Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem/bug Unable to play DVR Events from non-subscribed channels

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

Since this appears to have been missed... I'll ask again...

For those having this problem. When is the last time you actually played one of these events on your non-Hopper system?

I played several of mine just before switching and they played normally. I also transferred a few to the EHD in the switch and several of those will no longer play. Prior to switching I never had any recording on an EHD that wouldn't play. Ever. And I had 3 722s, all connected with EHDs. On multiple hoppers I have the same issue now, so it's not an issue with a single hopper or a single EHD. Hope that helps.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Ijon_Tichy

Ijon_Tichy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

I played a few Voom recordings days before switching that now no longer work.

#43 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

That's helpful. I hope you guys are including that info when you talk to Dish about the problems.

Like I said, I had some recordings that I didn't play for a long time that were corrupt and I never knew it... they were movies I had watched, but not after archiving... so I didn't know they had been corrupt for more than a year.

Without a Hopper, I can't test this myself... so I can only guess. Corrupt recordings were one way that made sense for some customers having this problem but not all... and I figured that would be helpful info for Dish to know.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#44 OFFLINE   GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Just to add my 2 cents.

I have one recording that I made off of Voom on my 622. I tested it before my Hopper install to make sure that it still worked. It did. However, I did not watch the entire movie.

After seeing this thread, I tried to bring it up on my Hopper. As far as the menus go, it looks normal, including the option to "resume" playback. When I pressed resume, I got an error message 00.

I am not going to try to move it to the Hopper, but I am keeping it in hopes that they will fix this issue.

BTW, in a different thread I posted about my problem with my EHD not being found after each morning. P Smith suggested that I turn off the spin down on the EHD, but the drive is so old that the manufacturer does not provide software to do that. Since I had 2 Vip 622s, I had 2 EHDs. So I hooked up a hub and the second EHD. Now both EHDs show up without have to be rebooted. Weird. :-)
Greg ... in the heart of the whine country

#45 OFFLINE   PDSchweitzer

PDSchweitzer

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I too have the same issue. I called Dish Tech Support over a week ago and was promised a call back within 2 days from the esclated tech support team - still nothing.

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,492 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

800 hours of unwatched content? Why? Do you back this up on redundant drives in case of a drive failure? Why not archive content you want to store semi-permanently or permanently in a format that is not just specific to your sat provider and can be played back through any media player? If you do change providers or Dish decides not to make EHD recorded content compatible with a system you are out and the content is gone anyway?

Have I been missing something WRT EHD and long term archiving of DVR content? Is this a right covered under fair use that Dish must protect for their subscribers?

Of course this is just me grumbling. I know Dish can't protect me from the DRM wars.

We've watched probably about half of the movies (maybe 600 hours of the content) and they get repeated from time to time on some channel and many of them are available to stream for free because we are Amazon Prime members.

The remaining 200 hours are shows I'm going to watch ...someday... right after I get caught up on the shows we really preferred to watch ...if getting caught up is possible... which it probably isn't.

You have to understand. If I didn't have the content I wouldn't care. But I have it. Uh..., buy some DVD/BD's to archive it? Well, I wouldn't go that far as it would be expensive.

I have a wall of "valuable" VHS tapes of movies recorded off of an SD receiver back when which should be thrown out. They now have TV shows about people like me - a hoarder. :sure:

But I'd prefer Dish fix this problem before I switch to a Hopper or whatever comes after it.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#47 OFFLINE   kimball111

kimball111

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

I discovered the nasty surprise about the Hopper not letting me view recordings from channels I no longer have. This applies to every recording from every channel I no longer have and persists to the present.

Playing a recording on my external drive also yields the 00 error most of the time. Selecting the recording a second time does enable me to watch it. This does not seem to happen to very recent recordings. I wonder if this happens every time they push out a new upgrade or some other periodic event.

#48 OFFLINE   Ijon_Tichy

Ijon_Tichy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

Update:

I chatted with Dish Support. Tech sent subscription signal to my Hopper. Problem still continues.

However, at the moment I am getting free EPIX (a weekend promotion I guess) and all (as far as I can tell) of my old EPIX recordings that did not work since switching to Hopper now work. Joy!

Now if only Dish can fix this bug for MGMHD, DISCHD, and Voom channels, I'll be happy.

#49 OFFLINE   Daniel

Daniel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

I don't think that they are going to fix it because it isn't a bug, it's a feature. IOW, it is working like they want it to. If you don't subscribe to a channel, you are not allowed to watch recordings from that channel.

#50 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

I don't think that they are going to fix it because it isn't a bug, it's a feature. IOW, it is working like they want it to. If you don't subscribe to a channel, you are not allowed to watch recordings from that channel.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. It's a bug, and Dish has admitted that it's a bug. I just hope it's fixed soon.

#51 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Seems like a bug, since it was never a problem on the "old" system, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new "feature" to promote staying subscribed to stuff. I'm sure the 3rd parties (MGM, Epix....) don't like seeing people subscribe for 3 months, record "all" their content, then drop it. I'm really surprised they haven't switched the old equipment/software to do this.... but I don't think they'd have many subs if they did that.

Has anyone (without an old HD) recorded a show from a free preview (recently on Hopper), then not been able to view it after the preview ended? If archived shows are no good if you drop the channel they were recorded from, I'm sticking with my 722.

#52 OFFLINE   Daniel

Daniel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

Saw a response to that effect from one of the DIRT members on the other forum, can't find it now. But he said that he had questioned the engineers and that was their response. I hope I'm am wrong (it has happened once or twice), but I'm afraid I'm not.

#53 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,306 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

based on very few reports, it seems S209 which is being released on a very limited basis now, has fixed this bug. The reports are from some that had the issue and now no longer do.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#54 OFFLINE   Daniel

Daniel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Found it on this site: http://www.dbstalk.c...592#post3006592

Information I received about this issue indicates that any recordings from channels that aren't part of the subscribe channels will not allow for playback on that recorded event. I don't believe this policy is slated to change. Thanks.

But there are report that it IS changed in S209: http://www.dbstalk.c...664#post3006664

Users with 209 are reporting otherwise. They claim their recordings will now play back regardless of current subscription.

But others are reporting otherwise:http://www.dbstalk.c...191#post3007191

My hopper was loaded with S209 last night, and I was still unable to play SOME recordings from currently unsubscribed channels this morning. (But, even with S207, I was still able to play SOME recordings.) Per the response from Ray with DIRT, I guess I should just consider myself lucky to have the ability to play SOME of my old recordings. Although I find it very odd that there would be one policy for Hopper, and another for the ViP series.

Edited by Daniel, 27 April 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Found it on this site: http://www.dbstalk.c...592#post3006592

Link would be enough

#56 OFFLINE   Ijon_Tichy

Ijon_Tichy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

I have 209 and my problem still persists with the exception (as I mentioned earlier) with recordings made on EPIX channels.

#57 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

I upgraded from 2 722Ks to 2H/2J last Thursday. So far so good on this issue... We'll see...

#58 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

It's a bug as I see it, or else everyone would have the problem and they don't. It's why I started the first thread on this, and I can tell you not everyone is experiencing it or, they may be having it as a hit and miss issue, meaning some currently not subscribed channels or not in freeview shows can be watched, some can not.

Edited by tampa8, 30 April 2012 - 02:01 PM.

#59 OFFLINE   Ijon_Tichy

Ijon_Tichy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

Another update:

During the free weekend Epix promotion I recorded several movies on Epix 1,2 and 3 (all HD). Since the expiration of promotion, I get error 014 (subscription channel not purchased) only on the recording I did on Epix3 HD. The others made on Epix1 and Epix2 still play fine.

BTW, I have s209.

And my problem with MGMHD, DISCHD, and Voom recordings still persists. :(

#60 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I worked with the techs again today and they still agree that's it's a bug. Let me also add that it's not 100% that I can't watch something I'm not subscribed to, nor is it 100% that I can watch everything I am subscribed to. I can watch at least 1 Cinemax recording even though I'm no longer subscribed to Cinemax, and there's an Encore movie I can't watch and I am subscribed to it. It's close to 100%, but not totally black and white on the subscription/non-subscription part. Also, I worked with them and did a test to see if I subscribed to something, then tried to watch a previous recording, and then removed the subscription from my account, if it would still block the channel. That is, the test was to see if watching a recording after being subscribed to a channel would then free up the block permanently, but it didn't. I had them try Showtime to see, but at least that part was consistent. With the subscription I could watch all Showtime recordings, and after it was removed I couldn’t again. BTW, I'm still on S2.07.

One thing that came up in the conversation was a check of what hardware I'm on with the Hopper. All of my hoppers are DNASP of 522 DshN06 (that's shown below the SW version). I'm wondering if all of this could be related to hoppers with the same DNASP. If so, that might explain why some of us have the problem and others don't. Does anyone have a different DNASP that’s having the problem?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...