Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR software feature requests

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Being able to trim a recording after completion has been a request since DISH first sold a DVR. I don't see it coming but wouldn't mind if it did.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Being able to trim a recording after completion has been a request since DISH first sold a DVR. I don't see it coming but wouldn't mind if it did.

Agree. It would be especially nice to go with the primetime anytime feature... so instead of having to set timers to catch events with start/end padding... you could just go into that primetime block and mark start/end points to break out to separate recordings as you wish.

I too have encountered the adult snippet before or after a family movie on late-night premium channel DVR recordings. It's one thing to catch skinemax before another adult movie... but when you catch a snippet of skinemax near a non-adult program it can be surprising.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#23 OFFLINE   gboybama

gboybama

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:14 AM

Also, why not have a user setting on boxes, especially Joeys, for selecting how long a TV should be idle before automatically shutting down?

With Joeys eating up tuners on Hoppers, I would choose to set a timeout of like 30 minutes of live TV with no interaction before the Joey would turn off.

That way, my family of inattentive viewers and kids would not screw up recorded events or leave other TV's that might be turned on without a tuner.

#24 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

gboybama,

It's there - menu, settings, diagnostics, updates - but the minimum time offered is 2 hours.

#25 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

In my EHA I've noticed multiple actions (delete, protect, etc. is not possible with the Hopper system. The 922 had these options? ALso my EHD icons are very slow in appearing, 2 to 3 a day? The content and titles are there just no pictures for some.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

Also, why not have a user setting on boxes, especially Joeys, for selecting how long a TV should be idle before automatically shutting down?

With Joeys eating up tuners on Hoppers, I would choose to set a timeout of like 30 minutes of live TV with no interaction before the Joey would turn off.

That way, my family of inattentive viewers and kids would not screw up recorded events or leave other TV's that might be turned on without a tuner.

So... what happens when you are watching a 1 hour TV show, and 30 minutes into it your Joey shuts off?

30 mins of idle time is far too low with all but a handful of TV programs lasting no less than 30 minutes.

I would think the 2 hour idle time setting is low enough to accomplish what you are asking.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#27 OFFLINE   gboybama

gboybama

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

gboybama,

It's there - menu, settings, diagnostics, updates - but the minimum time offered is 2 hours.

I spoke too soon. Thank you.

They should give the truly anal retentive among us more choices for lower timeouts though. :lol:

#28 OFFLINE   jgcecg

jgcecg

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Suggested improvements to Hopper software, current version S09
1 Use Rotten Tomato rating system like direct TV for movies

2 Use LIST of shows instead of B&W Icons in:
MY RECORDINGS, My Folders or Folders by Genre
Software version S09 - Shows are listed as black and white icons

Icons are very hard to read, compared to the color icons
shows are not grouped, like they are in PTA (Prime Time Anytime) or My Recordings, folders by title.

Why can’t there be a choice to have a list like they are in
prime time anytime or my recording, folders by title?

3 users should be able to increase their partition to 1.5 TB is not using PTA (Prime Time Anytime)
I understand that you are trying to idiot proof the Hopper for technology challenged people.
For people like myself that don't need PTA, I would rather have a clean easy to read menu system and more storage.

#29 OFFLINE   j_t

j_t

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

+1
I am unfamiliar with the 622, but a list view would be nice.

List View option would be really nice. I can't read the little print under the icons. Especially in the search results, where it displays what date and time a program airs.

#30 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

A feature of older DVRs that is missing from the 922 and, I assume, Hopper:

With the DVR list sorted A-Z, be able to jump to shows that start with a given letter (8 takes you to T titles). Also expand that to do what the older DVRs still don't, be able to press that number again to get to the next letters (pressing 8-8-8 cycles through T-U-V).
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#31 OFFLINE   orenr

orenr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Here's the list of features I'd like to see:

1. The recordings shown as a list (there's a separate topic for that too, and I think this is everyone's #1 request)

2a. Show the separate timers for PTAT in the timers list.  I know they appear as skipped, but showing all the skipped timers in order to see these is a pain.

2b. Show the separate timers for PTAT in the guide.  Those yellow PTAT symbols provide no additional information, I know if I have PTAT enabled or not.

3. Make the description of the program that appears at the top larger (this means make the guide or whatever smaller).  Right now the program description is only a couple of rows so there's almost no useful information.  One must open the info box to see what the program is about.

4. In the timers list, add buttons for jumping to today/next day, like on the 622/722

5. Personally, I don't like the deleted recordings folder.  Add an option to hide it.

6. My long time beef with the Dish guide (not specific to Hopper): show the full title of the programs.  They have this bad habit of cutting the end of the title because it exceeds some character count threshold.

#32 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

3 and 6 could be done with a popup when you select that item, thereby not having to rearrange the guide - I want more lines in the guide - not fewer.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#33 OFFLINE   crabtrp

crabtrp

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

If multiple Hoppers are running over MOCA then merge operations. Have an option of showing a merged DVR list or separate. If PTAT is running on one of the Hoppers then show them in the PTAT folder for the other without having to select the other Hopper. Share the tuners so that it would show the 6 tuners together and allow any of the Hoppers/Joeys to schedule 6 shows before it throws up a conflict.

#34 OFFLINE   orenr

orenr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

3 and 6 could be done with a popup when you select that item, thereby not having to rearrange the guide - I want more lines in the guide - not fewer.

For #3, I realize that not everybody likes the same things.  I'd like an option to set my own preferences, like on 622/722.

For #6, the problem is that the title is cut in the guide itself.  Even if you pop the info box, it still shows the same cut title.  That's exactly what I'm asking for: the full title in the info box, even when it doesn't fit in the guide grid.

#35 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

...2) Show prime time recordings with explicit timers in the upcoming recordings schedule. For example, we record "Person of Interest" as a separate timer so we don't loose them after 8 days. It's great that it's recorded as part of PTAT and then immediately copied out to the regular DVR. But the upcoming recording schedule doesn't show that - it just shows that PTAT will be recorded on Thursday. Since we only record new episodes of most of our shows, that makes it very difficult to see what prime time shows that are coming up are new that we'll want to watch in the next week.

...6. My long time beef with the Dish guide (not specific to Hopper): show the full title of the programs.  They have this bad habit of cutting the end of the title because it exceeds some character count threshold.

2) Select "show skipped" on the daily schedule. The recordings that will be saved will show will show skipped for PTAT when highlighted.

6) When you highlight a title in the guide, the full title scrolls across the space. If there is more missing, blame the guide info provider.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...