Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing Local Channels - Since April 2nd

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   gordon1fan

gordon1fan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:25 PM

yeah seems if you wanna keep the ol dinosaurs going wishbone4401 has the best answer

Well I had the ol dinosaurs for about 8 years now. Still works great! :)
Follow Me On Twitter:
http://twitter.com/bama1fan
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Sunner73

Sunner73

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

As of last night 2 of my 4 SD Tivos are missing the major 4 locals, CBS, NBC, ABC & Fox, however, I still have CW, PBS and some independents. They are no where to be found, even when I change to show "all channels".

Multiply attempts at reauthorization via the DTV's web site met with no change. Even spent time w/DTV tech support which were convinced that a "clear program info and to do list" would solve the issue but ......
nope.

Strange that it's only on 2 of the 4 unit though.

P.S. All 4 have the 6.2 SW, modified for MRV.
Directv customer since 2001
1 HR34-50" Projection TV
2 HR24-27" HDTV/Monitor & 27" CRT
2 DSR704 DTivo's (no locals)-32" CRTs
1 DSR7000 DTivo-27" CRT
Only the 2 DSR704's MRV'ed

Upgraded to AU9 Slimline w/SWM16 w/uS575 stacker feeding a LAL20a amp supplying single coax to each of the 3 DSR's w/dual destackers.

#43 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,597 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

As of last night 2 of my 4 SD Tivos are missing the major 4 locals, CBS, NBC, ABC & Fox, however, I still have CW, PBS and some independents. They are no where to be found, even when I change to show "all channels".

Multiply attempts at reauthorization via the DTV's web site met with no change. Even spent time w/DTV tech support which were convinced that a "clear program info and to do list" would solve the issue but ......
nope.

Strange that it's only on 2 of the 4 unit though.

P.S. All 4 have the 6.2 SW, modified for MRV.

Read the previous posts in this thread. Your Tivo's must be updated to v6.4a to restore those local channels.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#44 OFFLINE   Sunner73

Sunner73

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Read the previous posts in this thread. Your Tivo's must be updated to v6.4a to restore those local channels.

OK... but why are some locals still available when others are not and even a bigger question then WHY do I still have these locals on my other 2 Tivos?
Directv customer since 2001
1 HR34-50" Projection TV
2 HR24-27" HDTV/Monitor & 27" CRT
2 DSR704 DTivo's (no locals)-32" CRTs
1 DSR7000 DTivo-27" CRT
Only the 2 DSR704's MRV'ed

Upgraded to AU9 Slimline w/SWM16 w/uS575 stacker feeding a LAL20a amp supplying single coax to each of the 3 DSR's w/dual destackers.

#45 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,597 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

OK... but why are some locals still available when others are not and even a bigger question then WHY do I still have these locals on my other 2 Tivos?

It has to do with a secondary audio service that DirecTV is now required to provide for channels that offer this to their off-air viewers. Not all off-air channels have that feature, so that's why not all of the channels are impacted.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#46 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Version 6.2 of the DirecTiVo software is, at this point, about 6 years old. Version 6.4a is nearly 4 years old (there was a 6.3 in there as well). When 6.4 was released, it WAS spooled to every DirecTiVo that was receiving satellite data (it was NOT sent via the phone line). If your DirecTiVo is still running version 6.2 or 6.3 it is for one of the following reasons:

1) You hacked the drive to prevent automatic upgrades. This was standard procedure for those that enabled MRV or installed TivoWebPlus. If this is your issue, you made the modifications, so it is your responsibility to fix it.

2) You did not have a phone line enabled and so the TiVo software never got the command to actually perform the upgrade. It was ALWAYS stated that DirecTiVos must be attached to a phone line. If you chose to ignore this requirement then, again, it was your choice so it is your responsibility.

3) The DirecTiVo was not in service when the software update was was spooled. This is the only circumstance under which the customer has cause to look to DirecTV for a remedy. A user who reactivated an old DirecTiVo can not be expected to be aware of software updates. Before activating the receiver, DirecTV should have confirmed that it had the current software release.

In the case of situations 1 and 2, assuming situation 3 does not also apply, version 6.4a is likely already on the primary drive. It simply needs to be installed on the alternate boot partition and the partitions swapped. There are many ways to do this. Do a google search for "tivo software slices install" and you will find instructions. Note, you should make certain that 6.4a is, in fact, in the mfs file system first, and you WILL need telnet access to your Tivo (both of which should be available on a hacked box).

If you are in situation 3 with a stock DirecTiVo (or one which simply had it's disk space upgraded) then the only resolution is via DirecTV. There have been reports that 6.4a is being spooled again. I can't confirm or deny this since I kickstarted my last remaining DirecTiVo onto 6.4a a couple of weeks ago from slices downloaded in 2008. The problem that many may still be having is that despite the presence of 6.4a on the drive, the phone calls to TiVo (if they succeed at all) are not reliably initiating the install. Again a few google searches will provide options (a number of people report success using Pittsburgh or Kansas City access numbers).

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#47 OFFLINE   thegreen

thegreen

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

If your DirecTiVo is still running version 6.2 or 6.3 it is for one of the following reasons:

1) You hacked the drive to prevent automatic upgrades.

2) You did not have a phone line enabled

3) The DirecTiVo was not in service when the software update was was spooled.

Theoretically, this is true. Unfortunately, for some reason some of us never got the upgrade back then despite being hooked up correctly. In my case, I have never hacked my gear and it was installed by a Dtv tech when I moved about 5 years ago. Phone and sat. are all operating and I got the update a few days ago. Hopefully it'll work out for the rest...

edit:
I should mention, just in case it helps or matters, that at some point long ago one of my boxes updated itself from 6.1 to 6.3. The other one did not (until this week). I didn't think much of it at the time, because everything still worked the same. But that makes maybe three times that my two boxes have missed updates.

Edited by thegreen, 18 May 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#48 OFFLINE   johnd01

johnd01

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:39 PM

My brother in Portland has this problem. We waited for the HDVR2 release to move to DTV. 1. He has 3 units all not getting locals.
2. Never been hacked.
3. He has no land line.
4.The only phone numbers the DVRs can dial do not answer.
5. New equipment from DTV is not TIVO.
6. New TIVO is crippled and expensive.
7. Premiere XL4 on comcast is looking better all the time.
8. Class action?
9. Like DTV programming better but this is the second time they have broken his boxes.
10. 2 Premiere XL4 with lifetime would cost about $1800 but after that you have a much better TIVO and no TIVO fees. Last I check it counted as 2 cable cards record up to 8 shows at once and come with 2TB drives. MRV is almost seamless.

I did hack my HDVR2's but never got MRV to work. I waited for a DTIVO but gave up on them when them Premiere was released. I love the new software and the 2 TB drives I added. I think voting with your feet is the only way out of this. DTV will not support a real TIVO so go where the best DVR is.

Edited by johnd01, 18 May 2012 - 11:53 PM.
adding 10.

#49 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

My brother in Portland has this problem. We waited for the HDVR2 release to move to DTV. 1. He has 3 units all not getting locals.
2. Never been hacked.
3. He has no land line.
4.The only phone numbers the DVRs can dial do not answer.
5. New equipment from DTV is not TIVO.
6. New TIVO is crippled and expensive.
7. Premiere XL4 on comcast is looking better all the time.
8. Class action?
9. Like DTV programming better but this is the second time they have broken his boxes.
10. 2 Premiere XL4 with lifetime would cost about $1800 but after that you have a much better TIVO and no TIVO fees. Last I check it counted as 2 cable cards record up to 8 shows at once and come with 2TB drives. MRV is almost seamless.

I did hack my HDVR2's but never got MRV to work. I waited for a DTIVO but gave up on them when them Premiere was released. I love the new software and the 2 TB drives I added. I think voting with your feet is the only way out of this. DTV will not support a real TIVO so go where the best DVR is.

I suppost it's hard for number 3 to happen when there is number 2.

If he never hacked his TiVo then number 6 is not relevant to him.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...