Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

E! HD

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

So what does this change the "potential" open slot count to? Which Sats have the hardware to handle the change? sounds like lots of new questions to be asked.

Potentially, 38 transponders. D10 14, D11 14, and D12 10 (6 are used for other purposes).

The key though is $, timing, and the state of D10.

New ground technology costs $, which will be weighed against the benefit.

Timing in that there's strong pressure to meet quarterly fiscal targets, and there have been mentions of recent belt tightening.

State of D10 in that there have been issues with D10 and bandwidth may be desired as backup.

Much goes into this.

And there's always the matter of contractual content agreements as well, that must stay within the quarterly financial targets.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

No disrespect, but that's exactly the argument AT&T made a few years ago with regards to cramming HD channels down small VDSL pipes. Years have passed and AT&T is now regarded as one of the worst in terms of picture quality because there are limits to what you can do with MPEG-4 compression and be backwards compatible with all those set tops you've deployed into the field.

Apples to oranges with what AT&T is doing
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#63 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Potentially, 38 transponders. D10 14, D11 14, and D12 10 (6 are used for other purposes).

The key though is $, timing, and the state of D10.

New ground technology costs $, which will be weighed against the benefit.

Timing in that there's strong pressure to meet quarterly fiscal targets, and there have been mentions of recent belt tightening.

State of D10 in that there have been issues with D10 and bandwidth may be desired as backup.

Much goes into this.

And there's always the matter of contractual content agreements as well, that must stay within the quarterly financial targets.

Thanks.

#64 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

Why does DTV always pick channels that aren't that popular? E, Tru TV, what about TCM, TV Land, DIY, etc? I would even take QVC over Tru TV....

"I don't watch it" does not equal "it is not popular" :D :D

E! is a very popular channel, especially among females. It's not my cup of tea, but it's a basic HD channel, and so far in 2012 we've only been getting Basic HD! (Which is what people want). It's been slim pickings, but it's HD!
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#65 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Where did the date of the 25th come from?

I welcome E HD with open arms. My wife will enjoy this one.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#66 OFFLINE   saucony

saucony

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

Satelliteracer, is it official, are we getting E! in HD and when?

It's official

#67 OFFLINE   TomK

TomK

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Going HD can only make E! more popular. I have never watched it before because it is currently SD (and the only SD channel I watch is TCM). I'll definitely skip the Kardashian attention shows but maybe there might be one show that will entertain me.

#68 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,997 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

It's official

Do you have a link to a post that says that?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#69 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Going HD can only make E! more popular. I have never watched it before because it is currently SD (and the only SD channel I watch is TCM). I'll definitely skip the Kardashian attention shows but maybe there might be one show that will entertain me.

The Soup is the only one I watch.

And I agree, if more of the SD channels were in HD they might get more eyes on them.

#70 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

I do not know if there is any truth to this, but I read elsewhere, that the reason that DirecTV is adding E! HD is that NBCUniversal has required them to add it in order to be able to broadcast all of their Olympic coverage. Perhaps some of you might know if there is any validity to that.

I believe so Ryan Seacrest announced he would be covering the Olympics for NBC and it sounded like it is the start of his career at NBC

#71 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

It will launch end of this week
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#72 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,813 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

It will launch end of this week

Fridays are the new Wednesday? :D

~Alan

#73 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Thanks SatRacer...now about that driveby post from someone that H2, Military History, TCM and TCM2 were in testing...

#74 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Thanks SatRacer...now about that driveby post from someone that H2, Military History, TCM and TCM2 were in testing...

That driveby person should provide some visual proof I would think.
DIRECTV employee

#75 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Well that settles that.

Good enough for me. :)

#76 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

I actually wasn't expecting an answer :)

#77 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,592 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:48 PM

Is his information true or false though? :confused:

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#78 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

Well that settles that.

Good enough for me. :)

It does? It could be yes and SR can't say. Or it is not true and he can't say.

Basically it just says he can't say.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#79 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

If that were the case, I don't think he'd respond to my post at all. But if there were test channels, I'd think they would show up in the maps.

#80 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

It does?

For me it does. Based on SR's earlier post confirming E!-HD coming this week and his subsequent response saying he'd like to see pictures and the lack of test channels on transponders monitored by Sixto and GCT and PSmith I see this as saying E! is coming this week but that's it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...