Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SCANDAL on ABC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

Anybody watch the first episode?

I watched it this morning and would probably give it a B- or C+. It reminded me of a dumbed-down version of Damages (the Glenn Close series.)

The cast is mostly good though Katie Lowes as the new team member Quinn is either mis-cast or poorly written. She's supposed to represent the audience, being thrown into this hyper, animalistic world of politics and the law, but she's a bit whiney and unsympathetic. Tony Goldwyn also is a bit too predictable, playing his usual sleazy character.

The show has an overt political point a view that may turn off some viewers. Shows and characters can express these viewpoints, and since this show is set the world of Washington D.C., that's to be expected. But a show can benefit from balance and nuance and give the various sides a chance to express themselves. This first episode had none of that, and through the words of one character stated quite clearly where it stood.

From phrelin's ratings post, it looks like this show won't make it past it's initial order of 6 episodes.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

I watched, but didn't bother to analize it. I liked the premise, but don't know if it will keep my attention the whole season. First impressions, however, were good.

I never watched Damages.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

I liked the fast moving intensity of the show, a style pioneered in "West Wing." Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope is solid and they've written a strong backstory.

In terms of the shows ability to attract viewers, they will get a break next Thursday because CBS is running reruns and not even a rerun of "The Mentalist." So it's only new episode competition is NBC's "Awake." If "Scandal's" ratings decline then, the show is in danger.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

I recorded the show, planning to watch it sometime today....

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,964 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

I really enjoyed it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Normally, I'll give a new show at least one viewing but this one didn't appeal to me at all....especially the star with her scowl in all the previews/promos.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#7 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

Watched the show, not 2 bad, and she did smile a few times...LOL.

Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it.

Confucius

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:58 PM

Just watched the second episode and we're liking the show.

But against a rerun of "The Mentalist" and the ratings dud "Awake" the show got the same ratings it did in its premier week. Normally that would be good, but the premier ratings weren't great.

I hate seeing new shows at 10:00 on broadcast networks introduced in April or later. I know the network is looking for a big ratings winner.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:54 AM

Yeah, I enjoyed the second episode as well. The older lady client was fun. But I wonder if the rather frenetic pace of the show is turning off the audience.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...