Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv denies problems with receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
734 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I complained again about the slowness of my HR20-700 and here's the solutions they gave me:

So, 1 basically says not to use the DRV as DVR; 2 and 3 say that they know they put some functions in the receivers that makes them run slow so I should disable them. Why aren't they disabled by default or removed altogether?

Again on suggestion 1, I had to replace my receiver few weeks ago and with now shows in the playlist and no SL it was quite fast. As soon as I have added 2 SL it slowed down to a crawl. So it might be true that SL cause the slowness just the solution given is idiotic.

The number of Series Links seems to have absolutely no adverse effect on the HRs. Several of my 12 HRs have 50 SLs and, except for the problems caused by the HD GUI, I see no problems with my HRs whether they have twenty or fifty SLs. I don't have any 21 series HRs except for a rarely used 21-200, and I wouldn't have another 21 in my home under any circumstances. I'd rather buy my replacements on eBay or CL.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

IMHO it's poorly designed software, hardware and/or system used to store the information. I recently switched from Dish to Direct and my 3 year old VIP622 is light years faster then the new HR34 when responding to remote buttons and channel changes. This is even after a couple of days the HR34 was in used to settle down. Funny thing is, the Dish's VIP series doesn't need 12-24 hours to stabilize when new or the software is updated.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#43 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

I too called Friday (4/6) to get help with a H20-700 that keeps re-booting itself and then will not re-authorize via the web. I complained about it and the recent performance of my HR20-100 and the CSR repeated the same bull about "solid dependable equipment, blah,blah, blah." He didn't want to take the time to research why the H20 keeps re-setting itself, not did her even care to ask any questions after I raised the issue about the HR20.
I just received a survey from D* about my experience and I sent it back with my comments. I doubt if anything will come of my response, which is par for D*
I don't want to swtich providers, but I would expect more since I've been a sub since 1996.

#44 OFFLINE   JohnDG

JohnDG

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I still have two HR22s... Before the 'upgrade' to the HD GUI they would generally work although very slowly at everything. Now after the HD GUI I wouldn't even call them functional. Even my HR24-500s are much much slower after the HD GUI. The HR22s can sometimes take 45+ seconds to bring up the list of recorded programs. Forget being able to type a channel number in without first waiting for another screen to come up then entering the channel number.

I have two HR22's that I received new this year: same problem.

See http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=201370 for a discussion of the problems with this release.

jdg

#45 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

This may constitute "piling on" the thread, but my HR 20-100 is still slow as molasses. Ever since it downloaded the redoubtable 0x59e NR, it has been resistant to all efforts to restore it to its previous reasonable level of performance.

All I want is a DVR that works like it is supposed to, with a reasonable level of responsiveness. Prior to Feb. 9th, 2012, that is exactly what I had. Now, I do not. DirecTV has breached their end of our contract, and as a 17 1/2 year subscriber I am entitled to redress of this grievance, and such redress shouldn't cost me anything to implement.

My patience with DirecTV has never grown so short, and my frustration never so great, as they are right now. I would hate to end a heretofore pleasant business relationship over a stupid hardware/software issue, but after the Masters is over this weekend I may just pull the trigger. This stupid HR 20-100 is utterly intolerable as it is right now.

#46 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Frozen UI again this morning after 2-3 uses.
No response to "exit" and stuck in a useless PIG that now days even has no trick play.

So back to: (AGAIN)
RBR and "just a few more seconds".:rolleyes:

-What clock are these "seconds" measured with anyway?
the "soon" clock?

I know its definitely multiple minutes here on central time .

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:21 PM

Frozen UI again this morning after 2-3 uses.
No response to "exit" and stuck in a useless PIG that now days even has no trick play.

So back to: (AGAIN)
RBR and "just a few more seconds".:rolleyes:

-What clock are these "seconds" measured with anyway?
the "soon" clock?

I know its definitely multiple minutes here on central time .

All this should be taken care of soon. We've been thru these nightmares before, they'll fix the problems, just need some patience.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

In my case they are not tearing up something they consider on their farce of a "lease". I see my situation as a completely different boat.

IE: I Own all my boxes and have since 1996.
All wire, all dishes, all switches, and all networking.
My dollar, My hands.
Never a D person on this property.

I pay for signal and function ability.
I am not getting that.

"Their" answer is to give them more money and then be on my first lease in history. :rolleyes:

So like i said with amounts above, i could in essence spend over 2400$ + programming commitment, 399$ new hardware, and if i go by what a lost CSR may say.. up to 2700$ on an RVU tv.
Hmm, i just bought a very very nice SUV for less than that by far.

They didnt break "theirs",
They broke MINE.
Go figure.:nono2:

#49 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

You won't, unless you have the International Dish in addition to your regular setup.

Rather than hijack the thread, let me point you toward the website. Basically, MHZw is a public access channel, given at no extra charge, that is a wealth of international news and programming (including Aussie Football!) all in English or subtitled.

http://mhznetworks.org/

Thanks, I'd never heard of this network.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#50 OFFLINE   MarkG21

MarkG21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

"Their" answer is to give them more money and then be on my first lease in history. :rolleyes:

So like i said with amounts above, i could in essence spend over 2400$ + programming commitment, 399$ new hardware, and if i go by what a lost CSR may say.. up to 2700$ on an RVU tv.
Hmm, i just bought a very very nice SUV for less than that by far.

They didnt break "theirs",
They broke MINE.
Go figure.:nono2:

Can you please elaborate the $2,400?

#51 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Can you please elaborate the $2,400?

111$ per month (my bill) for 24 consecutive months.
( the contract term to and after upgrade of EQ times amount per month with current programming = over 2400$)

#52 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

If I can offer one more thing to check. I was really pissed about how clunky my HR24 was getting. It was taking a VERY LONG TIME to respond to my remote. Exasperated, I finally changed the batteries in my remote (which are only a year old) and things are good again. I thought the remotes either worked or they didn't. But, with weak batteries they can apparently cause things to be really slow too.

#53 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

If I can offer one more thing to check. I was really pissed about how clunky my HR24 was getting. It was taking a VERY LONG TIME to respond to my remote. Exasperated, I finally changed the batteries in my remote (which are only a year old) and things are good again. I thought the remotes either worked or they didn't. But, with weak batteries they can apparently cause things to be really slow too.

thanks
But a large commercial emergency diesel generator wired to the remote with 100cm,
wouldnt fix this.

Ive changed batteries multiple times.
(have 2 rf remotes per IRD fed tv - not considering/including back feed/mirror locations)

#54 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm not a complainer. More often I'm a skeptic regarding folks' complaints.

But this time I have to agree. I've concluded the new, HD GUI is a disaster. Our HR20-700 was entirely satisfactory before the new GUI. Now it's like molasses in January. PLUS everyone's lost functionality in the PIG.

I see no significant gains to counterbalance the negatives. The guide looks prettier. So what?
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#55 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,202 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I gave up on slow DirecTV receivers six months ago and switched to FiOS.

I can see after reading through this thread and others that I did the right thing, even though I had to pay an 8-month termination fee.

I went to the doctor's office last week and my blood pressure was lower than it has been in a couple of years. <g>
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#56 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

billsharpe I gave up on slow DirecTV receivers six months ago and switched to FiOS.

I can see after reading through this thread and others that I did the right thing, even though I had to pay an 8-month termination fee.

I went to the doctor's office last week and my blood pressure was lower than it has been in a couple of years. <g>

My billing cycle ends the 22nd of this month.
For the first time since the mid 90's i may be getting ESPN from a different source.

Also,
Next week i will be speaking with someone going forward considering all my Owned EQ (personal property) and my options considering this debacle.
Appointment made. ;)

#57 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

This helps

Delete movies till hard drive is 50% free

Then pull power cord for 60 seconds, then plug back in

Seems faster, bet I need to do this weekly
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#58 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

My $0.02.

I have three HD DVRs, an HR20 and 2 HR22.

The HR20 has sounded like it's been about to die for the past six months and it's HDMI connection is iffy. It got the recent software updates and responds as well or better than before.

My two HR22 didn't get my most recent update (the one that included Pandora) until at least three weeks after my HR20. One HR22 works the same while the other HR22 has had numerous slowdowns and can be unresponsive, despite resets and all that jazz.

The only moral I can find from my own experience is that there doesn't seem to be a universal "true" experience when it comes to hardware/software.

#59 OFFLINE   freerein100

freerein100

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

I know we shouldn't need to do this but if anyone is having the slow response problem try going to channel 1 and pressing red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green....... it normally helps on my HR20-700's

#60 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

I know we shouldn't need to do this but if anyone is having the slow response problem try going to channel 1 and pressing red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green....... it normally helps on my HR20-700's

OK, what the heck is that? Never heard of that trick. Is it something from Directv's engineers?

spam firewall