Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv denies problems with receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
734 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Can you please elaborate the $2,400?

111$ per month (my bill) for 24 consecutive months.
( the contract term to and after upgrade of EQ times amount per month with current programming = over 2400$)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

If I can offer one more thing to check. I was really pissed about how clunky my HR24 was getting. It was taking a VERY LONG TIME to respond to my remote. Exasperated, I finally changed the batteries in my remote (which are only a year old) and things are good again. I thought the remotes either worked or they didn't. But, with weak batteries they can apparently cause things to be really slow too.

#53 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

If I can offer one more thing to check. I was really pissed about how clunky my HR24 was getting. It was taking a VERY LONG TIME to respond to my remote. Exasperated, I finally changed the batteries in my remote (which are only a year old) and things are good again. I thought the remotes either worked or they didn't. But, with weak batteries they can apparently cause things to be really slow too.

thanks
But a large commercial emergency diesel generator wired to the remote with 100cm,
wouldnt fix this.

Ive changed batteries multiple times.
(have 2 rf remotes per IRD fed tv - not considering/including back feed/mirror locations)

#54 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

I'm not a complainer. More often I'm a skeptic regarding folks' complaints.

But this time I have to agree. I've concluded the new, HD GUI is a disaster. Our HR20-700 was entirely satisfactory before the new GUI. Now it's like molasses in January. PLUS everyone's lost functionality in the PIG.

I see no significant gains to counterbalance the negatives. The guide looks prettier. So what?
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#55 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I gave up on slow DirecTV receivers six months ago and switched to FiOS.

I can see after reading through this thread and others that I did the right thing, even though I had to pay an 8-month termination fee.

I went to the doctor's office last week and my blood pressure was lower than it has been in a couple of years. <g>
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#56 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

billsharpe I gave up on slow DirecTV receivers six months ago and switched to FiOS.

I can see after reading through this thread and others that I did the right thing, even though I had to pay an 8-month termination fee.

I went to the doctor's office last week and my blood pressure was lower than it has been in a couple of years. <g>

My billing cycle ends the 22nd of this month.
For the first time since the mid 90's i may be getting ESPN from a different source.

Also,
Next week i will be speaking with someone going forward considering all my Owned EQ (personal property) and my options considering this debacle.
Appointment made. ;)

#57 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 932 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

This helps

Delete movies till hard drive is 50% free

Then pull power cord for 60 seconds, then plug back in

Seems faster, bet I need to do this weekly
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#58 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

My $0.02.

I have three HD DVRs, an HR20 and 2 HR22.

The HR20 has sounded like it's been about to die for the past six months and it's HDMI connection is iffy. It got the recent software updates and responds as well or better than before.

My two HR22 didn't get my most recent update (the one that included Pandora) until at least three weeks after my HR20. One HR22 works the same while the other HR22 has had numerous slowdowns and can be unresponsive, despite resets and all that jazz.

The only moral I can find from my own experience is that there doesn't seem to be a universal "true" experience when it comes to hardware/software.

#59 OFFLINE   freerein100

freerein100

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

I know we shouldn't need to do this but if anyone is having the slow response problem try going to channel 1 and pressing red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green....... it normally helps on my HR20-700's

#60 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

I know we shouldn't need to do this but if anyone is having the slow response problem try going to channel 1 and pressing red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green....... it normally helps on my HR20-700's

OK, what the heck is that? Never heard of that trick. Is it something from Directv's engineers?

#61 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,483 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

OK, what the heck is that? Never heard of that trick. Is it something from Directv's engineers?

That clears the unit's nonvolatile ram and it can sometimes speed up a box with problems.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#62 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,120 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

But this time I have to agree. I've concluded the new, HD GUI is a disaster. Our HR20-700 was entirely satisfactory before the new GUI. Now it's like molasses in January. PLUS everyone's lost functionality in the PIG.

I see no significant gains to counterbalance the negatives. The guide looks prettier. So what?

Got a good chuckle out of that brief summation....:lol:

Rich

#63 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

DirecTV is never going to admit to a problem.

Back in 2002, when Sony stopped manufacturing receivers but put its brand name on Hughes receivers, the receivers called Hughes GAEBO/GCEBO and Sony B65/A65 were turkeys and had all kinds of problems that neither Hughes or Sony would acknowledge. Hughes didn't reply to the distress messages I left for them on their dedicated DirecTV receiver service line and then they had that line permanently rerouted to DirecTV, and Sony would not reply to e-mail complaints.

Then, this guest post was authored by someone calling himself TrustMe

From DBSTalk, October 27, 2002:
http://www.dbstalk.c...63960#post63960

The long awaited download for the GAEB0/GCEB0 models has already begun. The new software version number will be 5075. Here are more details and the current download schedule:

October 14th- October 15th - will download at 1:20 AM PST to the state of Colorado only to customers with P3 cards.
October 16th - will download at 1:20 AM PST to the Mountain Time Zone to P3 cards only.
October 17th - will download at 1:20 AM PST to the Pacific Time Zone to P3 cards only.
October 22nd - will download at 1:20 AM PST to the Central Time Zone to P3 cards only.
October 23rd - will download at 1:20 AM PST to the Eastern Time Zone and to all cards including P4 cards.
On October 29th - we will begin a download at 2:20 PM PST to hit the retailers that unplug their boxes at night and missed the download.

Per DIRECTV, this whole schedule is based on call volume. If they receive a large amount of calls from this download, they will stop the download.

Here is the message the user will see appear on screen:

"Congratulations! You have just received a software upgrade that improves the performance of your DIRECTV™ receiver. During this process, your Favorites List and WatchWord settings have been reset. If you use those features, you will need to re-customize those settings.
Please press OK to return to video."

The download is optional so if the user is watching television he/she will get an option to do the download "Now" or "Later". If the box is off when the download comes, the user will receive the download. If the user does not choose "Now" or "Later" the box will automatically begin downloading. Once the download begins, it will take about 5 minutes to complete. Once the download is finished, the user will be taken back to video. When the user presses a key on the remote control or bezel of the unit, the message above will appear. To clear the message, the user must press "Select" or "Clear".

Here is a list of items that this download fixes:

Provides better audio/video processing to minimize video freeze conditions as experienced in some local-n-local spot beam transmissions.
Improves the performance of the Watch Word feature.
Corrects the behavior of Favorite Lists so that new channels are not automatically added to the list .
Corrects potential caller-id condition not displaying information on incoming calls.
Prevents intermittent double keystrokes and random channel change.
Improves tuner performance at channel change.
Updates all logos to the current advanced program guide versions.
Corrects some MDU transponder performance issues.
Corrects intermittent channel changes seen by some customers.

Even more great news!

The losing time and guide issues have been corrected in the HNS GAEB0A and GCEB0A models. A software patch was broadcast on Thursday evening. October 17th that corrects the issue. The IRD will not require a re-boot. The download will be completely transparent to the end user. The way to confirm the unit has successfully received the patch is to go to the "Test" screen to view the s/w version number. IRDs without the patch have version number 5599.0.3. IRDs with the patch have version 5599.1.3.

The archived name associated with this post is now "testme". Back in that era, when someone authored a guest post at DBSTalk, after a few months the user name was changed. I've been active here for ten years myself, but didn't register at first, and then some registrations got wiped out after that, so my 2004 Join Date makes me look like a newbie. ;)

A couple of weeks later, Sony replied to my complaint. They simply apologized for not replying earlier and said that since they hadn't heard from me again, they would just assume that I had managed to remedy my problems myself and so they would not be contacting me further regarding this matter.

Someone over at DBSForums who claimed to be familiar with DirecTV's contracting practices at the time said that a receiver manufacturer was entitled to one "free" software update download, after which they would incur significant financial penalties if any later ones were required, so the receiver manufacturers might have been averse to develop and send out revised software too early on in the manufacture interval for fear of incurring financial penalties if other bugs were discovered. Caveat: the "insider" who posted that was also anonymous and so its validity cannot be verified.

Edited by AntAltMike, 25 April 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#64 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

I still have the Hughes GXCEBOT - the original Hughes directv tivo .
(1998/1999 & got it before the public could touch it).
It still sits here within reach.

Still Got the sony boxes, the Rca's (drd's), the samsungs, and every hughes prob every made and every one of D*'s boxes (besides 34/24).

Summary:
NDS and rupert himself with his Blatant dirty D* deeds (done dirt cheap) ...,.....
(for profit and at All costs)

And. .. Here we sit. :rolleyes:

#65 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,066 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

... Still Got the sony boxes, the Rca's (drd's),

The RCAs had a hidden service screen they wouldn't tell you about. If you press in "info" and left arrow at the same time, you can access them. And on the early Sonys - B2 or B3, I forget - if you press in "Menu" and "down" at the same time, you used to be able to actually incrementally adjust a destacker input frequency, so you could even use it with Global/Foxcom 600 MHz frequency shifted systems.

#66 OFFLINE   Bamasat

Bamasat

AllStar

• Banned User
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

so you could even use it with Global/Foxcom 600 MHz frequency shifted systems.

Wow! i forgot about that!

Yep mike,
Most of these people here have no clue to "the history".
*blind to facts also.

I saw the writing on the wall when News corp, NDS, and Rupert stepped near.

Sooon after, came THE " LEASE" program and "their Trap".
I went to cicuit city and bought up stuff before the eminent day in March was approaching. (r-15's ect ect)

Our trade (mike) implemented the rest of the EQ. ;)
As still to this day "they" have never stepped near here (said with pride)

I quit supporting them, years ago and gave up a high high (as you can attest)
reward in doing so. (Mdu's and all!!)

Reason: simple ethics and i cant believe to this day i still pay them for signal knowing all of what i know.
I aim to finally change that and shamefull enough finally:
due to this debacle (Dvrs ect) and simply ive had enough for supporting such
BS. Its not even fair biz practice to the end user IMHO.

Like i said somewhere else in this forum and regarding the hacker Rupert story....
"this "aint" GM, hughes nor USSB". - Ethics? NONE.

Its a farce in most of these people eyes and i guarentee if most knew what we know and had 1 once of ethical fortitude, they would be gone too.

Ahhh then Came Malone..:rolleyes: (different story)

#67 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

That clears the unit's nonvolatile ram and it can sometimes speed up a box with problems.

Thanks! Will be trying that tonight.

#68 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 656 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks! Will be trying that tonight.

When you go to channel 1, let it completely load before you start pressing the colored buttons.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#69 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

disabling the remote id works also
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#70 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

+1

#71 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Today, my HR20s were replaced by HR24s. Don't let anyone, anyone, anyone, tell you there's no difference in speed.

#72 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Today, my HR20s were replaced by HR24s. Don't let anyone, anyone, anyone, tell you there's no difference in speed.

Now get 50 SL's on each box and get those HD's 98% full.

#73 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Now get 50 SL's on each box and get those HD's 98% full.

Good point, but the 20s had been cleared and the drives were all but blank. Yes, we did it all....and it made no difference.

#74 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Good point, but the 20s had been cleared and the drives were all but blank. Yes, we did it all....and it made no difference.

The 24s will still be faster but it's like installing a fresh OS on a new computer and drooling at the boot time. Then you start to actually use the computer.

Most people complain about speed and they have maxxed out SL's and constant HD Free space of 10% or less.

There are some legit complaints as well as I've had times where you can tell it's doing something in the background because it doesn't respond right away but then it catches up and is fine. If I were someone who watched live TV and channel hopped a lot I could see how this would be a problem if it did it all the time.

I'm also, apparently, in a minority where I don't use my DVR's as archives or keep SL's around that I no longer use.

#75 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Most people complain about speed and they have maxxed out SL's and constant HD Free space of 10% or less.

There are some legit complaints as well as I've had times where you can tell it's doing something in the background because it doesn't respond right away but then it catches up and is fine. If I were someone who watched live TV and channel hopped a lot I could see how this would be a problem if it did it all the time.

I'm also, apparently, in a minority where I don't use my DVR's as archives or keep SL's around that I no longer use.

I have about 20 to 30 SLs on each of my HR21s and right now have 89% free space on one HR21 and 92% free space on the other, and they are slow as molasses more often than not. My R22, which my daughter uses, is just as slow. It has 15 SLs and 25% Free space. When she complains about the speed, I tell her to clean out her playlist and it should get better, which it does around the 50% free mark.

By comparison, my HR24 has 36 SLs and is currently at 74% free space and it is fast more often than not. It has moments where it acts a little sluggish, but it's only a couple seconds and it recovers quickly and is then as fast as ever.

So what's causing my slowness on the HR21s if it's not "maxed out SLs and 10% Free space"? They were good with speed right after the HD Guide update but after the Pandora one, they both went way downhill. They have always been a little slow, but it wasn't really that bad. Now, it's the worst I've ever seen. I've never had a days trouble with any of them, except for this speed issue. I just hope that Directv addresses it in a future update.

HR34-700 with Deca MRV
HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...