Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC Sports Network & NHL Blackout

s238

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

ya probably, but like tonight i got the Pittsburgh game on NBC Network and my RSN, it seem odd, we closer to Buffalo but, not by alot, and don't even let me get started on the baseball blackout rule for Erie lol

Edited by lacubs, 11 April 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#22 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

But distance isn't all that is used to determine viewing area. Someone call into Bettman's XM radio show a couple of weeks ago. They guy lived in the Albany NY area, yet he was in the Buffalo viewing area. He maintained that since he is only 150 miles to NYC and almost 300 to Buffalo, he should be in the NYC viewing area. Bettman explained that they also look at the number of households in the viewing area, so NY's area is more compressed than Buffalo's because of the higher population density in the NYC area.

#23 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

I was able to watch the Pens flyers game on the Eastern Shore of MD on NBC Sports (603)

There are ways around this small problem but we aren't allowed to discuss it here.

#24 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

I am near Lancaster, PA (in the Flyers market) and 2ndary by the Pens and the Roots Sports Pittsburgh and NBCSN feeds were both on last night on D*.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#25 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

The kicker for me is I am in the Baltimore DMA, not Philadelphia but still fall into this back hole. Very irritating that I spend $$ all year for NHLCI and all the HD stuff from Directv and have to resort to methods I cannot discuss here to watch the game.

#26 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,396 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:14 AM

Methods to watch:
1. Go to a sports bar
2. Secret methods
3. StubHub and drive to PGH

#27 OFFLINE   flyerrick

flyerrick

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

i guess we get blacked out tonite too in cecil county

#28 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

ok, i got a question, if my team is Buffalo then why can i still get Pittsburgh on NBCSPORTS and Pittsburgh RSN?

#29 OFFLINE   MonyMony

MonyMony

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Just goes to show that logic goes out the window with who gets blacked out and who does not .

#30 OFFLINE   Marty711

Marty711

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

ok, i got a question, if my team is Buffalo then why can i still get Pittsburgh on NBCSPORTS and Pittsburgh RSN?

The Sabres aren't the only local team in Erie. I used to live in Erie. The Pens and Sabres share the region. The Pens RSN and NBCSN aren't blacked out because you live in the Pens outer market territory. If you lived closer to Pitt (the Pens inner market), NBCSN would be blacked out and you'd have to watch on Root. Here in Cleveland, I have the same option - watch on Root or NBC. NHL Network has a much larger blackout radius. When the Pens are on NHLN, I have to watch the game on Root.

spam firewall