Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv denies problems with receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
734 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

I complained again about the slowness of my HR20-700 and here's the solutions they gave me:

So, 1 basically says not to use the DRV as DVR; 2 and 3 say that they know they put some functions in the receivers that makes them run slow so I should disable them. Why aren't they disabled by default or removed altogether?

Again on suggestion 1, I had to replace my receiver few weeks ago and with now shows in the playlist and no SL it was quite fast. As soon as I have added 2 SL it slowed down to a crawl. So it might be true that SL cause the slowness just the solution given is idiotic.

It wont help,
I have had those features disabled for a long time prior to their "oversize for the box" (receiver) implementation(*S).

Maybe
They shouldve told you to go read the guide but dont use it or any menu key functions. ??

OR
just say " watch youtube and, listen to Pandora" on your *TV box.

Btw
"we Also offer Tv apps... but you cant use them nor do they appear".:rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,799 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

We need 1 topic for all the complaining some people do repeatedly. It seems every topic is the same...

A newer or less active member posts about speed.
Same members pile on about how the boxes suck.
Some good folks suggest possible tips.
More complaining.
Rinse, lather, repeat.

The software is jacked up, it's being worked on, and there's not much anyone can do.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#23 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

I don't want to hear another DirecTV rep claim they've "never" heard of the slowness problem.

I've been haggling with them all week about slowness, and other issues, on my two HR20-700s. Oh, they did offer to upgdrade me...to HR21s.

No thanks.

One of the 700s choked so badly that it couldn't be booted with the red button, I had to yank the power cord...at which point it promptly downloaded the national release software (that it already had). When this box choked, it was downloading a program from the Net, recording one from DirecTV, and playing back a third, all in HD.

These older boxes just do not have the horsepower to keep up with the new features.

They will NEVER admit to a general problem with the older HRs. If DirecTV didn't have MHZw on 2183, I'd be a Dish customer this afternoon.

#24 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

We need 1 topic for all the complaining some people do repeatedly. It seems every topic is the same...

More complaining.
Rinse, lather, repeat.

The software is jacked up, it's being worked on, and there's not much anyone can do.

I admit it - most of my posts are complaints.

I'm glad to see that you said "The software is jacked up, it's being worked on, and there's not much anyone can do." That is about as true as it gets. Turning this off, clearing that etc - isn't going to fix what they've done.

I just hope they are really working on it. It seems that the same cycle has already started for the HR34. You'd think they'd get tired and/or embarrassed or something and break the cycle.

I promise to quit bitching as soon as DirecTV stops screwing up their 'updates'.

#25 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

More complaining.
Rinse, lather, repeat.

Sounds like you have selective reasoning.
Own stock in D*?

Fyi ive had D* since early 96.
have no stock
am not using this forum as a stepping stone to get a job with D*.
(see a number of moderators and "fan boys" who DID/ DO).
Some how that might reflect there is TRUTH.

Btw
You and your post/ defenses remind me of.... Colt Mccoy. ("they beat on me"... Or i mean D* )
Roll tide. :P

#26 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

DirecTV is never going to admit to a problem. .

That is very true, and if they do admit it, its about a year or so after the fact.

I spent 6 months with non working equipment on EVERY job i did.

They finally announced there were issues with the wnc swm lnb and h24-700 receivers, after 6 months of troubles and my wasted time and gas swapping all this stuff out.

#27 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

That is very true, and if they do admit it, its about a year or so after the fact.

I spent 6 months with non working equipment on EVERY job i did.

They finally announced there were issues with the wnc swm lnb and h24-700 receivers, after 6 months of troubles and my wasted time and gas swapping all this stuff out.

That has to be your fault and im Sure deserves an UN justified BUT implemented "charge back".:rolleyes:

#28 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,799 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Btw
You and your post/ defenses remind me of.... Colt Mccoy. ("they beat on me"... Or i mean D* )
Roll tide. :P

Your posts remind me of a former Alabama member who I believe was banned. He used to fire off similar rants with poor sentence structure, as well. Coincidence? :eek2:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 OFFLINE   cptaylor

cptaylor

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

I've gone back and forth with D about my HR22's a few times hoping that they would give me a free or discounted upgrade. But they just play dumb and tell me to reset it or turn off scrolling effects. I know a few people who are recent subs and when I use their HR24 I get jealous of the quick response time.

It's gotten to the point where I'm considering canceling for a while to go with Comcast. I'm hoping D will miss me enough to offer me a great deal to come back (been a Premier sub with HD extra for 3 years now). All I really want are new receivers.

#30 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

Your posts remind me of a former Alabama member who I believe was banned. He used to fire off similar rants with poor sentence structure, as well. Coincidence? :eek2:

Maybe its Just that we crimson tide , southern folks believe in Simple...
.... TRUTH.

Edit:
Btw i just tried to tune to shoTime 545.
I ended up at TMC (non HD West version) after simply using the channel button on the remote.(un countable multiple times)

For 399 i can change that under "lease"-less and give them 24 months More.
hmmm.? decisions???
like i said, simply for FOOOLS.

Edited by Bamasat, 06 April 2012 - 07:36 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Chances are you wont get the same models.

#32 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:32 PM

i know,
i can give D 399$ to fix their own short comings with 1200$+ more over two yrs and then give Samsung and the "america's big box store" 2700$, AND then fix all this.

Solved:

#33 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

If DirecTV didn't have MHZw on 2183, I'd be a Dish customer this afternoon.

What's MHZw?
I don't see anything on 2183.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#34 OFFLINE   MarkG21

MarkG21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

OP: Just a suggestion

Go out and buy (lease) an HR-24 from retail and call direcTV for a credit. I state that because I've read that people on this board has successfully done just that. It might work, it might not work. If it doesn't work, simply return the receiver. It may take the retention department to give you the credit. Just a suggestion.

#35 OFFLINE   brucec32

brucec32

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

We have 2 HD DVRs and both suck. The new guide seems a little better, but there are frequent freeze ups where nothing responds briefly and channel changes can take 10 seconds sometimes. One unit will "double tap" with one button push, and I usually go to a channel by just "getting close" (hitting 236 but getting 233) and scrolling to the channel I actually want.

I'm not picky, I just want to be able to change channels like I could on a $99 19" tv set 20 years ago.

Been a customer since '98. It seems to me the easy part of the service is where they're falling down. Lying about it when customers call is not something I like to support with my dollars. And it's beyond the pale that I have to pay to get units that actually work when they're "leased" but I've already had to pay $200-$300 for them.

I'm investigating other options for the first time seriously.

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:47 AM

Let's stay on topic. Stop discussing each other.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#37 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

If anyone goes from a cable box to a satellite receiver they may be shocked at the slowness but that is just the nature of the technology. That said my HR21 has it hills and valleys in performance and the last couple weeks have been one of those valleys. The slowdowns seem to work themselves out so I just wait it out. I guess it would not be an impressive time for a new customer to come on.

#38 OFFLINE   sunking

sunking

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

Actually there is someone that can do something. Directv could offer money off my bill for my frustrations. Their contract terms do a pretty good job of deterring many peoples other option which is changing providers.

#39 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:09 AM

What's MHZw?
I don't see anything on 2183.

You won't, unless you have the International Dish in addition to your regular setup.

Rather than hijack the thread, let me point you toward the website. Basically, MHZw is a public access channel, given at no extra charge, that is a wealth of international news and programming (including Aussie Football!) all in English or subtitled.

http://mhznetworks.org/

Edited by mnassour, 07 April 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:18 AM

OP: Just a suggestion

Go out and buy (lease) an HR-24 from retail and call direcTV for a credit. I state that because I've read that people on this board has successfully done just that. It might work, it might not work. If it doesn't work, simply return the receiver. It may take the retention department to give you the credit. Just a suggestion.

I've got two HR20s. I'd need two HR24s and two AM21Ns, for a total of $500 from Solid Signal. Has anyone had any luck in getting that much credit from DirecTV for that kind for equipment? No kidding, I'd sign a two year contract for that.

We have 2 HD DVRs and both suck. The new guide seems a little better, but there are frequent freeze ups where nothing responds briefly and channel changes can take 10 seconds sometimes. One unit will "double tap" with one button push, and I usually go to a channel by just "getting close" (hitting 236 but getting 233) and scrolling to the channel I actually want.

I'm not picky, I just want to be able to change channels like I could on a $99 19" tv set 20 years ago.

Been a customer since '98. It seems to me the easy part of the service is where they're falling down. Lying about it when customers call is not something I like to support with my dollars. And it's beyond the pale that I have to pay to get units that actually work when they're "leased" but I've already had to pay $200-$300 for them.

I'm investigating other options for the first time seriously.

I cannot tell you how similar our situations are. It appears that unless you have HR24s or HR34s, you are simply NOT going to get the speed you might have a couple of years ago.

Recently, I had to pull the plug on one of my HR20s, it wouldn't even respond to the red button. After it came back, it re-downloaded the national release and has been...somewhat...stable since.

One thing's for sure...when you call in, you will receive the exact same song and dance from everyone you talk to, no matter what office they are in. They could have 90% of all receivers catch on fire some Saturday morning and that afternoon, they'd still be saying "you're the first person to tell us that!"

As far as changing channels as quickly as that $99 TV, forget that. You can't even do that with a NEW off air set. After all, digital is better, right? Well...in some aspects, no so much.

What helped me the most was a complete unplug, forced download of the national software, and turning off the damned scrolling effects. Put those three together along with a hard drive that's less than half full, and my HR20s are almost acceptable.

DirecTV has poured hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands, of channels into these things....and given that they're working with a system that was designed in the 1990s, the older boxes just can't handle it.

Edited by mnassour, 07 April 2012 - 08:24 AM.

spam firewall