Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv denies problems with receivers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
734 replies to this topic

#721 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,786 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Interesting intellectual tussling going about here. Both sides have merit but I'd bet there are reasons we are where we are at.

The competitive nature of the industry forces development to release in absurdly short timespans and frequently instead of "miss Right" we get "miss Right Now". Likely based on a spreadsheet that has a churn figure applied to another spreadsheet that shows avg time to iron out bugs.

I'd expect these issues to clear themselves in a relatively short time frame as in likely a month or two but keep in mind there are changes being made we don't see.

DECA was implemented as a phase one spec as I recall and there was at least a design plan to expand its current limits (this is really the RVU spec IIRC). To double the capacity using the same bandwidth, and physical memory requirements would require some creative reworking on a platform already in flight.

Of course that is mere speculation on my part, there are a myriad of other things in order to stay competitive and leverage existing equipment where possible that are having to be worked into the already in flight equipment.

It becomes a balancing act but really. I do get impatient with a slow receiver once in awhile but then I think back when changing the channel meant getting up and walking across the room to turn a knob. To see a program listing required a newspaper or an expensive TV guide subscription. and we had maybe 10 or less channels.

We've come a long way and though yes we pay for it really you are getting the programs in amazing clarity and sound without having to go for the tin foil or adjust the antenna after each channel change. It truly is light years ahead of TV even 10 years ago.

So if a spreadsheet projects say a < 1% loss for a quarter on subscribers dropping the service due to some of these receiver issues, and another projects a 3% gain buy adding and marketing new features well. . . Think about the math with 30 million subscribers even the 1% and 3% POOMA (Pulled Out Of My A**) numbers I made up, that's a whole lot of money per month.

When I look at the changes Direct TV has implemented over the last 6 years I've had them, there have been things that torqued me big time but in the end I get *tons* of programming in near perfect HD, with good quality digital audio, ability to view a program recorded in one room in any room equipped with an HD receiver or DVR, and may other features that I personally could care less about but I'm typically in the minority on such matters. I feel like I need to maintain perspective.

Don "We have some of the coolest toys here right now" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#722 OFFLINE   rick390

rick390

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

These receivers take forever to change channels or any other function. Shouldn't they provide free upgrades to provide decent service?? After all....many of us do not have the advantage of getting free units like some people on DBSTalk do :confused:

I have HR21 i think, its fairly new and I also just got a new hd/dvr receiver. Both are experiencing long lag times between channel changes. The screen goes completely black for 5 seconds or longer. DTV told me to go into my settings and turn "scrolling effects" off and also turn off "native". I did turn them both off but it only improves the situation a little. It still takes an unacceptable amount of time to change between channels.

#723 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,779 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

I have HR21 i think, its fairly new and I also just got a new hd/dvr receiver. Both are experiencing long lag times between channel changes. The screen goes completely black for 5 seconds or longer. DTV told me to go into my settings and turn "scrolling effects" off and also turn off "native". I did turn them both off but it only improves the situation a little. It still takes an unacceptable amount of time to change between channels.

Try this. Go to channel 1. Wait for it to load. Using the remote rapidly press Red Red Blue Blue Yellow Green. On the lower left of the screen you should see NVRAM/Flash is cleared. Should speed up your receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#724 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

I thought he was a Directv Customer according to his Profile Info. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Ok...so back to topic and maybe back to the OP (now almost a month old information).

In the end, every DirecTV customer should have the reasonable expectation to get both good quality service and good customer service. It would seem the OP doesn't feel like they have. While many of us may have alternative experiences, I respect the OP right to have his own opinion.

Another thread on this topic indicates a new National firmware release has already started...and there appear to be many reports there that the performance issues indicated by the OP may have now been addressed. Hopefully that is the case.

Maybe we should just look at things along those lines. Otherwise, there doesn't appear a whole lot more to add at this point. :shrug:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#725 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:28 PM

It's interesting that no one has posted videos about how slow their receivers are. I'd really like to see the 10-15+ channel changes, 30 second guide loads, etc.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#726 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

It's interesting that no one has posted videos about how slow their receivers are. I'd really like to see the 10-15+ channel changes, 30 second guide loads, etc.

If my word, as an established member of these forums from before Santa on the HR20-700 is not acceptable, then I have nothing further to contribute.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#727 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

I tried getting video on it a couple of times, but my SD card filled up before the channel finally changed. :P

#728 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

I just cleaned up a bunch of crap, whining, and just plain thread crapping.

KEEP ON TOPIC. BE RESPECTFUL. BE CIVIL.

Infractions and thread bans are next.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#729 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

If my word, as an established member of these forums from before Santa on the HR20-700 is not acceptable, then I have nothing further to contribute.

No one believed those of us without these "horrible" slow downs, so a couple of us provided video. I respect your posts, but it's not personal.

I tried getting video on it a couple of times, but my SD card filled up before the channel finally changed. :P

Such a hilarious jokester. :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#730 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

I received the latest update on my HR 20 / 100 and I'm pleased to report that my beloved DVR has been restored to it's former self. :) The only oddity was the need to cold boot the DVR because it was unresponsive even to button pushes after the download (discovered it the following day). I was then greeted with the message that whole-home had been activated on my receiver. All of my previous resolutions and settings were untouched.

I get the list now in under two seconds, deletes from list are instant, in general everything is restored.

Nice job with this one...couldn't be more pleased.

#731 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

Setup links in sigs can be illuminating. :cuttle:

#732 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,306 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

I actually wish more would put them, would make troubleshooting easier, if they are up to date.

#733 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,082 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

How so?

I actually wish more would put them, would make troubleshooting easier, if they are up to date.

Agreed!

#734 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

How so?

Sigma1914, I have one question. Have you read whats in your signature line lately? ;)
HR34-700, HR22-100

#735 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Folks, this thread has just plain gone on too long.

Firmware 05c9 is rolling out now. If it doesn't fix your receiver issues then please post in the issues and discussion thread.

There is nothing wrong with ranting or complaining but when you start turning on each other, infractions will be issued and threads closed.

Such as, this one.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...