Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Programming the Remote

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

Can I teach/change a Dish remote’s command while in the SAT mode?

According to the instructions the Dish remote can learn while in the TV, DVD or AUX mode. But I would like to change just the volume & mute in SAT mode to control my A/V receiver. Is this possible? I have not tried it out of concern of screwing up the SAT mode commands.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:50 AM

Yes. If you look in the manual, or at the manual online, there is a way to set the remote so that the volume and mute buttons ALWAYS control the AV receiver.

See the pics I copied from the 722k manual. It would help if you mentioned what remote/receiver you have.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.PNG
  • Capture2.PNG

#3 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Yes. If you look in the manual, or at the manual online, there is a way to set the remote so that the volume and mute buttons ALWAYS control the AV receiver.

See the pics I copied from the 722k manual. It would help if you mentioned what remote/receiver you have.

I did see that in the manual. But the manual was not clear to me. For example on the page that shows your diagrams it states “When the remote is setup to operate your TV, the VOLUME and MUTE buttons will adjust your TV volume”.

Are they talking about when the remote is in the SAT mode or the TV mode?

I never programmed my remote to operate the TV, yet the Volume & Mute buttons do show a display on the TV screen when I use these in the SAT mode & they do affect these TV functions. I presume the Volume & Mute buttons affect the Dish DVR’s output which in turn affects the signal going into the TV. So in one respect the Dish remote is operating the TV’s Volume & Mute in SAT mode.

And it appears I can program the Dish remote’s TV mode to do the same thing.

Do I need to program the TV mode in addition to the AUX mode?

#4 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

I played around a bit more & the Dish remote in SAT mode actually does control the TV's Volume & Mute. I never use this function because I need to control the A/V receiver & therefore never paid attention that the remote's TV mode indicator actually lights up when doing this.

I did try the TV mode & only a few of the TV's functions can be controlled, therefore the remote could never have been programmed to operate the TV. However whatever default codes are in the remote obviously do control a few of the TV's functions. This is what was confusing.

I'll proceed to program the remote as per the instructions for an A/V receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I did try the TV mode & only a few of the TV's functions can be controlled, therefore the remote could never have been programmed to operate the TV.

That's limited mode. To take it off, press
Yellow (shortcut to Settings menu) > Remote Control > Limited Mode
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#6 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

I tried all the codes for the A/V receiver but none turned it off as per testing it. Since I really didn't care about that function I just tried the Mute & Volume and they worked in AUX mode. So I followed the instructions and everything is OK. The Dish remote in SAT mode now controls the A/V receiver.

Thanks everyone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...