Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

E! HD

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

Good point! We who want TCM, BBCA, DIY, etc., do not necessarily fit the profile of the typical Directv customer. As Satelliteracer has pointed out there is more coming. However, until D14 shows up bandwidth will continue to be somewhat scarce and Directv needs to be somewhat selective in what they add, irrespective of any negotiation difficulties with the individual channels.

But starting with truTV HD and now the upcoming E! HD, if DIRECTV is going to make this their new standard of loading six HD channels per Ka-band transponder instead of 5, won't that make for a fair amount of new available channel space for national HD on D10, 11, and 12 even before D14 is launched?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Does it make a difference on the type of content that a HD channel displays on wheter or not it is a good candidiate to load a transponder with 6HD channels instead of 5? For example, E! HD might not be as intensive and take up less bandwith as a channel with lots of motion like ESPN. Or do they use the same bandwith regarless?

#23 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

But starting with truTV HD and now the upcoming E! HD, if DIRECTV is going to make this their new standard of loading six HD channels per Ka-band transponder instead of 5, won't that make for a fair amount of new available channel space for national HD on D10, 11, and 12 even before D14 is launched?

hope so but also hope pq doesn't erode either.

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,663 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

You've also got to look at what else is on the transponder, like where TruTV is. We're not exactly talking about one like TPN11 on D10 or something.

#25 OFFLINE   detroit_fan

detroit_fan

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

oh boy, more trashy celebrity gossip now in HD, thanks D*!

#26 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

And I continue to wait for BBC HD...

#27 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

I do not know if there is any truth to this, but I read elsewhere, that the reason that DirecTV is adding E! HD is that NBCUniversal has required them to add it in order to be able to broadcast all of their Olympic coverage. Perhaps some of you might know if there is any validity to that.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#28 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Why does DTV always pick channels that aren't that popular? E, Tru TV, what about TCM, TV Land, DIY, etc? I would even take QVC over Tru TV....

+1
Home Theater
HR24-200
65 in. Panasonic Plasma VT50
Yamaha RX-A810
Panasonic Blu-ray DMPBDT220

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#29 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Why does DTV always pick channels that aren't that popular? E, Tru TV, what about TCM, TV Land, DIY, etc? I would even take QVC over Tru TV....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

any questions?

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

They add channels as deals are reached. At times, you have a parent company that owns multiple channels and the channels DirecTV doesn't carry won't get added (or considered) until that retrans deal is up for renegotiation.

It's about far more than potential revenue or popularity. Folks tend to dramatically oversimplify the process.

#31 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

Companies modify contracts all the time without waiting for the existing contract to end.

#32 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

+1

Which channels did they skip over and not launch that are so much more popular? Certainly not BBCA. Most certainly not TCM or Lifetime Movie Network.

Imagine when I woke up this morning to see DTV is adding another HD channel and the all the griping, bitching, complaining from those here about which channel they were launching. I was nearly knocked over by a feather from the shock.

All of the popular channels are already launched. We're into the weeds, the tier 2 and tier 3 channels right now. DTV has always known this and with limited bandwidth, you don't go crazy launching HD for stuff very few care about or watch.

E! was probably the correct next step based on ratings and subscribers (what base packages are penetrated). BBCA is much further down that list.

#33 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Companies modify contracts all the time without waiting for the existing contract to end.

Not if they aren't allowed to. That would be a breach of contract.

#34 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Content and service providers? Not so much.
DTV = Digital Television

#35 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Next Wednesday is not April 25. It's April 18.

I welcome all basic-cable channels in HD. (DirecTV has lots of catching up to do.)

And other providers have lots of catching up to do with DTV on HD Sports. That's why I have DTV, that's what I care about, not adding the dregs of channels in HD that a few others have but lack any of the sports I want.

#36 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

I believe you meant to use the word renegotiate in place of modify.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#37 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

I should have been more clear. I didn't mean for one side to unilaterally modify the contract (which would definitely void the contract). By "modify the contract" I meant when both companies agree to renegotiate a single item or portion of the contract without renegotiating the entire contract, because it would benefit both parties. It happens all the time in the business world.

#38 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:58 PM

I should have been more clear. I didn't mean for one side to unilaterally modify the contract (which would definitely void the contract). By "modify the contract" I meant when both companies agree to renegotiate a single item or portion of the contract without renegotiating the entire contract, because it would benefit both parties. It happens all the time in the business world.

In some portions of the business world, yes.
DTV = Digital Television

#39 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

... HD Sports. That's why I have DTV, that's what I care about

And DirecTv loves you and your wallet. Since you already have just about every sports channel known to man, and some that must have been put on the air just to get $$$ from DirecTv, perhaps it is time for some of those non-sports channel add ons. E! is a start. Wouldnt have been my first, of even 8th choice, but its a start.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#40 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

I think its funny how people are mad they added a new channel in HD but not the one they watch. Did it ever cross your mind that you didnt watch that channel because it was in SD??

You would be surprised at how many people would watch DIY, military channel, G4 if they were in HD
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

spam firewall