Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

THR-22 Tivo - How to get an external HD working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThatScott

ThatScott

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

I bought a Western Digital 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander, powered down my THR-22, connected the drive, powered up the drive, waited a little bit, powered up the receiver and the receiver did not recognize the drive at all.

How I got it to work:

Hook the WD Drive up to a Mac using USB.

Launch Disk Utility and select the WD HD on the left. Don't select a partition (indented). Select the actual disk itself.

Under the Partition Layout drop-down menu, select 1 Partition.

Below the box where it lists "UNTITLED 1" click the Options button.

Select GUID Partition Table and click OK.

In the Partition Information section, leave the Name alone but change the Format drop-down menu to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Click Apply and wait for Disk Utility to do it's little dance. Once it's done, close Disk Utility then drag the drive from the desktop to the trash/eject icon and disconnect it from the Mac.

Power down the receiver, connect the (powered down) hard drive to the receiver using eSata (of course), power up the hard drive. This unit had a power button on the back that I had to press to power up the drive. Just make sure the drive's power light is on BEFORE powering up the receiver, otherwise the receiver won't recognize the drive.

Once you've had the drive powered up for 15-30 seconds or so and it's nice and spun up, power up the receiver and you should (fairly shortly) see a message that the drive is being formatted.

Once that process is complete, you have to repeat guided setup because external drives on the THR-22 work the same as the DirecTV HR series, that is it's either the internal drive OR the external drive. They do not, sadly, work in concert to make a big ole happy drive.

Good luck and happy recording!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

It's too bad that there isn't a utility built in to the TiVo to move your recorded programs on the internal drive to the external drive.
It would be nice to be able to migrate the programs that you want to keep to the larger drive.
The only way to view the internal drive recordings it to power down the external drive, and that is such a hassle.
Too bad that the programers at TiVo didn't include a utility to migrate the recordings to the external drive.
Wonder if the THR22 hardware would even support doing this if TiVo could add a utility to the operating software.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 April 2012 - 12:20 AM

THR22 is HR22 model what has all HW parts to support both SATA drives.

BTW, you don't need a specific Mac OS, you don't need specific Mac Disk Utility - any program what would cleanup first sector [MBR] on the drive will be sufficient.
If you have nothing but Mac, well... see post#1. :)

#4 OFFLINE   cyborlink

cyborlink

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

I'm having same issue that the THR-22 is not recognizing the Drive. I don't have a Mac, but have a PC running Windows 7. Does anyone know what the steps are for changing the MBR portion of the drive using a PC?

So far I've tried two different drives, different drive hosuing and different esata cables, but can't get the THR-22 to recognize the drive. The THR-22 firmware version is 018A.

Thanks very much for any help that can offered -

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Just delete all partitions what Win Drive manager does show.

#6 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

I bought a Western Digital 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander, powered down my THR-22, connected the drive, powered up the drive, waited a little bit, powered up the receiver and the receiver did not recognize the drive at all.

How I got it to work:

Hook the WD Drive up to a Mac using USB.

Launch Disk Utility and select the WD HD on the left. Don't select a partition (indented). Select the actual disk itself.

Under the Partition Layout drop-down menu, select 1 Partition.

Below the box where it lists "UNTITLED 1" click the Options button.

Select GUID Partition Table and click OK.

In the Partition Information section, leave the Name alone but change the Format drop-down menu to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Click Apply and wait for Disk Utility to do it's little dance. Once it's done, close Disk Utility then drag the drive from the desktop to the trash/eject icon and disconnect it from the Mac.

Power down the receiver, connect the (powered down) hard drive to the receiver using eSata (of course), power up the hard drive. This unit had a power button on the back that I had to press to power up the drive. Just make sure the drive's power light is on BEFORE powering up the receiver, otherwise the receiver won't recognize the drive.

Once you've had the drive powered up for 15-30 seconds or so and it's nice and spun up, power up the receiver and you should (fairly shortly) see a message that the drive is being formatted.

Once that process is complete, you have to repeat guided setup because external drives on the THR-22 work the same as the DirecTV HR series, that is it's either the internal drive OR the external drive. They do not, sadly, work in concert to make a big ole happy drive.

Good luck and happy recording!

I purchased the same drive and I am curious how much extra recording space did it add.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

spam firewall