Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Happy new Dish customer.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Al Fischer

Al Fischer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Several months ago I came to the realization that after watching D* in SD for 18 years with a very basic package on the ORIGINAL OWNED SONY rcvr that I wasn't getting much enjoyment for my money. Groused about it for a while and started to investigate. Daughter has E*. Happy. Son has D*. Happy. Both had been with cable. Disgusted!

Email to D* got a ridiculous price on upgarding. Looked at all the offers I was getting 2-3timew a week in the mail. One offer was from a LOCAL company that does Home Theater installs. They were dealer for both D* and E*. So I stoped at their "brick and mortar" store and was treated like a "REAL" customer by a "REAL" person. In ENGLISH.

Discover this forum and spent hours reading. Learned a lot. Thanks!

Went back to our LOCAL DEALER and signed up for E* with a 722k and a 211K and a Tailgater. 250 channels, free premium movies for 90 days and free install.

Asked when they could install. Answer was How about tomorrow, or would you prefer Saturday? I opted for the "tomorrow" and they made an appointment for noon with maybe a bit earlier.

Installer pulled up about 11AM asked what I would like and proceded to install LIKE I WANTED. Set everything uo, explained basic use and completed his paperwork. Left at 1:10PM. WOW. Professional, courteous and efficient.

Called D* to cancel. Listened politely for a long discussion about not cancelling and staying with them. NOW I am offered everything free and free install. Explained "TOO LATE" you had that opportunity several weeks ago. Instead of losing a paying customer of 18 years, you could have invested in KEEPING me for another 18. Just cancel. Then they tell me I have to return the equipment. I said NO I OWN IT. Oh. Well you have to return the card. OK. How would you like it returned. They sent me an envelope. What a waste of their money! Another case of non-productive business practice. Oh well...

Now, having spent a week learning the ropes of a DVR (that has it's own mind) TIMERS that seem to be unreliable (or non-understandable) and the use of a the EHD for the 211k (which it seems E* is restricting), I am quite happy (about 95%). The transfer of EHD from the 722 to the 211k is my MAJOR gripe. I very strongly feel that it should be possible so long as both receivers are on the same account. Such restriction (for any reason) will cause some folks to resort to illegal means. But that's another subject.

I just wanted to post a VERY positive story to offset some of the negative ones I have read here. Thanks for all the guidance you folks have given me.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Your story sounds very similar to the ones my customers could tell. I do installs for a local retailer. After I have completed the install they are amazed at how well it went compared to before with Dish or Directs installers. I am not saying they are bad guys or gals but having worked in house for both satellite providers I can tell you that the retail guy has a bit more latitude about the installs and how to please a customer. I have several people that call me from installs years ago for some custom work they want done.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

When the EHD was introduced, it was advertised that the dvr and non-dvr models will not interface with each other due to what the software enabling the 211 has to do. You should have been told about this ahead of time, but there is enough information on Dish's site and sites like this one that they can't. I feel your pain, but research when dealing with this type of technology is always useful.

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

It's because the two receivers are different, where the 612 and 722 for instance are mostly the same. The 211 reads the EHD in a different way because it's not a DVR.

To be fair, I have read your story in reverse too. Current Dish customers not getting anything when Direct will give them a good deal as a new customer.

I have seen a noticeable difference, for the better, in posts about Dish installs. Both in how quickly they will come, usually at your convenience, and mostly quality work. Take away the new hopper installs for now and really Dish has improved in this area. I personally could not be happier with my last two visits by a tech to upgrade equipment/dishes. Having the DIRT team is a major plus too.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,030 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

The transfer of EHD from the 722 to the 211k is my MAJOR gripe. I very strongly feel that it should be possible so long as both receivers are on the same account. Such restriction (for any reason) will cause some folks to resort to illegal means. But that's another subject.

Well... we wouldn't discuss it anyway, but there is no illegal way to make those recordings play elsewhere so it doesn't matter.

That said, I agree Dish should be able to make those work. The "real" difference between the two is that a 722 is a DVR so stuff like the 9-day EPG and other maintenance stuff are kept on the internal drive, so the external drive is just archived movies.

The 211, however, is not a DVR... so its external drive is an archive + all the stuff that would normally be in the internal drive.

To my thinking, though, Dish should have been able to structure the files on the drive such that all the archived movies were stored the same way and accessible by any receiver on your account. I do not know why they didn't do this, but it doesn't look like they are going to change it.

More likely with the new Hopper/Joey setup, they will hope to phase out their other models over time.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

spam firewall