Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Coax Cable better than antenna?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

When I got my AM21N, I just connected a piece of coax cable to it, cut the end off and stripped the cable, and stuck it out the window. I was getting pretty good signal on the 2 main stations I want. Channel 8 was 7-85, and 6 (44) was 79-85, while 13 (38) was getting 61-64 (Don't really need this station, but if I get it, it's an added bonus). I figured I'd up the signal some, and increase stability with an antenna, so I got the Winegard FreeVision FV-HD30 http://www.solidsign...-HD30-FV-30BB)-. Just placed it outside, and connected it to the AM21N, and I'm actually getting LOWER signal than the plain coax cable! 8 and 6 (44) were in the low-mid 60's, and 13 (38) was in the low 50's! It was a temp mount, but I wasn't anywhere near the antenna while checking signals. Is coax really that good, or is the antenna just that bad?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

I wouldn't blame the antenna. Perhaps your coax 'rod' antenna is getting syn-phase reflection from a wall.
You should put the antenna higher as possible to get best results.
Use antennaweb, rabbitear sites for define what you need for desired stations.

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

The antenna is in the same exact spot as the coax cable, so I would THINK that would work as a side-by-side comparison?

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Depend... check directions, signals by these web sites' charts.

#5 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

Is the antenna pointed correctly?
It will be very directional (ideally, to eliminate multi-path interference), and the simple coax will not. So, the antenna might be pointed in a direction that gives you multi-path.
The numbers don't correlate to signal strength, usually. They are an indication of the "quality" of the received signal, as it relates to multi-path.

#6 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Is the antenna pointed correctly?
It will be very directional (ideally, to eliminate multi-path interference), and the simple coax will not. So, the antenna might be pointed in a direction that gives you multi-path.
The numbers don't correlate to signal strength, usually. They are an indication of the "quality" of the received signal, as it relates to multi-path.

It's pointing in the direction of the two broadcasting towers.

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

UHF band has dead spots. Sometimes moving the antenna 6 inches up/down or left/right will dramatically change the signal levels. Without a rotor, you just need to move it around, and change directions in 5 degree increments until you find the results you want.

It is very difficult to explain antenna/wire oddities when you are close to the ground or metal objects which can reflect signals around.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Seems to me, kevinturcotte is more interesting in explanation than getting better signal. :)

#9 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

UHF band has dead spots. Sometimes moving the antenna 6 inches up/down or left/right will dramatically change the signal levels. Without a rotor, you just need to move it around, and change directions in 5 degree increments until you find the results you want.

It is very difficult to explain antenna/wire oddities when you are close to the ground or metal objects which can reflect signals around.

I'll try it. I've got new cabling showing up Tuesday, so I'll try it then. Move it around a bit.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:10 PM

Not "a bit" - you'll need install the antenna high as possible and try to keep LOS clear off trees and buildings.

spam firewall