Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 7) - 04/11/2012

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Who were YOUR favorites tonite? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Who were YOUR favorites tonite?

1. Skylar Laine (10 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

2. Colton Dixon (10 votes [14.71%])

3. Jessica Sanchez (14 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

4. Joshua Ledet (9 votes [13.24%])

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

5. Hollie Cavanagh (8 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Phillip Phillips, Jr. (7 votes [10.29%])

Percentage of vote: 10.29%

7. Elise Testone (10 votes [14.71%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

For what it's worth, I don't want to see anybody go home so I voted (phone) last night for those who I'd be disappointed if they went home:

• Jessica
  • Joshua
  • Phillip
  • Elise

I've given up on Phillip. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I like everything about him but his song choices and he's done nothing to change that opinion... so far. I'm still hopeful someone else will pick his songs from here on out.

Colton, OTOH, moved up a notch in my estimation last night (as did Elise, 2 of the last 3 weeks). So my top four ATM would be same as yours, except Colton instead of Phillip.

Colton reminded me a lot of David Cook last night. For the first time this season, I saw the potential for him to win it all.

I'm not worried about Joshua. Even if he gets voted off tonite, he's going to have a great career ahead of him, IMHO.

I'm less sure about Jessica, however. I like her a lot, but I don't think she's as good as Charice, e.g., and I haven't heard boo about her since her last Glee guest appearance a year or two ago.

Actually Charice may be doing well and I'm just not aware of it, because I don't follow careers that closely, with one notable exception. I'm rooting for Adele to end it with her current beau so she can write some more great break-up songs for a new album. How selfish am I? :P
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

I guess I get out more... and hear the opposite view on Joshua. :D:lol:

I have no doubt you get out more, and you most likely talk to a younger crowd as well. That doesn't stop me from disagreeing...

Interestingly enough... I USED to hear the opposite view on Joshua as well. I think earlier this week was the first time I heard several people (including one individual who has been watching AI, and I didn't know it) say they actually like him.

AI - Colton has been at or near the top for many weeks now.

If you're referring to votes... absolutely! He's got the teeny-bopper vote as well as people who like him for his beliefs.

Performance wise... most people I've spoken to feel he's middle-of-the-pack at best.

It's really strange too about the teeny-bopper vote. I've heard MANY women and young girls GUSH about Phillip's looks, but I have not heard a SINGLE one say anything about Colton. Geographical differences maybe?!

There seem to be 2 camps in terms of how people vote...those who judge by performance...and those who judge the singing. In a few cases, there are people who do well with both...but a number of the remaining 7 fail on one side or the other.

I vote in a rather complex way. First, I look at the contestants:

VOCAL ABILITY: Jessica/Joshua/Hollie/Skylar/Elise
CONSISTENCY: Jessica/Elise/Phillip
WEAKNESSES: Joshua ("Squealing")/Jessica ("Uptempo")/Skylar ("nasally")/Phillip ("growlly", "lack of change-up")
MARKETABILITY: Colton/Skylar/............................................Phillip

I then add money making abilities, personal preferences, etc. into the list.

What I find most interesting is that just a couple of weeks ago...all 3 judges stressed about how this was a singing content and pitchy voices were a major problem. Now all we seem to hear about is the showmanship or what outfit someone is wearing, and less about singing skill.

If you've got nothing nice to say... compliment their showmanship and outfit. :D

Bring back Simon for a week - he'll get these judges squared away and back to reality. ;)

You'd think so.... but I thought he was off several times on The X-Factor... though in fairness to him, I think he was taking the competition part of that show too far in my opinion. Thankfully, he didn't take it as far as some of the other judges...

~Alan

#23 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

I've given up on Phillip. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I like everything about him but his song choices and he's done nothing to change that opinion... so far. I'm still hopeful someone else will pick his songs from here on out.

Phillip has never had a "moment" on the show, IMO. That's bad because I think he's probably the only person left to never have had one. :(

I have no issue with his song choices, but I think he needs to change it up. I think he's done great with his duets with Elise. I think he needs to challenge himself more.

Colton, OTOH, moved up a notch in my estimation last night (as did Elise, 2 of the last 3 weeks). So my top four ATM would be same as yours, except Colton instead of Phillip.

Colton has had three performances this year where I truly enjoyed him.... one of which was prior to the live shows. I think he had a performance or two last year, but overall, he bores me to tears. A lot of potential, but several great performances do not make up for the others that make me want to go to sleep. :(

Elise has had two bad performances during the live shows. The rest of her performances (including her two duets) have been among my favorites those particular weeks. She's definitely a favorite of mine. :)

Strangely enough, that woman who I mentioned in my last post (the one who I was not aware watched AI) said there was one contestant she didn't like who seemed to yell. She seemed to think it might have been Elise. :eek2:

Colton reminded me a lot of David Cook last night. For the first time this season, I saw the potential for him to win it all.

I was not (nor am) the biggest David Cook fan, but David Cook did AMAZING on AI. I'm sitting here listening to him sing "The Music Of The Night" in my head from simply thinking about it.

I think Colton has the potential to be as good or better, but I don't think he's shown it on the AI stage like David Cook did. That may be a good thing, as I personally don't think DC has lived up to the potential he's showed on the show. :rolleyes:

I'm not worried about Joshua. Even if he gets voted off tonite, he's going to have a great career ahead of him, IMHO.

I wouldn't be surprised. I just think the show should be fair...

I'm less sure about Jessica, however. I like her a lot, but I don't think she's as good as Charice, e.g., and I haven't heard boo about her since her last Glee guest appearance a year or two ago.

Actually Charice may be doing well and I'm just not aware of it, because I don't follow careers that closely, with one notable exception. I'm rooting for Adele to end it with her current beau so she can write some more great break-up songs for a new album. How selfish am I? :P

Good comparison on Charice by the way...

I don't disagree.... Jessica, Joshua, and to a lesser extent, Elise, would be the hardest contestants left to market.

I'm a huge Adele fan, so I'll just use a smiley as a statement: :D

~Alan

#24 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

I was curious, so I checked:

VOTE FOR THE WORST is recommending Phillip. :(

~Alan

#25 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,802 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Interestingly enough... I USED to hear the opposite view on Joshua as well. I think earlier this week was the first time I heard several people (including one individual who has been watching AI, and I didn't know it) say they actually like him.

There's little doubt he has displayed enough talent to get some kind of deal regardless of the outcome of the final voting. I just suspect he won't be a finalist, despite Randy's strong lobbying for that to happen.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#26 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

There's little doubt he has displayed enough talent to get some kind of deal regardless of the outcome of the final voting. I just suspect he won't be a finalist, despite Randy's strong lobbying for that to happen.

I don't really expect him to either...

Jacob made it to the top 5 last year, and though their styles are similar, Joshua is infinitely more talented, so I give him a possibility of making the Top 4, but I don't really see him going further. :(

DialIdol.com is predicting Joshua, Phillip, and Skylar being safe tonight, with everybody else being in potential danger. Of the four left, I think everybody stands a chance of getting the save with the exception of Hollie. It was obvious they wouldn't have saved Elise last week, but they might this week.

~Alan

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,802 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

I don't really expect him to either...

Jacob made it to the top 5 last year, and though their styles are similar, Joshua is infinitely more talented, so I give him a possibility of making the Top 4, but I don't really see him going further. :(

DialIdol.com is predicting Joshua, Phillip, and Skylar being safe tonight, with everybody else being in potential danger. Of the four left, I think everybody stands a chance of getting the save with the exception of Hollie. It was obvious they wouldn't have saved Elise last week, but they might this week.

~Alan

Yup...that "drama" this week and next comes down to if and when they want to use that 1 save...and of course...we're coming up to the annual "surprise" of a frontrunner getting the boot.

#28 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

there is a result tonight on American Idol that some would say is very shocking!

Not too surprising...

~Alan

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:26 PM

I think this will be a night when everyone gasps at who's in the bottom 3.

I'm not sure anybody is safe tonight...

there is a result tonight on American Idol that some would say is very shocking!

Not too surprising...

Agree.

If Ryan is right, prolly means it's not Hollie. To paraphrase Elaine Benes, is everyone else "save-worthy"? :scratchin
/steve

#30 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Agree.

If Ryan is right, prolly means it's not Hollie. To paraphrase Elaine Benes, is everyone else "save-worthy"? :scratchin

Yeah... I think Hollie was saved via backlash from the judges' comments. I started wondering (AFTER I posted my initial thoughts last night) if that would happen...

I think they made it clear that Elise would not have been saved last week. Tonight, I give her 50/50. I'd say ditto for Skylar. After their comments last night, I'd say the same for Phillip.

Colton, Jessica, & Joshua are in the 100% territory in my mind...

~Alan

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

I think they made it clear that Elise would not have been saved last week. Tonight, I give her 50/50. I'd say ditto for Skylar. After their comments last night, I'd say the same for Phillip.

Colton, Jessica, & Joshua are in the 100% territory in my mind...

I was thinking next to Hollie, Skylar might be least worthy of saving, but she did a nice rendition of Wind Beneath My Wings last week, and, perhaps more importantly, she's the only country singer left. Losing her might lose a good chunk of the viewing audience and cost them ad $$$'s. Ya, I know it shouldn't matter...
/steve

#32 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,802 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Yup...that "drama" this week and next comes down to if and when they want to use that 1 save...and of course...we're coming up to the annual "surprise" of a frontrunner getting the boot.

To paraphrase Elaine Benes, is everyone else "save-worthy"? :scratchin

I suspect we'll lose Joshua or Phillip tonight...and the save will not be used.

Then again...anyone else's wild guess could be true too.

#33 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

I was thinking next to Hollie, Skylar might be least worthy of saving, but she did a nice rendition of Wind Beneath My Wings last week, and, perhaps more importantly, she's the only country singer left. Losing her might lose a good chunk of the viewing audience and cost them ad $$$'s. Ya, I know it shouldn't matter...

The performance of WBMW was a mixed reaction for me. She started it off with her usual nasal voice, but then nailed it on the second half. It was an awesome performance for her, but I don't like listening to her when she's so nasal... which is usually 50% of the song in her performance. :(

I wouldn't save her personally, and that's no disrespect to her as I think she will have success in the industry.

However, for the reasons you mentioned, I give her a 50/50 shot at being saved.

I suspect we'll lose Joshua or Phillip tonight...and the save will not be used.

Then again...anyone else's wild guess could be true too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either one at the bottom, but I'll eat my cap if Joshua is not saved...

BTW... does anyone know how accurate DialIdol is at Top 7 results?! According to them, Joshua and Phillip are the top two with Skylar in third place, and everyone else in danger.

~Alan

#34 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,802 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see either one at the bottom, but I'll eat my cap if Joshua is not saved...

Looks like Joshua isn't as great as some think...but he survived.

Not surprised to see Jessica at the bottom....a great voice though...

#35 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Looks like Joshua isn't as great as some think...but he survived.

Greatness has nothing to do with the voting process...

The quote you quoted also had to do with the judges' save. He would have been saved...

Not surprised to see Jessica at the bottom....a great voice though...

Nope... the voting on this show is definitely insane.

DialIdol was only somewhat accurate:

They had Phillip, Skylar, and Joshua safe... 1 wrong.
They had Elise, Colton, Jessica, and Hollie in the too close to call territory with Elise and Colton at the bottom.

I knew which group was the bottom from the start tonight. :(

~Alan

#36 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Congratulations on picking the bottom four. :P

For what it's worth, I don't want to see anybody go home so I voted (phone) last night for those who I'd be disappointed if they went home:

• Jessica
  • Joshua
  • Phillip
  • Elise

~Alan

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#37 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

Congratulations on picking the bottom four. :P

Bottom Four? :confused:

:lol:

Yeah... I was thinking about how I voted for the bottom three whenever I saw the two groups.

I think there's been several times where I've given votes to two of the Bottom Three, but I think this might be the first time I've given votes to all three. :D

~Alan

#38 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,802 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

What became clear last night is that the judges ranted and raved and then used their only "save" for the season in order to save face as they seemed to be totally out of sync with the voting public results.

Next week will be the defining moment of the season with 2 people eliminated. If the voting remains the same...the judges will really have egg on their faces. Randy, in particular, seems to have his own agenda for his picks.

The good news is that a number of these young singers will get contracts most likely, and benefit from the experience - all of which is a good thing.

#39 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

The good news is that a number of these young singers will get contracts most likely, and benefit from the experience - all of which is a good thing.

Exactly. Some of the people who didn't win are doing better than those that did.

#40 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:01 AM

I think there's been several times where I've given votes to two of the Bottom Three, but I think this might be the first time I've given votes to all three

Just my .02, and I'm a big fan of hers, but I thought Jessica was squeaking out her save song so poorly last night, JLo had no choice but to run on stage to stop the bleeding. Had she been allowed to continue that "DeAndre" imitation (IMO), it might have been much harder for the judges to justify the save. I actually cringed when Ryan asked Jessica to "sing us out!"

Song choice will be more important than ever next week. If Jessica picks the wrong song, she could be last in next week's voting too.

The result added context to Ryan's question to Randy earlier in the night. When they were showing the clip of Jessica skatting the night before, and Ryan asked Randy something like, "After watching Jessica's performance again, do you still feel the same way about it tonight?".

Edited by Steve, 13 April 2012 - 06:08 AM.

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...