Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR software feature requests

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TD22057

TD22057

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I thought it would be a good idea to start capturing software feature requests somewhere. Since it seems like updates are still rolling out, perhaps we can get some new items added. Feel free to add your own - if we get enough requests, perhaps we can start a poll to prioritize them.

1) Allow DVR contents to be displayed in a list view like the 622. The show title is the smallest part of the box in the current tile view which makes it difficult to read, the largest piece of the tile is the channel icon which is the least useful piece of information, and long titles don't fit in the tile width. Having a list view that shows the title and episode length (for shows) or title/folder name and number of items (for folders) would be very useful. That format does show fewer items on the screen but they are easier to read and it's faster to find the item you want. Basically an optional view that's similar to the 622/722 would be great.

2) Show prime time recordings with explicit timers in the upcoming recordings schedule. For example, we record "Person of Interest" as a separate timer so we don't loose them after 8 days. It's great that it's recorded as part of PTAT and then immediately copied out to the regular DVR. But the upcoming recording schedule doesn't show that - it just shows that PTAT will be recorded on Thursday. Since we only record new episodes of most of our shows, that makes it very difficult to see what prime time shows that are coming up are new that we'll want to watch in the next week.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mbolack

mbolack

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

When recording a series, I want a setting to tell it to record one of each episode. This would be very useful when you are recording a series that is also broadcasting reruns that you haven't recorded yet. Otherwise you have no choice but to tell it to record new and reruns, and you get a lot of dupes.

#3 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

When you place your cursor on the thumbnail, the title will scroll displaying the full title as it scrolls across the thumbnail. It scrolls from left to right. Thanks.

I thought it would be a good idea to start capturing software feature requests somewhere. Since it seems like updates are still rolling out, perhaps we can get some new items added. Feel free to add your own - if we get enough requests, perhaps we can start a poll to prioritize them.

1) Allow DVR contents to be displayed in a list view like the 622. The show title is the smallest part of the box in the current tile view which makes it difficult to read, the largest piece of the tile is the channel icon which is the least useful piece of information, and long titles don't fit in the tile width. Having a list view that shows the title and episode length (for shows) or title/folder name and number of items (for folders) would be very useful. That format does show fewer items on the screen but they are easier to read and it's faster to find the item you want. Basically an optional view that's similar to the 622/722 would be great.

2) Show prime time recordings with explicit timers in the upcoming recordings schedule. For example, we record "Person of Interest" as a separate timer so we don't loose them after 8 days. It's great that it's recorded as part of PTAT and then immediately copied out to the regular DVR. But the upcoming recording schedule doesn't show that - it just shows that PTAT will be recorded on Thursday. Since we only record new episodes of most of our shows, that makes it very difficult to see what prime time shows that are coming up are new that we'll want to watch in the next week.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

When you place your cursor on the thumbnail, the title will scroll displaying the full title as it scrolls across the thumbnail. It scrolls from left to right. Thanks.

The title and description also appears at the top of the screen.

#5 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

When recording a series, I want a setting to tell it to record one of each episode. This would be very useful when you are recording a series that is also broadcasting reruns that you haven't recorded yet. Otherwise you have no choice but to tell it to record new and reruns, and you get a lot of dupes.

How are you creating timers? If you create the timer by selecting an episode in the guide and select new and reruns it will skip duplicates. If your initial selection is a rerun it defaults to new and reruns. If your initial selection is a new episode the default is new. I believe that some complaining about duplicates are creating their timers with seek and record.

#6 OFFLINE   mbolack

mbolack

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

No, I'm not using seek and record. But I am still getting duplicates with new and reruns. It isn't a horrible problem to go through once a week and delete out duplicates.

But it seems to me that this sophisticated software ought to be programmable to have the option to check what you already have recorded and not record a dupe of those episodes. Perhaps this is because some of the shows in the series(s) I am recording are several years old. But they all show episode numbers in the guide. That's why I worded my request the way I did. Record only one of each episode.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

But it seems to me that this sophisticated software ought to be programmable to have the option to check what you already have recorded and not record a dupe of those episodes. Perhaps this is because some of the shows in the series(s) I am recording are several years old. But they all show episode numbers in the guide. That's why I worded my request the way I did. Record only one of each episode.

I believe it works that way on older receivers. I have had recordings skipped because the program "already exists" on the DVR. I have not tried that on the Hopper but I agree that the feature requested should be able to be worked in.

#8 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

How are you creating timers? If you create the timer by selecting an episode in the guide and select new and reruns it will skip duplicates. If your initial selection is a rerun it defaults to new and reruns. If your initial selection is a new episode the default is new. I believe that some complaining about duplicates are creating their timers with seek and record.

Thanks for clearing up what I thought was random choice of "new and reruns" or "only new" when creating timers.

#9 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

No, I'm not using seek and record. But I am still getting duplicates with new and reruns. It isn't a horrible problem to go through once a week and delete out duplicates.

Sounds like the series you are getting dupes on have bad guide info and don't trigger the skip. None of the series that I have new and rerun set on are recording dupes. I do remember the problem on my 622 when the guide info changed format in a series or two on some channels. I don't think it's a Hopper problem unless you have a defective unit. You can fix some of it with weekly or M-F timers, but some cable channels scatter episodes too much for that to always work.

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

I don't know if this would have an impact, but (on the ViP series) if you have an episode on an external hard drive, the tuner won't know this and would record an episode of a show if it was set to 'all episodes'.

#11 OFFLINE   fredpb

fredpb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

I would like it if the Slingbox could connect to devices on my home LAN directly, not go over the internet. I like to side out on my back porch at night and smoke and watch my Dish. But the throughput is sometimes slow, since it goes all over the country just to get 40 feet.
Hopper w/1 Joey.
Living Room:
Samsung HL-T5687S 56" DLP TV.
Panasonic 3D DVD player.
Yamaha Receiver and sub.
Roku.
Netgear Entertainer.

Bedroom:
Vizio VW32L LCD 32" Widescreen TV.
Sony 1080p upconverting DVD player.
Joey.
Roku.

#12 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

If it knows it's on your network, it knows the path automatically and stays inside your network.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

If it knows it's on your network, it knows the path automatically and stays inside your network.

Then why big brother want you connect to their servers, log all commands and send them to your device what is reside in your network in 100 feet?
And not allow you to do that if Internet connection is down !

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'm sorry, I'm all out of tinfoil.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

Correct ... and nice to be able to use my home wi-fi from my notebook or cellphone to watch something via sling at a faster rate than my Internet connection.

#16 OFFLINE   gboybama

gboybama

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I know we have parental controls.

But, for those of us who are generally short on tuners in the house, I think each Joey should have a secure way of locking any selected Joey out of setting recordings or modifying the programs on the DVR. Make it a sort of "read only" client.

If I have a Joey in my five year old's room, I don't want them to be able to accidentally delete any of my timers or recordings and I may not want them scheduling the Hopper to record 200 episodes of Sponge Bob either.

Right now, there's nothing stopping them from doing any of that.

I am amazed that this feature was not included already.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:29 AM

I want a setting to tell it to record one of each episode. This would be very useful when you are recording a series that is also broadcasting reruns that you haven't recorded yet

It should do this already as long as you don't set your timer to "new" only. It will not record more than one of each episode unless something is wrong with the EPG data... and it will record any unique episode as long as you haven't flagged to only record new ones.

Edited by James Long, 12 April 2012 - 09:01 PM.
Removed spam image from quote

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#18 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

We should be able to cut off time from the beginning or end of a recording.

I recorded a PG-13 movie from Cinemax. The auto timer started 3 minutes early. Imagine my chagrin when the previous show had not finished and was a Skinemax special! I couldn't very well keep the recording.

#19 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

We should be able to cut off time from the beginning or end of a recording.

I recorded a PG-13 movie from Cinemax. The auto timer started 3 minutes early. Imagine my chagrin when the previous show had not finished and was a Skinemax special! I couldn't very well keep the recording.

You can edit start/stop on individual timers or the default, but not recordings after recording.

#20 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

1) Allow DVR contents to be displayed in a list view like the 622.

+1
I am unfamiliar with the 622, but a list view would be nice.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...