Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

E! HD

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

I don't appreciate that term. Just because you don't watch a channel doesn't mean it's "bottom of the barrel". I'm so sick of the "my channel is better than yours" statements on here. I don't care what Nielsen says either, that's just a very small percentage of American viewers. Why can't everyone have the channels they want?

I don't think the bottom of the barrel comment was meant to be denigrating, just accurate. There aren't any channels left in sd that have a broad based appeal, regardless of who wants them or what they are. I'd like to see DIY and H2, but in a survey they wouldn't be high on the overall list of hd channels. Not ones that aren't up yet, all hd channels. The same would be true for any that aren't in hd yet. That would put them at the bottom of the barrel! And why can't you have the channels you want? There are too many to expect any one provider to have them all. There are bandwidth limitations you know.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

I don't think the bottom of the barrel comment was meant to be denigrating, just accurate. There aren't any channels left in sd that have a broad based appeal, regardless of who wants them or what they are. I'd like to see DIY and H2, but in a survey they wouldn't be high on the overall list of hd channels. Not ones that aren't up yet, all hd channels. The same would be true for any that aren't in hd yet. That would put them at the bottom of the barrel! And why can't you have the channels you want? There are too many to expect any one provider to have them all. There are bandwidth limitations you know.

It doesn't matter what channels won a popularity contest on here. It's been said here a million times, DBStalk members are a very small portion of all D* customers. Plus there's plenty of room for more HD. They just started finding space for a 6th HD channel on each transponder recently (TruTV HD and E! HD are 2 of them), and apparently it doesn't affect PQ at all.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#243 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

It doesn't matter what channels won a popularity contest on here. It's been said here a million times, DBStalk members are a very small portion of all D* customers. Plus there's plenty of room for more HD. They just started finding space for a 6th HD channel on each transponder recently (TruTV HD and E! HD are 2 of them), and apparently it doesn't affect PQ at all.

You just proved my point on the popularity of certain channels. As to the bandwidth, there may be more than there was not too long ago because of being able to fit more on each transponder, but the resources are still limited. It's going to be a while before D14 is launched.

#244 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Exactly. Bottom of the barrell in terms of what people watch. Not disparaging, they are just niche channels. If they were critical channels, DTV would lose customers for not having them and other providers would gain customers for having them. Yet, DTV continues to add customers, DISH and cable continues to LOSE customers despite having them.

#245 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

:confused::confused::confused:

Didn't several people here say that there were multiple surveys done and not just at DBS Talk? Secondly, a survey or poll is used to extrapolate larger findings. You don't need many people to make it statistically valid.

Finally, adding HD channels to transponders is not the simple push of a button, at least not to do it right. Very expensive and massive labor undertaking. You typically have to rip out all the old stuff and put in the new stuff to gain just that one channel. Months of work and plenty of expense. When we're talking bottom of the barrell channels, a decision has to be made whether it is worth spending millions and millions of dollars to add some HD channels that very people are watching. Those are the realities of business.

More than likely they are adding HD capacity to add a few of the remaining HD channels that are coming up like the Pac 12 Network plus the handful of channels that other providers have (Lifetime Network, DIY, and who knows what).

#246 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

:confused::confused::confused:

Didn't several people here say that there were multiple surveys done and not just at DBS Talk? Secondly, a survey or poll is used to extrapolate larger findings. You don't need many people to make it statistically valid.

Just to expand here for others ... DirecTV and other big companies who do surveys (or hire firms to do them) typically know exactly what they're doing. There's a very intricate science to surveys and polls. They know how to get cross sections of subscribers to know what's popular.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#247 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

With all the people who think BBCA is this greatest channel ever, how can you call it bottom of the barrel?

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#248 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,822 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

When we're talking bottom of the barrell channels, a decision has to be made whether it is worth spending millions and millions of dollars to add some HD channels that very people are watching. Those are the realities of business.

You also have to take into account that some channels... while not popular in the grand scheme of things, do have financial benefits in that they appeal to certain demographics.

I've gone on record to state that I only know a SINGLE person who watches programming on E! and they're on another side of the country... yet every single person I know will watch programming on DIY for instance.

~Alan

#249 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

With all the people who think BBCA is this greatest channel ever, how can you call it bottom of the barrel?

Because it's ratings are extremely low. Only one show makes a blip on the ratings radar...Dr. Who.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#250 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

While BBCA is one of my most wanted channels (for one, I'm a sci-fi fan... and if you like sci-fi, BBCA is on your list), and object to it being call bottom of the barrel, I understand his point.

My personal opinions of E! aside, it's clear from the ratings that there are more individuals out there who watch it than they do BBCA. Why that is is one of the great mysteries of life, but it doesn't change the fact.

~Alan

#251 OFFLINE   tardisdude

tardisdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Because it's ratings are extremely low. Only one show makes a blip on the ratings radar...Dr. Who.

Actually BBC America has the original Top Gear. Top Gear is one of the most watched TV programs around the World. The original Top Gear airs in Dozens and Dozens of countries and is within the top 10 shows in most of those countries.

I do also like Dr. Who but its ratings pale in comparison to Top Gear.

John

#252 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,985 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

Actually BBC America has the original Top Gear. Top Gear is one of the most watched TV programs around the World. The original Top Gear airs in Dozens and Dozens of countries and is within the top 10 shows in most of those countries.

I do also like Dr. Who but its ratings pale in comparison to Top Gear.

John

That's great, but Top Gear here on BBCA still doesn't get ratings. Dr. Who was their highest rated show ever. http://tvbythenumber...ast-ever/90505/

#253 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,822 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

It's true... I do believe that E! is partially responsible for the coming apocalypse (;))... ditto for MTV. However, shocking though it might be, I actually liked a couple of programs on MTV this past year, so it's always possible something like that could happen down the line for E!.

E! Announces Bold And Broad-Based Scripted Series Development Slate

2013 might just be the year... :)

~Alan

#254 OFFLINE   Tele-TV

Tele-TV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

^^

Hey Alan. Thanks for the link.

Hey guys I'm sorry I wished for E! HD. There is nothing I watch besides The Soup, for now. Well I started taping the new season of the Kardashians for background noise win I'm playing on the PC.

The show is so fake. Every second in the show is drama, they over do it, you know its fake. I admit when the show first started it liked it but now...

And I apologize for wishing for We TV HD WE TV HD in my avatar profile area. Right now I TRULY would NOT mind Nat Geo WILD HD First, then G4 HD.

#255 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:47 PM

If they did with G4, it would require the HD Extras pack.

#256 OFFLINE   Tele-TV

Tele-TV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

^^

Hey dpeters11. If they had to put G4 HD in the HD extra pack, then it would be okay.

#257 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,127 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

But ratings wise, more watch E! than BBCA. Its not wasted space even if it doesn't interest some of us.

Do you still have SHORTS?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...