Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing Local Channels - Since April 2nd

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

I don't think 6.4a is available (again) yet, I know DirecTV is talking to TiVo to make it available.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Whipl50

Whipl50

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

I don't think 6.4a is available (again) yet, I know DirecTV is talking to TiVo to make it available.

The CSR indicated that it is available over the phone, I just can't figure out how to get my Tivo to call in since it is hacked.:nono:

#23 OFFLINE   Whipl50

Whipl50

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

I have a HD DVR on it's way from DirecTV. I did have to sign up for another 2 years, but they are only charging me shipping.

Bye DirecTivo, it was a fun run.

#24 OFFLINE   wishbone4401

wishbone4401

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

I sent a letter to Directv corporate headquarters complaining about the longevity of this issue and the fact that the tech support and customer service representatives have not been told about this problem nor have they been given a consistent answer about our options. I received a call this afternoon from a corporate representative and this is what I was told:

Directv engineering was unaware that the updates to the old TIVO software were not being made available for download.

As has been mentioned elsewhere they are working to get the updates re-started.

They said they would call me next week to let me know the status about when and how updates will be available.

I Received a call from the Directv corporate representative late this afternoon. He said Directv engineering has not responded with any information about when and how the software updates to fix this problem are going to be implemented. He said he would call me back next week to update the status.

#25 OFFLINE   dkperez

dkperez

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

I"m now having the same problem...... AT HOME in Minneapolis I have HD and SWM.

But, I've got a Winegard dome for traveling and today I had Direct TV activate a DVR R10 for me. I don't THINK it's hacked but I"m not sure what would constitute "hacked".
Hooked it to the Winegard, and got everything BUT my local channels. I actually get 2 of 'em, but no CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc.

And yes, I know if I go too far from home I"ll lose the local channels. But I"m testing in the driveway at home, so I SHOULD get 'em.

Called DTV. Wasted an astonishing amount of time with a CSR. She finally transferred me to the "guys in the department that handle the portable dishes". Spent some time with a guy there who had me redo all the restart, reset, "send the receiver a wakeup", and on and on. In the end, he had no idea.

SO, I grabbed one of the HD receivers from the house, hooked it up, and everything's fine. So, it SOMETHING to do with the DVR R10.

I've read this thread, but still don't know exactly what I"m supposed to do to get this working. If I have to "hack" the thing, what do I "hack?" And if I need some software upgrade, can I just plug the receiver into a phone line and turn it on to get it? Or does the receiver have to be hooked to a cable and all that? 'Cause with the SWM and all, I've been told the old SD equipment won't work at all in the house...

So, in clear, simple, acronym-free instructions, can someone tell me what I have to do to get this working?

#26 OFFLINE   wishbone4401

wishbone4401

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

So, in clear, simple, acronym-free instructions, can someone tell me what I have to do to get this working?

If you want information on how to “hack” your DVR to solve this problem, your best bet is to read the blogs at tivocommunity.com

Regarding software updates from Directv, indications are they are trying to restart them via phone a line connection or some other mechanism but it’s not clear at this point when or if this will happen.

Another way to fix the problem is to purchase and install a replacement hard drive for your DVR from dvrupgrade.com for about $120. Warning - check with them first to be sure you can get the drive with software version 6.4a.

#27 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 843 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:55 PM

This problem would affect an old DTiVo that was recently activated. If it was not "online" when the software was updated to 6.4a, it would still have 6.2 and now have the locals problem. No hacking required. The discussion of hacking here is that most people with the problem modified their boxes to disable software updates, but that is not necessary to have the problem.

You have two options if you want to keep this box. 1) Hope that DirecTV/TiVo reactivates the 6.4a software for download, or 2) install a 6.4a disk image on your disk (or buy a disk with it already installed). dvrupgrade.com sells these and can install the disk for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Steve

My Setup

#28 OFFLINE   dkperez

dkperez

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

The box hasn't been in use for about a year and a half. If hacking is just replacing the old hard drive (50 or 80 or whatever GB it was) with a larger drive (I used a spare 160GB drive that was too small for my photographic images), then it's been hacked.

When it was in use, it was NEVER plugged into the phone line, so if whatever would have happened came that way, I didn't get it.

So, is there a 6.4a image somewhere I can grab? I recall the stuff I did when replacing the drive didn't cost anything, so if I just need to grab whatever and go, I'm good with trying that.

OR, is there any DEFINITE news that Direct TV is going to make the update available?

It would be really useful to get this working ASAP 'cause I'm going to be using the RV for the next couple weeks.

#29 OFFLINE   dkperez

dkperez

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

BTW: Just got off the phone with DTV. Was HOPING I could get some answer about the 6.4a upgrade being available. CSR immediately transferred me to the group I was talking to yesterday - the group that "understands portable dishes and domes and such"......

Unfortunately, I got an INCREDIBLY UNHELPFUL woman who couldn't have cared less about the problem. Her statement was that "it won't be downloaded from the satellite". IF you plug it into the phone line AND hook it to the dish AND do a hard reset (something about 0 2 4 6 8), it MAY EVENTUALLY get the update through the phone line."

NO interest at all in doing anything to actually facilitate a solution.

When ASKED, she did indicate I could get a refurbished "new" SD DVR that would work... $100 PLUS A NEW 2 YEAR COMMITTMENT. Which I rejected.

I got the definite feeling she didn't give a D*MN whether I went elsewhere in November (when the contract ends) or not...

In a way it was kinda refreshing to get the normal, unfriendly, disinterested DTV attitude. It was unique but weird having them actually try to solve the problem yesterday. Admittedly, they didn't have a clue that the problem was old software, and after hours decided the R10 was "going bad", but they did TRY...

SO, I'll need some other way to get the current software.

#30 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

DTV is working on trying to get the updates out that you need...just out of curiousity have you called TIVO?
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#31 OFFLINE   dkperez

dkperez

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

I can call Tivo, but isn't this some kind of "specific to DTV" Tivo?

I'm now seeing topics going back for a while about the "lost local channels", and I keep seeing entries that tell me how hard Direct Tv is working to get the updates, but never a date or DEFINITE statement that anything is actually being done...

I'll try calling Tivo to see if they're any more responsive.

BUT, once again, can anyone point me to a place where I can download 6.4a like I did 6.2 so I can just do my OWN UPDATE.

#32 OFFLINE   spudly

spudly

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

FWIW, both my Hughes and Philips Series I (non hacked, stock) have encountered this local problem. While both issues are very similiar, they are different. Here in Pittsburgh PA I would get some local channels, but not others. On one receiver it those channels would show up in the guide (but no programming on the channel) and on the other the channel wouldn't show up on the guide.

I think the Hughes is on v3.1, while the Philips was v3.5. Phone cord has been plugged in for the past several days and calls are made, but no updates. I had to change the phone # as what had been in there was obsolete.

I decided to get the free R15/R16 replacements with no commitment. They consider it a swap not an upgrade. I have a screen grab to show this, but how do I post a picture that is local and not a URL? SInce I own the older receivers they are mine to keep, but if I cancel service I would need to send these back.

They did indicate that once I deactivate the older ones I cannot reactivate them again in the future.

Sadly when I called DTV yesterday (had other minor outstanding issues as well and had to speak to 'promo dept' and 'billing') the tech support group are woefully uninformed. To make matters worse, one of the reps that I talked to in the chain of people inadvertly removed my local channels. Now they are having trouble adding them back. I have one HD receiver and the HD locals come on but not standard def, such as sub channel or CW. I waited over 30 minutes for a supervisor as the call had closed in on 2 hours and I had life obligations outside of DirecTV. Imagine that. Allegedly a supervisor is to call back today and I still do not have a functioning account.

#33 OFFLINE   dkperez

dkperez

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Yeah, that's been my experience with Direct TV too... VERY long conversations, VERY long waits, VERY POOR information.

I called Tivo as suggested in an earlier reply. They have (apparently) nothing to do with this particular upgrade. They don't even list 6.4a, and can't force the phone line to give it up...

I spent an hour having the R10 call the number it has. It downloaded SOMETHING, churned for a while, but in the end it STILL HAS 6.1 on it.

I've been TRYING to get information from DVRUpgrade, but they're worse then Direct TV. After sending email, waiting 3 hours for an ANSWER, getting a non-answer, and sending a reply, to which I got NOTHING, I finally called.

Me: "I'm trying to figure out what I need for software to get my DVR R10 upgraded."
Him: "We DON'T provide any support for our software. Send us an email."
Me: "I did that at 7:30 this morning."
Him: "Well, then you have an answer 'cause we've answered all the emails."
Me: "No, I got a REPLY that DIDN'T answer my questions."
Him: "Well, that's how we support this stuff."

CLICK........... As he hung up.

I didn't think it was possible to have poorer customer service the Direct TV, but these guys have managed.

So, apparently, I can give them $40 and try their Instantcake, even though all my machines are running Windows 7 and have SATA CD/DVD units, but it's a total crap shoot, 'cause they're total rectums...

Is there ANY reasonable alternative to these guys? Some company that maybe gives at least a TINY d*mn about their customers?

#34 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

Don't forget that that R10 is super old now, and noone you are contacting has one bit of financial gain to be made helping you resurrect that dinosaur, and I believe everyone you are contacting are businesses that are only around because they make money. Maybe its time to move along and just get a new box that is compatible with stuff from this decade?

#35 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

yeah seems if you wanna keep the ol dinosaurs going wishbone4401 has the best answer
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#36 OFFLINE   spudly

spudly

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Don't forget that that R10 is super old now, and noone you are contacting has one bit of financial gain to be made helping you resurrect that dinosaur, and I believe everyone you are contacting are businesses that are only around because they make money. Maybe its time to move along and just get a new box that is compatible with stuff from this decade?

Well that's a dumb a** reply. So something is old? It still works as intended except the vendor made a change to make it not work. Don't forget these units were purchased (not given away) for the prviledge of using the service and dont' consider every purchase as disposable. I can understand if the unit itself wasn't working and it costs more to fix than replace but mechanically nothing was wrong until the vendor decided to *unannounced* make a change in the last few weeks.

Just because something is new doesn't always make it better or more desirable. What if you bought a washer and dryer and Maytag (or whomever)put a timer inside that after 4 years it would stop working (unbeknownst to you). So one day you are doing your laundry and all the sudden >poof< a messge shows up saying you can no longer wash or dry your clothes. You must buy a new unit. Nothing is actually wrong, we just think it's time you upgrade top one that is more energy efficient.

So out of the blue, with no warning and no reasonable explanation it just stopped.

Not such a different scenario.

#37 OFFLINE   wishbone4401

wishbone4401

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

I've been TRYING to get information from DVRUpgrade, but they're worse then Direct TV. After sending email, waiting 3 hours for an ANSWER, getting a non-answer, and sending a reply, to which I got NOTHING, I finally called.

DVRupgrade does not provide support for the DIY software products they provide. Read on their forum page about the problems people encounter with it and you’ll understand why. However if you buy a replacement hard drive from them or have them install it, they do provide support. As I said earlier, the main thing to determine is that the R10 replacement drive comes with software version 6.4a. I got a replacement drive from them for an HR10-250 and it specifically states on their HR10-250 web page that the drive has software version 6.4a installed. They DO NOT make the same statement for an R10 replacement drive. They do respond to emails if it’s about the products they support so I suspect they would tell you if an R10 replacement drive came with 6.4a. Also, as far as support, I had problems with my replacement drive because the PTVnet would not work and they replaced the drive free of charge.

#38 OFFLINE   Gar102

Gar102

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

I am having the same issue in Chicago. I have talked to directv 3 times in the past week and they simply run the Connect to DVR Service and wait 24 hour. They finally admitted it is aknown issue and I should keep trying for 72 hours and see if it gets fixed. So much for tech support! I have had to delete everything from the DVR.

Very Frustrating!

#39 OFFLINE   chicagojim

chicagojim

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

And for those of you saying "Shell out some more money for a newer receiver" please donate to my PayPal account. :lol:

I spend enough monthly for the service and shouldn't have to trash a piece of equipment that was crippled due to an unintended consequence of the service provider's upgrades.
Go Cubs

New equipment after seven years . . .

HR34 to Sony KDS60A2000 , HR24 to 47" Vizio -
three C31s - Slimline 5 Dish - Swim 16 -CCK -
Networked via wireless & 1000BT, using Comcast – three switches, two routers Hotspot @ home and 4G Femto cell

#40 OFFLINE   Gar102

Gar102

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

I agree, ours is in the bedroom and use very little so I should not have to spend more money because I also have 4 HD units and a high bill.

spam firewall