Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 7) - 04/11/2012

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Who were YOUR favorites tonite? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Who were YOUR favorites tonite?

1. Skylar Laine (10 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

2. Colton Dixon (10 votes [14.71%])

3. Jessica Sanchez (14 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

4. Joshua Ledet (9 votes [13.24%])

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

5. Hollie Cavanagh (8 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Phillip Phillips, Jr. (7 votes [10.29%])

Percentage of vote: 10.29%

7. Elise Testone (10 votes [14.71%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:11 AM

Exactly. Some of the people who didn't win are doing better than those that did.

As we all know...that has happened before.

Some past AI "winners" have been record-selling flops, while others have done exteremely well. The same could be said for folks in the top 3 in the past...so there are actually multiple winners the way this "contest" rolls out.

I would not be surprised to see 4-5 people from this year's crop of top 10 getting some kind of record deal.

The only thing that seems disturbing is when Randy or JLO have agendas to "promote" their personal favorites week in and week out, despite not necessarily being the top talent. The show seems to be evolving in some ways from a singing talent and popularity contest to only a popularity contest.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:48 AM

Both Missy and I agreed that last nights save was scripted and the reported results were false. This was done to create drama. Ryan Seacrest even tweeted “there is a result tonight on @AmericanIdol that some would say is very shocking”.
Jessica's very feeble, half hearted and squeaking attempt to perform her save was the cue for J-LO to run up on stage and do her emoting. Even Steve T. announced that the save card will be used before the loser was announced.
This was all planned.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#43 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:50 AM

Both Missy and I agreed that last nights save was scripted and the reported results were false. This was done to create drama. Ryan Seacrest even tweeted “there is a result tonight on @AmericanIdol that some would say is very shocking”.
Jessica's very feeble, half hearted and squeaking attempt to perform her save was the cue for J-LO to run up on stage and do her emoting. Even Steve T. announced that the save card will be used before the loser was announced.
This was all planned.

That would not be entirely surprising, as the "shocker" elimination shows have happened in the past.

#44 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

I watched the performance show and result show back to back so I'm late to the discussion, but I though Colton and Elise were the winners on performance night, thought Hollie was great, and agree that Jessica was not up to her own standards.

I was really surprised that Elise, Jessica, and Joshua were in the bottom three on the results show, and perhaps Jessica and Joshua being in the B3 was what Ryan alluded to in his tweet? I'm positive Jessica was never in the B3 before, but I'm not sure about Joshua.

When the final result came and it was Jessica, I was even MORE surprised, but I guess this is probably due to complacency by the voters: Jessica is praised so much, everyone probably thinks she's safe, so no one votes for her because they think everyone else is voting for her.

I was definitely NOT surprised that the save was used. I expected it to be used as soon as Joshua, Elise and Jessica were named the B3. I could also see the save being used for Colton and Phillip, but I'm not sure if the judges would have used it for Skylar, and for sure they would not have used it for Hollie.

This means next week two performers go home, right? So it will be a critical performance night next week, dropping from seven to the top five in one night...

#45 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

I wasn't surprised that the save was used, I think this was the last show it could be used. Use it or lose it. Another reason I believe this was a setup. Even if it wasn't, no matter who lost, the save would have been used.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#46 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

I wasn't surprised that the save was used, I think this was the last show it could be used. Use it or lose it. Another reason I believe this was a setup. Even if it wasn't, no matter who lost, the save would have been used.

Next week is the last week...but that really is not a big point.

With this group of judges...showing their views on their own "pet" favorites repeatedly...the save was very likely going to get used this week or next.

#47 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

Another reason I believe this was a setup. Even if it wasn't, no matter who lost, the save would have been used.

I don't think it would have been used for Hollie. Steven made that pretty clear with his comments after her performance Wednesday night. I didn't agree with what he had to say, but if he really felt that way, no way he was going to save her, IMO. I also thought Phillip's and Skylar's chances at being saved may have been 50/50.

EDITED TO ADD: Now that I think about it, ironically, Steven may have saved Hollie for another week because of his comments Wednesday night. She got the sympathy vote. :P

I was also surprised Jimmy was so tough on Hollie's performance last night. I didn't expect him to pile on like that.
/steve

#48 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I don't think it would have been used for Hollie. Steven made that pretty clear with his comments after her performance Wednesday night. I didn't agree with what he had to say, but if he really felt that way, no way he was going to save her, IMO. I also thought Phillip's and Skylar's chances at being saved may have been 50/50.

EDITED TO ADD: Now that I think about it, ironically, Steven may have saved Hollie for another week because of his comments Wednesday night. She got the sympathy vote. :P

I was also surprised Jimmy was so tough on Hollie's performance last night. I didn't expect him to pile on like that.

Totally agree with all your observations in this post Steve.

#49 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:51 AM

I haven't looked anywhere to get info, but I suspect next week is a single elimination as the "double" will be Jermaine who got booted earlier in the season. Could be wrong I guess, but I don't think Fox/AI want to give up 3 hours of ad time during sweeps
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#50 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:52 AM

I got the sense that Jimmy was saying he thought he could "fix" her .. meaning singing is not the problem, it's the other performance stuff.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#51 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

I got the sense that Jimmy was saying he thought he could "fix" her .. meaning singing is not the problem, it's the other performance stuff.

I agree he wasn't criticizing her singing. I just didn't think she deserved as much performance criticism as she got, especially given how much undue (IMO) performance praise Jessica got after Wednesday night's performance. I thought Hollie was much more "natural" this week than last. I guess Jimmy and Steven felt otherwise.
/steve

#52 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

All this talk about Jessica reminded me of Alison Iraheta, another 16-17 year old from season 8. I went back and listened to a couple of her performances, and I like her better than Jessica. She made it to the final 4, IIRC.

Her duet with Adam Lambert is still my favorite Idol duet to date. I've only been watching since season 5, however.

/steve

#53 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

With this group of judges...showing their views on their own "pet" favorites repeatedly...the save was very likely going to get used this week or next.

You keep mentioning pets, favorites & agendas. This happens every season and is nothing new. Simon was the worst offender of this.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#54 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Absolutely .. There is always an agenda with these Judges. It's just part of the show.

#55 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

You keep mentioning pets, favorites & agendas. This happens every season and is nothing new. Simon was the worst offender of this.

Quite true.

It's just more blatent, obvious, and intrusive this year.

#56 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

And that was a "Pia Moment", folks. The only surprise was that it came while the SAVE was still unused. There is no telling how many more we'll see.

Now that they have forced the judges hands, I suspect we'll see teenyboppers voting with their groins and not their heads until the end of the season.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#57 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

What became clear last night is that the judges ranted and raved and then used their only "save" for the season in order to save face as they seemed to be totally out of sync with the voting public results.

The "save" was created so that when America either becomes complacent, or gets one wrong, the judges can save them. Daughtry was the reason the "save" was created, and the judges used the save on some people who simply didn't deserve it, but I think the judges (well, at least Randy and Steven considering Jennifer wanted to use it on Heejun and DeAndre) learned their lesson.

Just my .02, and I'm a big fan of hers, but I thought Jessica was squeaking out her save song so poorly last night, JLo had no choice but to run on stage to stop the bleeding. Had she been allowed to continue that "DeAndre" imitation (IMO), it might have been much harder for the judges to justify the save. I actually cringed when Ryan asked Jessica to "sing us out!"

Song choice will be more important than ever next week. If Jessica picks the wrong song, she could be last in next week's voting too.

Some people do well with their "save me" song, others let their emotions and nerves get to them. I didn't think it was bad per se, but it was a poor job for her. I disagree that the judges saved her to keep her from singing. I think it was simply a case where there was no need to continue to put her through the emotional wringer when they would have been complete fools to let her leave.

Most likely... she'll be safe next week regardless of her song choice. Last night will rally her fan base.

Will Hollie go home next, or will it be Skylar, Elise, or Joshua?! :confused:

The result added context to Ryan's question to Randy earlier in the night. When they were showing the clip of Jessica skatting the night before, and Ryan asked Randy something like, "After watching Jessica's performance again, do you still feel the same way about it tonight?".

There's usually hints in advance... but without the knowledge beforehand, it can be difficult to discern what's real, or what's a fake-out.

~Alan

#58 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

The show seems to be evolving in some ways from a singing talent and popularity contest to only a popularity contest.

As evidenced by Jessica, Joshua, and Elise being in the Bottom Three last night... :(

This was all planned.

I gave Jessica and Joshua 100% chance of being saved if they were in the Bottom Three, and Elise 50%/50%. Steven Tyler later said that when he saw the Bottom Three, he knew they'd be using the save regardless of which one it was.

Yeah, Ryan said there would be shocking results the day of Pia's elimination last year as well.

Nigel stated that the voting on Wednesday night was interesting after stating he felt the judges were too hard on Hollie.

I strongly disagree that it was staged/planned. It's been obvious for several years now... particularly last year when Howdy Doodie won.

~Alan

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,524 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

The "save" was created so that when America either becomes complacent, or gets one wrong, the judges can save them. Daughtry was the reason the "save" was created, and the judges used the save on some people who simply didn't deserve it, but I think the judges (well, at least Randy and Steven considering Jennifer wanted to use it on Heejun and DeAndre) learned their lesson.

I suspect you are 98% right on target with that all Alan.

Both how Pia and Daughtry were prematurely ousted likely contributed to where things are today. I commend the producers to come up with that solution.

It's the actual choice made by the judges that people will debate. I suspect it's much tougher this year where a clear-cut favorite (or even two) have not yet emerged this late in the competition among a longer list of talented final 7 than in the past.

There are times it is easy to forget we have a number of sub 18 year olds and other very young competitors on this list - alot of talent in this group.

#60 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

There's usually hints in advance... but without the knowledge beforehand, it can be difficult to discern what's real, or what's a fake-out.

I'm pretty sure Ryan knows the exact results beforehand, so he and the director can script/orchestrate/rehearse the "building the bottom three" parts of the show.
/steve

spam firewall