Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

E! HD

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:27 PM

I just want my DVRs back to a reasonable performance level so it won't take 1 minute to change to ALL of the new HD channels.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

I think its funny how people are mad they added a new channel in HD but not the one they watch. Did it ever cross your mind that you didnt watch that channel because it was in SD??

You would be surprised at how many people would watch DIY, military channel, G4 if they were in HD

Some would hope just to have G4 in SD.

#43 OFFLINE   MaxxFlash

MaxxFlash

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Well I for one am very happy with E! HD finally lighting up! Love me THE SOUP and CHELSEA LATELY; E News would be good too. Plus those damn Cardassians! :)

#44 OFFLINE   LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

Kind of alarmed that they're now starting to put 6 channels on each transponder. If more HD channels means decreased quality for all the existing ones, I'd rather they stop adding them until they get more capacity.

#45 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:30 PM

Kind of alarmed that they're now starting to put 6 channels on each transponder.

Given the statistical muxing, and compression used, you will never be able to tell the difference.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#46 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Kind of alarmed that they're now starting to put 6 channels on each transponder. If more HD channels means decreased quality for all the existing ones, I'd rather they stop adding them until they get more capacity.

Non issue. Newer technologies allows for this to be done without signal degradation. If this was a 4 or 5 years ago, you might be right to be concerned but not with the new stuff.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:32 PM

Non issue. Newer technologies allows for this to be done without signal degradation. If this was a 4 or 5 years ago, you might be right to be concerned but not with the new stuff.

No disrespect, but that's exactly the argument AT&T made a few years ago with regards to cramming HD channels down small VDSL pipes. Years have passed and AT&T is now regarded as one of the worst in terms of picture quality because there are limits to what you can do with MPEG-4 compression and be backwards compatible with all those set tops you've deployed into the field.

That said, I'm tired of horrible SD on channels I want to watch. I would rather watch U-verse's DIY HD than the garbage SD I get from DirecTV. HD-lite is fine with certain types of content. I don't watch sports at all and it's high time DirecTV give some attention to the rest of us.

#48 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:40 PM

No disrespect, but that's exactly the argument AT&T made a few years ago with regards to cramming HD channels down small VDSL pipes. Years have passed and AT&T is now regarded as one of the worst in terms of picture quality because there are limits to what you can do with MPEG-4 compression and be backwards compatible with all those set tops you've deployed into the field.

That said, I'm tired of horrible SD on channels I want to watch. I would rather watch U-verse's DIY HD than the garbage SD I get from DirecTV. HD-lite is fine with certain types of content. I don't watch sports at all and it's high time DirecTV give some attention to the rest of us.

At&t is not DirecTV. Satellite is not VDSL. A few years ago is not today...

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:44 PM

You are confusing mpeg2 (DirecTv SD content) with mpeg4 (DirecTv HD content). AT&T isnt using statistical multiplexers, they are using limit bandwidth IP channels, then just throwing whatever they think fits into it. Big difference.

HD-Lite is totally unrelated to this, as it is the practice of actually physically reducing the resolution of the original content (and what makes DirecTv SD look so bad). DirecTv is not doing HDLITE. They are, however, doing SD Lite.

Comcast, which I believe uses HITS (headend in the sky), has up to 9 HD channels on some of the transponders I have counted, and those channels looks just fine on my Xfinity box even after being decoded, reencoded in mpeg2 and sent through several amplifiers to my house.

I would imagine with the advances in CPU power, and memory speed in the last 4 and 5 years, as Satracer mentions, probably really improved the speed and amount of computations the statmux's are capable of handling. Add to that the fact that the original content on MOST fast moving mpeg4 is in 720p, which uses less bandwidth to begin with, and I stand by my opinion you would not be able to tell the difference between 5 or 6 HD channels per transponder.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

You are confusing mpeg2 (DirecTv SD content) with mpeg4 (DirecTv HD content). AT&T isnt using statistical multiplexers, they are using limit bandwidth IP channels, then just throwing whatever they think fits into it. Big difference.

HD-Lite is totally unrelated to this, as it is the practice of actually physically reducing the resolution of the original content (and what makes DirecTv SD look so bad). DirecTv is not doing HDLITE. They are, however, doing SD Lite.

Comcast, which I believe uses HITS (headend in the sky), has up to 9 HD channels on some of the transponders I have counted, and those channels looks just fine on my Xfinity box even after being decoded, reencoded in mpeg2 and sent through several amplifiers to my house.

I would imagine with the advances in CPU power, and memory speed in the last 4 and 5 years, as Satracer mentions, probably really improved the speed and amount of computations the statmux's are capable of handling. Add to that the fact that the original content on MOST fast moving mpeg4 is in 720p, which uses less bandwidth to begin with, and I stand by my opinion you would not be able to tell the difference between 5 or 6 HD channels per transponder.

That's good news. One of the reasons I left Uverse was the HD quality was noticeably inferior to what DTV offers. I'd hate to see DTV go down the same road they did with SD where it was initially good but eventually became downrezzed garbage.

#51 OFFLINE   Jeffro

Jeffro

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

Satelliteracer, is it official, are we getting E! in HD and when?

#52 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,136 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Whatever Directv wants to give in HD I will take it

JACK,

#53 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

I agree on degradation, lets not get like Dish and cram more into the same. One of the big things for me and being a Directv sub is the improvement in PQ. That being said, Ill take their word that new tech will allow a jump from 5-6 without any issues...

If they are now able to use 6, instead of 5, doesnt that mean we have a good bit more capacity than we thought we did 6 months ago?
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

#54 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

If they are now able to use 6, instead of 5, doesnt that mean we have a good bit more capacity than we thought we did 6 months ago?

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps they are now testing new encoders that will allow more compression while providing the same end user experience. If that is the case, they could have substantially more capacity than was thought they did.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#55 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

We've always said it's just a matter of time and $, with the new stuff being pricey.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#56 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Why does DTV always pick channels that aren't that popular? E, Tru TV, what about TCM, TV Land, DIY, etc? I would even take QVC over Tru TV....

"The Soup" is the only remaining show I still watch in SD. "E!" has been at the top of my list for a long time! Now I can be 100% free of SD!!! :)
HR24 - Samsung UN55D8000, HR22 - Panasonic PT-AE7000U, H24 - Samsung HL-S5668W, MRV, Slimline SWM5

#57 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

Well I for one am very happy with E! HD finally lighting up! Love me THE SOUP and CHELSEA LATELY; E News would be good too. Plus those damn Cardassians! :)

Coming up after "The Soup" -- an all new Khloe and Lamar: Deep Space Nine!!! Bruce Jenner makes a special guest appearance as Odo's brother!
HR24 - Samsung UN55D8000, HR22 - Panasonic PT-AE7000U, H24 - Samsung HL-S5668W, MRV, Slimline SWM5

#58 ONLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

So what does this change the "potential" open slot count to? Which Sats have the hardware to handle the change? sounds like lots of new questions to be asked.

#59 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

I haven't tuned to E! since Kinnear left Talk Soup. I guess it has been a very long time.

#60 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

So what does this change the "potential" open slot count to? Which Sats have the hardware to handle the change? sounds like lots of new questions to be asked.

Up to about 28 I believe for D10 and 11. They each have 15 transponders used for national channels I believe.

spam firewall