Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR23 Freezing Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Former Directv, to Dish for 2 years, now back to Directv. (sports, sports, sports). Day two. We have the HR23-700 DVR. The DVR response to remote commands is painfully slow, much slower than the Dish VIP-922 we had. I read the forums a bit...seems slowness is a common complaint. Ok, I can live with this.

However, every time a program is paused long enough for the screen saver to come on the DVR becomes unresponsive to remote commands. I have to use the iPad remote to unpause the program, then, and only then, will the remote work again. This is very frustrating.

Suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,102 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Probably an IR interference problem from the backlight on your LCD TV, not an unusual problem with DirecTV and other set top boxes. The clue is that the problem is worse when the screen saver is on - a black screen causes the backlight sensor to go to its highest level, where the backlight power supply emits most IR.
Solutions - turn the backlight sensor control to minimum
or, put some blue painters tape over the IR sensor
or, switch your receiver and remote to RF operation, if you have an RF-capable remote (it will have an FCC sticker on the back)> If you don't, you can get one fvrom DirecTV or from online suppliers like solid signal.

#3 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. I tried changing the back light setting, clearing the ram, etc. Some improvement but still too much interference.

My short term solution? I called the install company and they are going to swap out the remote with an RF capable remote.

Long term? New Harmony RF remote. (which will make my wife very happy) :) I use a Harmony One now.

Again, that you for your help.

Bruce

Probably an IR interference problem from the backlight on your LCD TV, not an unusual problem with DirecTV and other set top boxes. The clue is that the problem is worse when the screen saver is on - a black screen causes the backlight sensor to go to its highest level, where the backlight power supply emits most IR.
Solutions - turn the backlight sensor control to minimum
or, put some blue painters tape over the IR sensor
or, switch your receiver and remote to RF operation, if you have an RF-capable remote (it will have an FCC sticker on the back)> If you don't, you can get one fvrom DirecTV or from online suppliers like solid signal.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...