Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 7) - 04/11/2012

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Who were YOUR favorites tonite? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Who were YOUR favorites tonite?

1. Skylar Laine (10 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

2. Colton Dixon (10 votes [14.71%])

3. Jessica Sanchez (14 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

4. Joshua Ledet (9 votes [13.24%])

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

5. Hollie Cavanagh (8 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Phillip Phillips, Jr. (7 votes [10.29%])

Percentage of vote: 10.29%

7. Elise Testone (10 votes [14.71%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Who did you like tonite? Who will be in the bottom 3 this week?
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:33 PM

Here's my .02, FWIW:

The two performances I enjoyed the most tonite were Colton's and Elise's.

I thought the judges gave too much credit to Jessica, and were too hard on Hollie.

That said, I think the bottom three this week will be Hollie, Skylar and either Phillip or Jessica.

I think Hollie will be going home.

Edited by Steve, 12 April 2012 - 05:18 AM.
Removed spoiler tags

/steve

#3 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

People should know this thread will have spoilers from tonight's episode, so I'm not going to use Spoiler tags.

SKYLAR: Actually, one of my favorite performances from Skylar. It was not her biggest moments, but unlike most of her songs, I thought it was strong from top to bottom. Nowhere near as nasally as usual.

COLTON: MASTERCLASS! Nothing more to say...

PHILLIP & ELISE: I LOVE to hear them do duets... and I love the song, so I was EXTREMELY pleased with this duet. Nigel told me so... and I'm in agreement.

JESSICA: I knew the song, and I thought Jessica was FANTASTIC with the emotion and the vocal performance she put into it, but I would have gone with another song. It was a great performance, but I think it might not connect with people as much as she'd want them to.

JOSHUA: Not my favorite performance by his, but it was nice to see him do an uptempo number and go a little more Pop and less Gospel. He looked like he had fun on stage too which was nice.

SKYLAR & COLTON: They were the weakest duet last week, IMHO, but I thought they were top-notch this week. Very good...

HOLLIE: Uh............................................................................................................................................... I thought this was one of her strongest performances. I thought the judges were incredibly harsh on her.

PHILLIP: Not my favorite performance of his... though I thought it started out great. I think it would have come off a lot better had he done it with just him and the guitar. It was kind of a middle-of-the-road performance for me for him.

HOLLIE, JESSICA, & JOSHUA: I was kind of underwhelmed by this. Joshua did pretty good... his harmonies when he was singing with Hollie were wonderful, but it just lacked something to my ears.

ELISE: Not quite the "moment" I was hoping for, but she had a strong performance, and I really enjoyed it.

FAVORITES OF THE NIGHT?: Colton & Elise
FAVORITE DUET OF THE NIGHT?: Phillip & Elise

BOTTOM THREE?: Hollie, Skylar, and ??????????
LEAVING?: Hollie

I thought they all did good tonight, and I will be sad to see anybody leave tomorrow. :(

~Alan

#4 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

I do want to add though that I think there could be a possibility that Hollie will stay simply as a side effect of the judges comments.

I think they were WAY too harsh with her, and I think that may throw some sympathy her way... or at least rally her fanbase.

I feel that's the one unknown factor that could change things.

~Alan

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Who did you like tonite? Who will be in the bottom 3 this week?

P.S.... I really wish you had made the poll public. :(

Other than that... thanks for saving me the trouble! :D

~Alan

#6 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

Quoted from last week's thread:

I think they may be looking for a female champ this season. Four back-to-back male champs is a pretty good indicator that the judges/producers may be eyeing a female to win it. If that is in any way conceivable, then I think Jessica is in for a good run. We will know once the judges start picking on the male singers in an effort to manipulate the vote in the girls' favor, akin to what they did for Scotty last year.

Pimping of Joshua aside... I think that's pretty obvious.

I don't think Phillip will make the top three. IMHO he's too independent and set in his ways.

Do you remember last year's winner?! :eek2:

Did you hear Jimmy mention how Colton and Phillip are fighting for the girls' votes?

I'm not as confident as I once was, but I'm still going with the prediction that he'll be Top 3. I COULD be completely wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it... so far.

What we need to look for is the SAVE. Once it gets used, all hell (Pia Moments) will break loose.

Next week is the last week it can be used, so it's happening either this week or next.

Usually... there's a Top 7 (and forward on) where there's one or two people that NEED to go home and keep hanging in there. I don't feel that way this year. I don't want to see ANY of these go home.

Even my two least favorite contestants (Colton and Skyler) have managed to have some GREAT moments in my mind... heck, Colton had one tonight.

It's definitely a good year in my mind.

And those are not bold predictions ... just guesses. :D

They certainly aren't bold anyway... ;) :P

~Alan

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

Other than that... thanks for saving me the trouble! :D

~Alan

I like it when not public ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

I like it when not public ...

You should see me whenever I go to vote... trying to contort my body in awkward positions so as to keep the persons behind me from seeing anything (most likely in vain). If this was a controversial issue, I'd like it private as well, but this is American Idol and...

I get really involved in AI... I like to see who voted for who... or equally important, the people who did not vote for certain individuals... I enjoy seeing trends in the voting here... etc.

I usually like my votes being viewable as well, but this week I clicked on everybody since I enjoyed all the performances... so mine is kind of boring this week.

To each their own... :)

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:30 AM

It never occurred to me to. Sorry about that! I wanted to vote before I went to bed and didn't see a poll, so I took a shot at it. :P
/steve

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

HOLLIE: Uh............................................................................................................................................... I thought this was one of her strongest performances. I thought the judges were incredibly harsh on her.

[...]

FAVORITES OF THE NIGHT?: Colton & Elise
FAVORITE DUET OF THE NIGHT?: Phillip & Elise

I thought they all did good tonight, and I will be sad to see anybody leave tomorrow. :(

Seems like you and I pretty much watched the same show last night, unlike Mr. Tyler. Poor Hollie. I'll be very interested to hear Jimmy's review tonite.

I think this will be a night when everyone gasps at who's in the bottom 3. Based on their comments the past couple of weeks, I don't see them using the save for Hollie. I can see them using it for Elise, if it breaks that way. You never know how the voting's gonna go.

I'd like to hear a duet with Elise and Colton next week. Phillip and Skylar as well.
/steve

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,098 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

There were 3 times during the show where it was obvious Randy has an agenda...in terms of bringing Joshua to the top. While Joshua did a very good job last night...he was no more than 3rd in line. When Randy specifically pointed out how great Joshua was above the 2 girls in the trio song...it really stood out as to what he's thinking.

Joshua is # 2 in performance skills but # 4 in terms of singing skills...how much screaming of high notes can a person's ears take...?

Elise was perhaps the surprise of the night, followed by Hollie - both raised their game. I don't think either of them will win...but it was nice to see them do considerably better.

Not sure about Colton. He needs another banner performance to hold onto the top spot...it didn't come last night. Skylar is the dark horse...hanging near the top the past few weeks, with an occasional top spot.

If anything...I think last night was probably the most "even" for performances by all of them in some time...no one person glaringly stood out above the rest. The gradebook would read alot of B's, B+'s, and a couple of A-'s...

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 12 April 2012 - 06:28 AM.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

I don't get the Judge's hate for Hollie .. She clearly doesn't have an advocate up there like most of them do. In her trio with Jessica and Joshua, I felt very strongly that all three of them did great and not one of them sang above the other. To bad Hollie couldn't use the unrated version of 'Perfect.' Then she could have told the Judges exactly where to go. :lol:

I thought Colton won the night followed by Elise. I thought Jessica sang lights out, she was great, BTW, but I can't help but think that she peaked last night. I don't see her upping her game for the remainder of the season (her career on the other hand is an entirely different story .. She'll do just fine.)
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

IMHO I think they all did a great job last night. If I had to choose the top two it would be Elise and Colton. I really wish Elise had a better following because she can definitely perform.

For the bottom three (since they always pick a bottom three), I would have to say Hollie (I just cannot connect to her. I think she sings well but she just wears me out when she performs since I can tell she is counting), Jessica (song choice was not great for me), and ...umm... probably Joshua (his singing was fine but it would have been like I was voting for the 1970's instead of 2010).

Will be interesting tonight.

#14 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

It never occurred to me to. Sorry about that! I wanted to vote before I went to bed and didn't see a poll, so I took a shot at it. :P

I didn't watch the show live. I finished it at about 10:10, and my Uncle came over for an after-show discussion. :)

Seems like you and I pretty much watched the same show last night, unlike Mr. Tyler. Poor Hollie. I'll be very interested to hear Jimmy's review tonite.

Pretty much everything I read stated they thought the judges were too harsh on Hollie. Heck, even Nigel Lythgoe stated that he didn't think the judges were fair to her:

I didn't think the judges were fair on Hollie but it's all subjective. I more than not usually agree with them. Interesting voting tonight!!

I don't know if he'd seen any of the voting, or was making a prediction, but it may have backfired on the judges. :rolleyes:

I think this will be a night when everyone gasps at who's in the bottom 3. Based on their comments the past couple of weeks, I don't see them using the save for Hollie. I can see them using it for Elise, if it breaks that way. You never know how the voting's gonna go.

I'm not sure anybody is safe tonight... :eek2:

I'd like to hear a duet with Elise and Colton next week. Phillip and Skylar as well.

I like Elise and Phillip too much... otherwise, I'd agree with you... :D

~Alan

#15 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

There were 3 times during the show where it was obvious Randy has an agenda...in terms of bringing Joshua to the top. While Joshua did a very good job last night...he was no more than 3rd in line. When Randy specifically pointed out how great Joshua was above the 2 girls in the trio song...it really stood out as to what he's thinking.

There are three guys left in this competition. Vocally, Joshua is far superior to the both of them, but the other three have the voting edge. Yeah, Randy was pimping him last night, but I think it was completely understandable.

I stated that Joshua out sang both girls last nights prior to Randy doing so. Last week, he and Jessica were on par with each other... last night, he was superior to them both. I don't believe it was the right song choice...

Joshua is # 2 in performance skills but # 4 in terms of singing skills...how much screaming of high notes can a person's ears take...?

WHAT THE FRAK?!?! :eek2:

To me this competition is which J is better...

Elise was perhaps the surprise of the night, followed by Hollie - both raised their game. I don't think either of them will win...but it was nice to see them do considerably better.

I think Colton was the surprise of the night. He's usually at the bottom of my list week after week, so to see him at the top is always surprising.

Elise was great, but I was expected even better...

Hollie was probably the second biggest surprise in my mind.

Not sure about Colton. He needs another banner performance to hold onto the top spot...it didn't come last night. Skylar is the dark horse...hanging near the top the past few weeks, with an occasional top spot.

:eek2:

If anything...I think last night was probably the most "even" for performances by all of them in some time...no one person glaringly stood out above the rest. The gradebook would read alot of B's, B+'s, and a couple of A-'s...

I thought Colton and Elise stood out a little bit, but otherwise, I don't disagree...

~Alan

#16 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,098 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

There are three guys left in this competition. Vocally, Joshua is far superior to the both of them, but the other three have the voting edge. Yeah, Randy was pimping him last night, but I think it was completely understandable.

Guess we'll just have to disagree on that...but Randy might agree with you...

I stated that Joshua out sang both girls last nights prior to Randy doing so. Last week, he and Jessica were on par with each other... last night, he was superior to them both. I don't believe it was the right song choice...

Perhaps on his solo...yes...but I was referencing the trio specifically...and Joshua did NOT outsing the 2 gals on that gig...not even close. Randy seems on a personal mission with Joshua just like JLO was with her "pet" singer kicked off last week.

I think Colton was the surprise of the night. He's usually at the bottom of my list week after week, so to see him at the top is always surprising.

Colton doesn't end up in the bottom though...so it would seems others don't share that view.

But it is neat to see different perspectives from various viewers each week of course. I enjoy your feedback as just much as anyone else's...I am wondering about the judge's judgment some weeks though.

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I don't get the Judge's hate for Hollie .. She clearly doesn't have an advocate up there like most of them do. In her trio with Jessica and Joshua, I felt very strongly that all three of them did great and not one of them sang above the other. To bad Hollie couldn't use the unrated version of 'Perfect.' Then she could have told the Judges exactly where to go. :lol:

I disagree about the trio, but the other thought crossed my mind last night... :D

I thought Colton won the night followed by Elise. I thought Jessica sang lights out, she was great, BTW, but I can't help but think that she peaked last night. I don't see her upping her game for the remainder of the season (her career on the other hand is an entirely different story .. She'll do just fine.)

Agree on Colton and Elise, but I strongly disagree on Jessica. I've heard multiple people say they didn't care for her song choice last night. They thought it was kind of boring. Perhaps if she had chose another Jazmine Sullivan song ("Bust Your Windows")... :D

IMHO I think they all did a great job last night. If I had to choose the top two it would be Elise and Colton. I really wish Elise had a better following because she can definitely perform.

For the bottom three (since they always pick a bottom three), I would have to say Hollie (I just cannot connect to her. I think she sings well but she just wears me out when she performs since I can tell she is counting), Jessica (song choice was not great for me), and ...umm... probably Joshua (his singing was fine but it would have been like I was voting for the 1970's instead of 2010).

Will be interesting tonight.

I can connect with Hollie, but yeah, she is not comfortable on stage, and that's her Achilles' Heel. I thought she did a much better job at relaxing last night, but she needs more experience.

I have Bruno Mars' "Doo-Wops & Hooligans" album... and while there are some great unreleased tracks on there (I LOVE "Talking To The Moon"), I had to think about what song it was he was going to sing. I like that he didn't take us to church this week, but it wasn't a great song choice for me. It's a shame he didn't do the Kelly Clarkson song solo...

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Guess we'll just have to disagree on that...but Randy might agree with you...

Pretty much everyone I know (offline) agrees with me, so it's not just Randy. :D

Perhaps on his solo...yes...but I was referencing the trio specifically...and Joshua did NOT outsing the 2 gals on that gig...not even close. Randy seems on a personal mission with Joshua just like JLO was with her "pet" singer kicked off last week.

Actually, I thought both Jessica and Hollie were better on their solos than Joshua during his, but during the trio, Hollie and Jessica were like back-up singers... and I don't feel they needed to be. Jessica was going toe to toe with Joshua last week, so we know she can do it, and I think Hollie is more than capable, so I don't know what happened last night, but I'm blaming song choice.

Colton doesn't end up in the bottom though...so it would seems others don't share that view.

Are you talking about the voting here or on AI?!

I'm pretty much agreeing with Doug Brott prediction in that Colton is the winner this year. I think he's extremely overhyped, but I suspect it will happen.

Bit it is neat to see different perspectives from various viewers each week of course. I enjoy your feedback as just much as anyone else's...I am wondering about the judge's judgment some weeks though.

I certainly don't agree with them many weeks, and I thought they were WAY off with Hollie last night.

~Alan

#19 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

For what it's worth, I don't want to see anybody go home so I voted (phone) last night for those who I'd be disappointed if they went home:

• Jessica
  • Joshua
  • Phillip
  • Elise

~Alan

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,098 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Pretty much everyone I know (offline) agrees with me, so it's not just Randy. :D

I guess I get out more... and hear the opposite view on Joshua. :D:lol:

Are you talking about the voting here or on AI?!

AI - Colton has been at or near the top for many weeks now.

There seem to be 2 camps in terms of how people vote...those who judge by performance...and those who judge the singing. In a few cases, there are people who do well with both...but a number of the remaining 7 fail on one side or the other.

What I find most interesting is that just a couple of weeks ago...all 3 judges stressed about how this was a singing content and pitchy voices were a major problem. Now all we seem to hear about is the showmanship or what outfit someone is wearing, and less about singing skill.

Bring back Simon for a week - he'll get these judges squared away and back to reality. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...