Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Two DVRs reboot almost daily

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

I have a very odd situation where two DVRs are rebooting periodically during the day and evening. I have only caught them rebooting in the act twice but the blue circle is something I turn off and then you know the drill, it comes on after a reboot.

Here is my situation and what I have tried to date...

HR21 and HR23 DVRs both with 0x59f software (problems seem to start since the update but can't point a finger at it with 100% certainty).

HR21 located in living room, on an APC UPS. Shares same power with an HR24 which is on a different software version and doesn't have a single problem.

The HR 23 is located in my bed room, on an APC UPS.

I'm using SWM.

Neither DVR reboots at the same time as the other one.

I tested the UPS power by unplugging them and letting them run powering the DVRs for approx 10 minutes without issue and plugged them back in.

I plugged one DVR directly into the wall, it rebooted during the day. I believe I have ruled out input power to the DVRs as a possible problem.

I originally had the HR21 connected via component cables and it was rebooting then so HDMI interface is ruled out for at least the HR21 but I suspect both DVRs HDMI handshaking is fine as they worked fine about 3 weeks before. Yes, I've been troubleshooting this for three weeks now.

I have cleared the program guide data, no help.

All connections of course have been verified.

I disconnected everything but the power cord and coax input, still reboots.

I do not think I have two failed DVRs or two failed UPS.

All satellite signal levels are 80 or above (mostly in the 95-100 area on a clear day) for all relevant transducers.

I have all the DVRs connected with a ethernet cable. Again, I did disconnect it in a previous test to ensure something there wasn't causing the problem.

As I mentioned before, I have an HR24 as well and it doesn't have a single problem.

What I haven't done:
1) Not performed a full blown reset to factory (delete all programs)
2) Erase NVRAM (found a procedure but don't know what it will do)
3) Replaced the Dish antenna
4) Replace the SWM splitter and power inserter (I could check the power inserter voltage and see if there was any ripple)
5) Beat it with a hammer (feel like it at times)

Right now I'm not sure where to go. I contacted DirecTv, they wrote it up, said they don't have a notice on anything like this problem, tried to sell me a package deal for repair (not opposed to paying for the repair). My only issues with getting a service rep out to my house is, what would they do to verify the problem is fixed? I doubt they will replace both DVRs, not that I really want that either, got a few things on there to watch. And I hate loosing almost an entire day waiting around for an appointment.

Last thing, I haven't found out anything about the 0x59f firmware. I see a few people stating they got it, nothing about what "changed". I still feel like it's the firmware.

Whatever the problem, I got to get rid of it.
Engineer by day, Rocket Scientist by night... Or do I got that backwards #$@! :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

The UPS all but rules out dirty power, but either or both could have a bad PS or a bad HDD. The UPS only protects the AC coming from the wall; it has no affect on the DC put out by the internal power supply.

You can check the PS visually (if you can get the lid off), and if you see bulging, leaking, or domed large filter capacitors (there are probably 2 large ones, half a dozen other smaller electrolytics) there's your smoking gun. This can be a natural aging failure of PS's, but even a new PS is vulnerable to a "brown up" or extended power surge, and that could explain why both presented with this issue at about the same time. Unlikely with UPS protection, however.

But before you go that far (and as tempting as #5 sounds) I would try the 2-4-6-8 trick (search this forum) which will force a new download of the OS. It almost sounds as if you got a bad download, since both started doing this at the same time and shortly thereafter. Maybe you had an "airplane fade" at a critical moment in the download.

2, 3, and 4 seem unlikely to be helpful. If no ripple, I can't see how any of these could contribute to the problem.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

@TomCat,
I eventually locate the instructions, well kind of.

I rebooted via the red button, entered 02468 on the remote once the blue screen popped up, and after seveal attempt got the software downloading screen. For anyone reading this, if your DVR hits' "Checking Receiver", try again.

Hopefully this will fix it, I'm downloading on both DVRs right now and will post if it works.

Yea, I doubt it's the internal power supplies, I think I'd have more issues and the fact that both DVRs started about the same time (as for how litle I pay attention to things).

Thanks,
Joe
Engineer by day, Rocket Scientist by night... Or do I got that backwards #$@! :)

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

Generally redownloading isn't going to fix a problem like that. I would try redoing your satellite setup. Very rarely, this becomes corrupt and can cause the DVR to think it has the wrong kind of dish. With the wrong information, it sometimes reboots because of the excessive number of errors.

It's a long shot but it's worth a try.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

The software download did not correct the problem.

I went ahead and reconfigured the antenna and the only thing I could possibly change was the single or dual tuners. I left it as dual tuners. It was configured as a Slimline-35(SWM). I tested the settings and received a failure for the 103 (13V) section, all the other 5 passed. I'm not certain this is a concern as I also tested my HR24 and the same thing occurred.

Looking at the signal levels, here is what I have and I believe them to be correct for my location but if something looks wrong please let me know.

101 All 97 to 100.
99© All 89 to 98.

99(s)
1-8: 96, 0, 90, 0, 94, 67, N/A, N/A
9-16: N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, 97, 41
17-24: 30, 40, 0, 43, 85, 84, 95, 95

103(s)
1-8: 0, 0, 0, 54, 0, 0, N/A, N/A
9-16: N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, 92, 92
17-24: 0, 0, 96, 95, 28, 0, 63, 89

103(ca) All 80 to 86.
103(cb) All 90 or 95.
SWM 100, 97, 100, 100, 0, 0, 0, 0 and 97.

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

If multiple HD DVRs are rebooting on their own...it would seem that the problem rests in something they both have in common.

That narrows the search to the Dish, SWM, or cables to these 2 devices.

Based on your latest readings in the previous post...it seems that while a few of the signal levels are less than optimum...things should work at this point.

I would look to check the connectors themselves (their condition) and connections (tight/not tight) on the cables between the HD DVRs and the SWM. The splitter could be suspect too. If all that is in order...try one more reboot on the two units.

If the problems remain...it sounds like you might need a service call to have things checked out.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

One thing I didn't post here is that the DVRs seem to reboot at a certain time of day, each is different.

The HR23 appears to reboot between 11 PM and 3 AM. This occurs almost every night but has skipped a night periodically.

The HR21 (shares same power source as my HR24) appears to reboot between 3:00 AM and 7:00 AM. I caught this one rebooting at 6:30 AM one morning.

The the best of my knowledge, neither DVRs have ever rebooted between the hours of 3 PM and 11 PM. (Use the blue circle as my tattle tale, and I change the order of my playlist to A-Z, wish that would stick between reboots)

My first thought is the UPS is running a self test but that is not the case, unfortunately. Also if that were the case, why now and at the same times. But I ruled that out by plugging the DVRs directly into the wall and they rebooted in the middle of the night.

I will check my coax connections but I did use a small wrench to snug each connection down. I didn't make the connection to the antenna as that is on the roof and my roof is not for the faint of heart. Very high and steep pitch. I'd like the thing moved to ground level now that the trees behind my house have been removed. I could then clean the snow and ice off during the mild winter.

All cables are RG6. Of the hardware suggested I'd say it has to be the SWM splitter, power inserter, or antenna. The only other thing it could be is the software which is what I'm honestly leaning towards only because the HR24 works and I don't understand how a poor, corrupt, spiking, or any other possibly of signal malfunction would cause a system to reboot, especially only during a certain window of time?

I will also swap the coax connections at the SWM splitter between the HR24 and HR21 so I have something "good" connected to the HR21. I'll move the HR23 to a different connection.

Will report back with the results, good or bad.

-Mark

#8 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

You might try temporarily putting one of the DVR's on another outlet, which is on a different circuit breaker. Possibly using on a long extension cord, if you have one. Maybe there is too much on that UPS or on that line and this might help you at rule out a one possible cause.

Your situation may be different then mine, but one of my HR22's started rebooting almost every day when the second release of the HD GUI downloaded. And then it started missing recordings. When it got worse, I had to RBR just to get it working. All diagnostic tests that I ran and then a "technical" csr had me run again, showed it was fine, but it wasn't. I replaced it with an HR34 and its been working good ever since (Had some bugs on the SD GUI, but most seem resolved on the HD GUI). I only mention this, because it appears that sometimes the diagnostics don't reveal an issue.

Although, in addition to replacing the HR22 with the HR34, they did replace the splitter and SWiM LNB with ones that had green labels. When SWiM was first released, I had convinced the original installer to give me a SWiM setup, despite it not being on the order ( So maybe they didn't have the green labels back then). DIRECTV always showed that I didn't have SWiM. So despite me explaining that to them, they still ordered a replacement. I figured, why not get newer hardware.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

You might try temporarily putting one of the DVR's on another outlet, which is on a different circuit breaker. Possibly using on a long extension cord, if you have one. Maybe there is too much on that UPS or on that line and this might help you at rule out a one possible cause.

Your situation may be different then mine, but one of my HR22's started rebooting almost every day when the second release of the HD GUI downloaded. And then it started missing recordings. When it got worse, I had to RBR just to get it working. All diagnostic tests that I ran and then a "technical" csr had me run again, showed it was fine, but it wasn't. I replaced it with an HR34 and its been working good ever since (Had some bugs on the SD GUI, but most seem resolved on the HD GUI). I only mention this, because it appears that sometimes the diagnostics don't reveal an issue.

Although, in addition to replacing the HR22 with the HR34, they did replace the splitter and SWiM LNB with ones that had green labels. When SWiM was first released, I had convinced the original installer to give me a SWiM setup, despite it not being on the order ( So maybe they didn't have the green labels back then). DIRECTV always showed that I didn't have SWiM. So despite me explaining that to them, they still ordered a replacement. I figured, why not get newer hardware.

When you replaced the the HR22 with the HR34, was that at full cost to yourself? Was your HR22 very old? Flipping $400.00 for another DVR seems a bit extreme and although if I were single I would probably do it, my wife on the other hand would snap my neck without a very good reason to spend that kind of money. The HR21 and HR23 were not cheap. I've already had the hard drive on the HR21 once last year, Weaknees I think it was.

As for your suggestions... The bedroom and living room DVRs are on different CB's. Different APC UPS as well. The bedroom DVR is the only thing plugged into the UPS battery backed side. It should run for over 40 minutes without input power. I did unplug the UPS and let it run for 10 minutes and the DVR never stopped running.

So far I haven't lost any recordings, and I typically don't record anything in the middle of the night but there are programs that could. I haven't seen any partial recordings yet. Currently this is an annoyance issue but I'm concerned there is more to it and for what I've paid and am paying, it should work properly.

#10 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

When you replaced the the HR22 with the HR34, was that at full cost to yourself? Was your HR22 very old? Flipping $400.00 for another DVR seems a bit extreme and although if I were single I would probably do it, my wife on the other hand would snap my neck without a very good reason to spend that kind of money. The HR21 and HR23 were not cheap. I've already had the hard drive on the HR21 once last year, Weaknees I think it was.

As for your suggestions... The bedroom and living room DVRs are on different CB's. Different APC UPS as well. The bedroom DVR is the only thing plugged into the UPS battery backed side. It should run for over 40 minutes without input power. I did unplug the UPS and let it run for 10 minutes and the DVR never stopped running.

So far I haven't lost any recordings, and I typically don't record anything in the middle of the night but there are programs that could. I haven't seen any partial recordings yet. Currently this is an annoyance issue but I'm concerned there is more to it and for what I've paid and am paying, it should work properly.

Missed the part having separate UPS's, so you may have another issue. Like hdtvfan0001 mentioned, it could be the splitter, connections, etc, that was the problem. When my HR34 was installed, they did replace the LNB and splitter. Although my second HR22 was on the same LNB and splitter and worked fine.

If it gets worse and you want an HR34 cheaper, you have to ask. I didn't pay $400, it was actually free. When I first had issues with my 3 yr old HR22, I talked to a "technical" CSR. They wanted to send someone out to troubleshoot and charge for it. I wanted her to simply send an equal replacement. She refused, so I called retention, explained the situation and mentioned I would like an the HR34. He said if that would I would like, he would give it to me at no charge. I just had to resign a 2 yr commitment.

A little background on my situation. I was out of contract and already had an offer on my account for a free HD DVR. When I had called a regular csr prior to all my problems, to inquire on the HR34, they said I could get it installed for $199. Didn't bite, since I felt it was just a "nice to have" option. When I started having issues, it was seemed like more of a necessity. Free just iced it.

If you want an HR34, call and say cancel to get to retention. Explain how frustrated you are with your current situation. That you may have to look at another provider, even though you really don't want to. Then let them know that prior to the issues, you were thinking of getting the HR34. And ask if there is any chance they can work a deal to replace what you have. Then see what they say.

Edited by RACJ2, 13 April 2012 - 09:19 AM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#11 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

Currently I'm working through someone with a DirecTv Rep and sending troubleshooting information from both DVRs to DirecTv via something called SENDREPORT. This apparently gives them more data to figure out what the problem might be. I certainly wouldn't mind moving my HR24 up to my bedroom and putting an HR34 in my living room. You give very good advice and I just might have to take it. Let's see how the next week goes. If I start loosing programming, I'm going to be forced down that path.

#12 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Good luck, hope everything works out for you.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#13 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

Another Update:
Last night (4/15/2012) at 11:49 PM the HR23 rebooted. It was in the middle of recording channel 204 (so I could tell when it reboots).

My HR21 has not rebooted yet but sometimes it will skip a day so we will see when it happens.

I'm curious if the HR23 will reboot at the same time again tonight.

-Mark

#14 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

My current DVR testing has shown these results...

I started recording Channel 204 (because it's SD and there are several long programs) on both DVRs. This has been going on for several days. I had the HR23 reboot once, appears to have tried to slipped in between recordings (sneaky bugger) but slightly cut the end off one program. The HR21 has never rebooted since starting this and the HR23 rebooted just that once.

This rules out flaky hardware, electrical problems, dish or coax, etc... It's not hardware.

So the problem must be software related. I suspect the DVRs are not rebooting because they sense a recording is going on and simply do not reboot because of that. It's just a guess, I can't say it's factual.

I will stop all this 24/7 recording later today or tomorrow, forget how far I set up the recordings. Either way I will be watching to see if the DVRs start rebooting again.

Something else could have happened, DirecTv could have fixed something in the program guide data which is what I think is causing the problem, or something in the stream that is specific to my market area. I'll find out soon.

-Mark

#15 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

So I've stopped continuous recordings and now the DVRs are back to rebooting. This is very irritating. Guess it's time to watch any programs now that we haven't seen and get ready for two DVR replacements as I suspect that is what DirecTv will be doing. Very irritating. This is where the encrypted hard drives for a specific machine just make life more difficult. I guess it could be the LNB although from an engineering stand point I don't see how that is possible at all.

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

If multiple HD DVRs are rebooting on their own...it would seem that the problem rests in something they both have in common.

That narrows the search to the Dish, SWM, or cables to these 2 devices.

Based on your latest readings in the previous post...it seems that while a few of the signal levels are less than optimum...things should work at this point.

I would look to check the connectors themselves (their condition) and connections (tight/not tight) on the cables between the HD DVRs and the SWM. The splitter could be suspect too...

Either something in common, or something coincidental.

From what I know about RF, it would be extremely unlikely that something passive like a connector or cable or splitter or antenna or passive multiswitch could ever cause a system to reboot. I highly doubt that this is the place to look, and if you look there it means you are not looking for the usual suspects.

It is also highly likely that problems with active components in the RF path (powered multiswitch, LNBF) could manifest in such a manner. If one understands how RF works, how software works, and how microprocessors work, it is difficult to see what that causal connection might possibly be. There is plenty of infrastructure isolating them in a DVR.

If it were the case that this might be a suspected causal link, simply disconnecting an RF cable or tuning a channel that was not there would cause a reboot. It never does.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#17 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:39 AM

TomCat,
Thanks for tossing in a rational thought. I completely agree. Things are odd with these two DVRs. On Sunday and Monday morning they both started to freeze, then eventually clear. My wife and I were watching a few recorded programs on the HR21 on Sunday and the program froze anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes. Removing the coax solved the problem and we finished watching all but 1 program. Come Monday morning I performed the NVRAM clearing and the DVR rebooted about every 30 minutes (+/- 3 minutes) for 4 hours then has been running fine since, well it didn't freeze or reboot. I haven't checked it this morning for odd activity.

All my problems started when these two DVRs got a software update or shortly after (a few days). I'm still convinced it's the software and program guide data together causing the problems. More needs to be done on my part to see if clearing the NVRAM actually solved the problems on the HR21 and if it did then I will be clearing NVRAM on the HR23 and crossing my fingers.

I agree, an RF signal cannot cause these problems I'm seeing however the data within the RF signal could. It's the only thing which makes any sense.

If I find out my HR21 is still flaky, once I've watched that last recorded program then I will do a full blown reset of the DVR. Try to take it back to near factory, I guess that is the purpose of the third reset option.

Also, things I've done have been all the internal tests except the surface scan on the internal hard drive. Everything passed.

So I'm still looking for other straws to grasp at. In the meantime I will be looking at other DVRs to possibly replace the two I have. I heard the Tivo units were coming out several months ago, I hope they are on the market if I really do need to replace both units. DTivos never gave me grief in the past.

Either something in common, or something coincidental.

From what I know about RF, it would be extremely unlikely that something passive like a connector or cable or splitter or antenna or passive multiswitch could ever cause a system to reboot. I highly doubt that this is the place to look, and if you look there it means you are not looking for the usual suspects.

It is also highly likely that problems with active components in the RF path (powered multiswitch, LNBF) could manifest in such a manner. If one understands how RF works, how software works, and how microprocessors work, it is difficult to see what that causal connection might possibly be. There is plenty of infrastructure isolating them in a DVR.

If it were the case that this might be a suspected causal link, simply disconnecting an RF cable or tuning a channel that was not there would cause a reboot. It never does.

#18 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

....Your situation may be different then mine, but one of my HR22's started rebooting almost every day when the second release of the HD GUI downloaded. And then it started missing recordings. When it got worse, I had to RBR just to get it working. All diagnostic tests that I ran and then a "technical" csr had me run again, showed it was fine, but it wasn't. I replaced it with an HR34 and its been working good ever since (Had some bugs on the SD GUI, but most seem resolved on the HD GUI). I only mention this, because it appears that sometimes the diagnostics don't reveal an issue....

Remember what I said above, sounds like you are going down the same path. I really feel that my issue was with the hard drive and the additional load put on it with the HD GUI download, pushed it over the edge.

May be time to at least try calling to see if they sill ship you a DVR to replace one of them. If so, disconnect the coax from your old one before you deactivate it, so you can continue to watch the recordings. Although if it keeps rebooting, it may lock it down after a certain period of time. And of course, you will have to send it back at some point, so they don't charge you for it.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#19 OFFLINE   Joe Schmuck

Joe Schmuck

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

If it was the new HD GUI, which I'm still certain it's the new software, but DirecTv has an obligation to ensure the software is compatible. Right now I feel like they are drumming up new income. To have two units having the same problem at the same time, this bugs me. I am looking into replacements but when I called DirecTv they told me they would need to send out a service rep and maybe replace the LNB. I won't get the HR34 because I'm hearing about too many problems with it still although if it worked properly I'd really like it. I would hate to migrate over to my local cable provider, I've been with DirecTv for 11 years now and we are very use to the channel lineup and the service (when it works) is very good.

Remember what I said above, sounds like you are going down the same path. I really feel that my issue was with the hard drive and the additional load put on it with the HD GUI download, pushed it over the edge.

May be time to at least try calling to see if they sill ship you a DVR to replace one of them. If so, disconnect the coax from your old one before you deactivate it, so you can continue to watch the recordings. Although if it keeps rebooting, it may lock it down after a certain period of time. And of course, you will have to send it back at some point, so they don't charge you for it.

#20 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

If it was the new HD GUI, which I'm still certain it's the new software, but DirecTv has an obligation to ensure the software is compatible. Right now I feel like they are drumming up new income. To have two units having the same problem at the same time, this bugs me. I am looking into replacements but when I called DirecTv they told me they would need to send out a service rep and maybe replace the LNB. I won't get the HR34 because I'm hearing about too many problems with it still although if it worked properly I'd really like it. I would hate to migrate over to my local cable provider, I've been with DirecTv for 11 years now and we are very use to the channel lineup and the service (when it works) is very good.

They wanted to send out a tech with my issue as well. I figured instead of paying $60, I could put that towards the HR34. As it ended up, getting it free meant saving the $60. And I'm very happy with the HR34 by the way, despite a couple insignificant issues I'm experiencing.

In your case, not wanting to go for the HR34, it may be worth $60 if the tech can actually resolve your issue. If he can't, then ask for credits to offset the charge, since they couldn't fix your issue.
HR34-700, HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...