Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC Sports Network & NHL Blackout

s238

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:32 AM

Does anyone know if NBC Sports Network follows the same backwards blackout rules that NHL Center Ice follows?

I ask as I live in Cecil County Maryland, where my RSN is CSN Mid-Atlantic and I am not in an area covered by CSN Philadelphia (satellite or cable) but because the Philadelphia Flyers claim this county I have gotten blacked out of all Philadelphia Flyers games there are not exclusively national games . It is not possible to see any Flyers games here regardless of using Directv or any other satellite or cable provider (including Comcast) unless they are an exclusive national game.

Since the Flyers and Penguins local RSN networks will also be covering the first round of the NHL Playoffs I am expecting to be blacked out of these games, but still hoping for this not to be the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Does anyone know if NBC Sports Network follows the same backwards blackout rules that NHL Center Ice follows?

I ask as I live in Cecil County Maryland, where my RSN is CSN Mid-Atlantic and I am not in an area covered by CSN Philadelphia (satellite or cable) but because the Philadelphia Flyers claim this county I have gotten blacked out of all Philadelphia Flyers games there are not exclusively national games . It is not possible to see any Flyers games here regardless of using Directv or any other satellite or cable provider (including Comcast) unless they are an exclusive national game.

Since the Flyers and Penguins local RSN networks will also be covering the first round of the NHL Playoffs I am expecting to be blacked out of these games, but still hoping for this not to be the case.

I'm 99.9 sure normal blackout rules apply. So there will be no Flyers games for those in the Flyers territory, except for those games on the weekend on NBC.

#3 OFFLINE   Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm 99.9 sure normal blackout rules apply. So there will be no Flyers games for those in the Flyers territory, except for those games on the weekend on NBC.

Unfortunately the 'normal' blackout rules for NHL Network seem to differ from the blackout rules for NHL Center Ice and NBC Sports Network. We have the same problem here...we are part of the New York (Rangers/Islanders/Devils) market, but for some reason we are blacked out of Flyer games on NHL Network, while we are not blacked out for Center Ice and NBC.

When the Flyers play on NHL Network, we do not receive the game, and we can't receive it locally either. I think it's because we are in a 100 mile radius of Philly...or they claim our county...or both, I don't know.

To answer the OP, history tells us we will receive Flyer games on NBC Sports Network. Hopefully history holds up.

#4 OFFLINE   Jammasterd

Jammasterd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

so tired of this.

I thought Directv was going to fight Comcast.
Stay Thirsty my Friends!

#5 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

To answer the OP, history tells us we will receive Flyer games on NBC Sports Network. Hopefully history holds up.

That is what I am hoping, but not very optimistic. Even if Directv would offer CSN Philly (when Hell freezes over) since I am in Maryland I am outside of its territory so I fear I will always be in the black hole of Flyers games being blacked out.

While I hate the whole CSN/Directv mess, I at least see the logic. Those in the Philly Market have an option (albeit a bad option) to get CSN on Comcrap or Verizon. For me I am outside of this territory but yet still fall into Flyers claimed territory. Good way to attract fans Flyers... make it impossible to see any games you play.

#6 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

That is what I am hoping, but not very optimistic. Even if Directv would offer CSN Philly (when Hell freezes over) since I am in Maryland I am outside of its territory so I fear I will always be in the black hole of Flyers games being blacked out.

In theory, as long as you're within the boundaries of the team's territory, it shouldn't matter once the channel is actually available since everyone can subscribe to the channel at one tier or another, and as long as you can get the channel, the team's coverage should not be blacked out unless you're actually outside the team's territory (regardless of whether or not the same channel is available on local cable systems). You might have to subscribe to the sports pack to get the channel, but you wouldn't be blacked out.

That's the theory, anyway. As they say, theory and practice are the same in theory but different in practice. It will certainly be nice to test the theory one of these years.

#7 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

In theory, as long as you're within the boundaries of the team's territory, it shouldn't matter once the channel is actually available since everyone can subscribe to the channel at one tier or another, and as long as you can get the channel, the team's coverage should not be blacked out unless you're actually outside the team's territory (regardless of whether or not the same channel is available on local cable systems). You might have to subscribe to the sports pack to get the channel, but you wouldn't be blacked out.

That's the theory, anyway. As they say, theory and practice are the same in theory but different in practice. It will certainly be nice to test the theory one of these years.

The theory breaks down in one case, the Charlotte Bobcats, whose games are only shown on Fox Sports Carolinas within a 75-mile radius of Charlotte (the inner market). Both DirecTV and DISH black out the Bobcats outside of the radius, even if it's within the Bobcats' outer market.

I don't know of other scenarios like that, for instance in the western part of Phoenix that is on the edge of the Padres TV market. Can subscribers with the Sports Pack see Padres games on FS San Diego in the clear?

#8 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Guess I will know at 7:30p if I get to watch these games.

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

OK, we're 15 minutes into the game. Are the Philly fans able to watch the game or is it blacked out?

#10 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Blacked out here in Maryland

#11 OFFLINE   311Man

311Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

Game is blacked out in Philadelphia market. Makes no sense when NHL indicated all games were going national.

#12 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

Can't figure out why NBC Sports which is owned by Comcast would televise the game as well as Comcast SportsNet. No indication given that CSN would be televising the game.

#13 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

Game is blacked out in Philadelphia market. Makes no sense when NHL indicated all games were going national.

Not blacked out where I am. As to why there are blackouts, no one ever said blackouts would go away in the first round.

#14 OFFLINE   311Man

311Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

Not blacked out where I am.

Are you in Philly market?

#15 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Are you in Philly market?

Scranton/Wilkes-Barre DMA, but I'm in the Flyers and Penguins market.

#16 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Can't figure out why NBC Sports which is owned by Comcast would televise the game as well as Comcast SportsNet. No indication given that CSN would be televising the game.

2 completely different revenue and advertising streams.

Also, although I think Comcast is shortsighted not allowing D* to carry CSN Philly, they would be stupid to change their blackout policies for the playoffs after denying those games all season.
That is not, and never can be, a half pregnant situation.

#17 OFFLINE   Jammasterd

Jammasterd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

Flyers Blacked out for me! no game on NBC Sports network.
Stay Thirsty my Friends!

#18 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

i always found its odd, im in Erie, Pennsylvania but mine local team is Buffalo, and not Pittsburgh

#19 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:47 PM

i always found its odd, im in Erie, Pennsylvania but mine local team is Buffalo, and not Pittsburgh

You are closer to Buffalo.

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:52 PM

The teams areas aren't necessarily divided by state boundaries. Which city do you live closer too? probably Buffalo?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...