Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Martin Logan Opinions

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

I’m gonna try to go this weekend and audition some speakers! :) I’m looking at these http://www.bestbuy.c...customerreviews

Will my Denon 3311ci be enough to get good performance out of them?

Truthfully, your Denon is good enough to get good performance out of what you already have unless you just don't like the sound of your current speakers...did you recently put those in or have you had them a number of years and just decide you don't like them anymore?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

With all of my talk about the advantages of electrostats, let me mention the disadvantages:

1) Limited volume. The Martin Logans might not play loud enough for you, Brandon It's hard to move a lot of air with them, especially with a small version like you are considering.

2) Limited bass. That's why the separate woofer but considering the trick is in the blending of its sound with the elctrostatic panel, that's where Martin Logan will spend their money and engineering, not on a slamming bottom end.

3) Size. The bigger the panel, the louder they will play.

4) Reliability. I'm sure with their years of experience Martin Logan panels are very reliable but it is a more complicated design than a dynamic driver. The danger comes when they arc and a spark jumps from one of the screens to the panel. That's never good and as it is a short, can be death for a panel.

5) Cats' claws and direct sunlight. Neither is a good idea to expose an electrostat to and yet somehow, they are attracted to both.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#23 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

First and foremost I want to thank you all again for such great advice.

I just wanted to give an update. I auditioned the Martin Logans and I was still pretty impressed by their clarity. They are very directional and I find they didn’t disperse the sound quite as well as I was hoping but to me the clarity makes up for that and in my opinion isn’t a deal breaker.

I tend to be a pretty impulsive guy but I decided not to just buy them then and there but to shop around and see what other speakers I could audition. I decided to go to a couple of other places in N.O. and check out some other brands that I’ve never had the opportunity to listen to. I remember Carl mentioning Magnepan which I had never heard of before and I knew they had a nearby HiFi shop that carried that brand.

Boy am I happy I suppressed my impulsiveness that day! After hearing the Magnepans I was in aw! Music sounded as if I were listening to it live. It was just incredible! So I decided to go home and do some research before I let my impulsiveness get the best of me.

After doing a lot of research I took a shot on a pair of Magnepan MG12s that I found online line for a great price. When they delivered them I immediately connected them to my Denon. I was disappointed,at about 70-75 vol.(I have my volume set to absolute) which is the volume I usually listen to music to I barely could make out any detail and it just had no oomph! So I cranked it up to about 85-90 and they started to sound a lot better. After listening to 4 or 5 songs my Denon AVR shut off and went in to protect mode. I knew I had to get an external amp because my Denon just couldn’t handle it.

So I decided to check out some local pawn shops for an amp and I found an Adcom 545. He was asking $250 for it but I got him to go down to $180 and he gave me a 3 day warranty to try it out at home and if I didn’t like it I could return it for a full refund so I bought it.

I got home,wired it all up and WOW! I was just hoping to be able to listen to more than 5 songs without my AVR shutting off,but I didn’t expect it to make that huge of a difference! It’s night and day to me. Now they sound freaking amazing! I listened to some Pink Floyd,Eric Clapton,ELO,Beatles,Metallica,Eagles,Peter Frampton and a bunch more and I was just blown away by the clarity. I heard things in songs I listened to 1,000 times I never heard before. A lot of people say that Magnepans don’t rock but I played everything from heavy metal to classical and the Magnepans sounded incredible. Now for dance music,techno,etc. that has a lot of DEEP bass you will need a subwoofer but I was really surprised at how great the bass sounded especially with the dedicated amp now powering them.

I’m currently saving to get a bigger amp,Magnepan center and surrounds,and a couple of fast subs. I highly recommend anyone that is looking for incredibly detailed speakers to check out the Magnepans! Just a warning though,make sure you have a good high current amp to push these things because they are torture on a AVR and you won’t get good sound out of them at all. Another thing to remember is that these speakers will play every detail even the bad details,so make sure you have a good source for playing your music or movies to be able to truly enjoy and appreciate the sound.

And one of the best things about the Magnepans are that they are not insanely expensive. To me they are by far the best price vs. performance audiophile speakers you can buy.

spam firewall