lives just outside the San Francisco TV market but still within the market for the sports teams there had Dish installed. All the local sports teams were being blacked out. He finally got Dish to correct it. They told him that the default on Dish equipment is to black out all the sports channels when they are subject to blackout, until the correct information is downloaded to the receiver. They did that for him, and he began to receive the Bay Area sports.

He is the only person I heard of this happening, until you. I think that you should pursue the issue with Dish. There may be others on the board who know more, but I believe that what is happening to you should be corrected.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be receiving the Giants in Fairfield. Have you compared notes with someone who has Direct or cable to see if the Giants are available on those providers? Unless someone on Direct or cable has purchased MLB Extra Innings, there should be no difference between those providers and Dish.

Please make sure Dish has the absolutely correct location for you. Perhaps a street has been misspelled or a zip code has been entered incorrectly. Do you purchase locals? If so, are you receiving the correct locals? If not, perhaps Dish thinks that you are in a different location.

Thanks, this is by far the most reasonable response I have had. I did deal with the DishInternetResponseTeam yesterday and he was unable to help. I have verified these games are available on DirecTV and will be calling Dish tomorrow. The funny thing is, when I go to Dish's Game Finder tool on line and use different zip codes it still comes up as only available with their MultiSports package so I am confused. I will be taking your advice on pursuing this with Dish, at least until I receive a reasonable explanation. While I was with Direct I never had a problem receiving these games on CSNCA/BA and never had to purchase any additional package as long as I was receiving CSNCA.

#28 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:49 PM

I am sure the problem lies with Dish. It is just a matter of getting someone with enough authority there to recognize the problem and correct it. They rely on the statement that "We don't control the blackouts." That is really only half true. The sports leagues control the blackouts from a legal perspective. But Dish administers the blackouts to its customers by authorizing and deauthorizing receivers, so they really do control the blackouts.

#29 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

I am sure the problem lies with Dish. It is just a matter of getting someone with enough authority there to recognize the problem and correct it. They rely on the statement that "We don't control the blackouts." That is really only half true. The sports leagues control the blackouts from a legal perspective. But Dish administers the blackouts to its customers by authorizing and deauthorizing receivers, so they really do control the blackouts.

Yeah, I just got off the phone with a fellow who sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He said the 6:30 game tonight should be viewable but couldn't do anything until then if I was not receiving. He did send a hit to refresh my receivers and programming. Unfortunately I won't be home until late tonight to see if that took care of it. If not he advised to call tomorrow during game time if I am not receiving. I agree with your assessment, just getting the right person. Thanks for your help.

#30 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

UPDATE: Okay, after 4 weeks and still not receiving my RSN (CSNBA/CA) and after at least a half dozen calls to Dish they sent out a tech. He arrived this morning and listened patiently to my story of how I am suppose to receive these channels via my package, that the games are not blacked out for my area yet it always states they are not available even though they are (this has been verified). After my rant he told me that this is a Dish/Hopper issue in my area (Fairfield, CA). Something about the two zip codes for this city (94534 / 94533) are not allowing the games. This is a known issue locally and has been pushed up already, in fact the GM at his location lives in my city and has been experiencing this for the last three weeks his self. He is the one who has advised his folks about this. His advice (and he put it in his notes) is to call when a game starts and have a hit sent to the box to be able to view the games. Unfortunately as soon as that game is over, the blackouts will return and I will have to call again for the next game. This is a PIA but at least I know it is an issue. I have a hard time understanding why it is just my zip code. Seems it shouldn't be difficult if it works in one city to get it to work in another. He did say it only happens with the Hopper/Joey set ups and that other equipment receives the events just fine. ARGH!!!

#31 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

There is an email address ceo@echostar.com that sometimes people have used to get attention to a problem at Dish. I'm not sure if the email address works anymore. However, if it does, I think an email about this issue would be appropriate. This is a serious problem that should be corrected, and it may require higher-ups at the company to force a solution to be implemented. I would just keep pushing with Dish until the problem receives a permanent solution.

Is there any chance that part of your zip code is in one sports market, while another part of the zip code is in another? Have you been receiving another market's games?

Edited by runner861, 22 April 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

There is an email address ceo@echostar.com that sometimes people have used to get attention to a problem at Dish. I'm not sure if the email address works anymore. However, if it does, I think an email about this issue would be appropriate. This is a serious problem that should be corrected, and it may require higher-ups at the company to force a solution to be implemented. I would just keep pushing with Dish until the problem receives a permanent solution.

Is there any chance that part of your zip code is in one sports market, while another part of the zip code is in another? Have you been receiving another market's games?

Thanks for the email suggestion, I will definitely try it. I agree that this is a serious issue. To answer your question; our city's zip codes are only for our Bay Area teams and there are no others anywhere close to us at all with the next closest in So Cal 400 miles (or so) from here. The tech said that it only effects the Hopper/Joey equipment and that older equipment is not effected in our area. I will post back here if I get a response from the email.

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Wow... that's a crazy random bug.. and something I would never have guessed would be down to zip-code level as an issue.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#34 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

Wow... that's a crazy random bug.. and something I would never have guessed would be down to zip-code level as an issue.

Yeah, me too but that is what I was told.........hopefully he was correct and it will be addressed.

#35 OFFLINE   djbaf57

djbaf57

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

Hi everyone,

I am a brand new user; this is my first post! I hope this is a relatively easy question.

I live in Los Angeles, and am from Northern California and a big Giants fan. I have DISH network. Is there I can gain access to the Bay Area sports network CSNBA, or is that verboten due to MLB rules, DISH rules, or both?

Thanks,

Bruce

#36 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Please make sure Dish has the absolutely correct location for you. Perhaps a street has been misspelled or a zip code has been entered incorrectly.

May not have been the problem in this case, but that is excellent advice, worth remembering.

#37 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Sorry, but you now must cheer for the Dodgers!!:D:D:D:D:D
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#38 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

MLB rules, pretty much.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#39 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

The problem with the zipcode makes me nervous,although i am currently with fios in so.cal. i have been interested in trying the hopper,but i live in apple valley and they also have 2 zipcodes 92307,and 92308,so now i wonder if any dish customers that live there have any problems?

spam firewall