Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 7) - 04/11/2012

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Who were YOUR favorites tonite? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Who were YOUR favorites tonite?

1. Skylar Laine (10 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

2. Colton Dixon (10 votes [14.71%])

3. Jessica Sanchez (14 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

4. Joshua Ledet (9 votes [13.24%])

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

5. Hollie Cavanagh (8 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Phillip Phillips, Jr. (7 votes [10.29%])

Percentage of vote: 10.29%

7. Elise Testone (10 votes [14.71%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

I was really surprised that Elise, Jessica, and Joshua were in the bottom three on the results show, and perhaps Jessica and Joshua being in the B3 was what Ryan alluded to in his tweet? I'm positive Jessica was never in the B3 before, but I'm not sure about Joshua.

I told my Uncle recently that Joshua had never been in the bottom three, which was technically correct, but I was partially wrong. During the Top 13 week's result show, they did a Bottom Six (guys and gals).

Top 13 Week: Jeremy, Elise, Jermaine, Erika, Shannon, and Joshua
Top 11 Week: Shannon, Erika, and Elise
Top 10 Week: Erika, DeAndre, and Heejun
Top 9 Week: Heejun, Hollie, and Skylar
Top 8 Week: DeAndre, Elise, and Hollie
Top 7 Week: Jessica, Joshua, and Elise

When the final result came and it was Jessica, I was even MORE surprised, but I guess this is probably due to complacency by the voters: Jessica is praised so much, everyone probably thinks she's safe, so no one votes for her because they think everyone else is voting for her.

I think a LOT of people were probably voting for Hollie...

This means next week two performers go home, right? So it will be a critical performance night next week, dropping from seven to the top five in one night...

I did the math... one goes home next week.

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

I don't think it would have been used for Hollie. Steven made that pretty clear with his comments after her performance Wednesday night. I didn't agree with what he had to say, but if he really felt that way, no way he was going to save her, IMO. I also thought Phillip's and Skylar's chances at being saved may have been 50/50.

EDITED TO ADD: Now that I think about it, ironically, Steven may have saved Hollie for another week because of his comments Wednesday night. She got the sympathy vote. :P

I was also surprised Jimmy was so tough on Hollie's performance last night. I didn't expect him to pile on like that.

I got the sense that Jimmy was saying he thought he could "fix" her .. meaning singing is not the problem, it's the other performance stuff.

I agree he wasn't criticizing her singing. I just didn't think she deserved as much performance criticism as she got, especially given how much undue (IMO) performance praise Jessica got after Wednesday night's performance. I thought Hollie was much more "natural" this week than last. I guess Jimmy and Steven felt otherwise.

Yeah, he's called the judges out before, I expected him to do it again.

Everything I've read has shown people thought they were too harsh on her performance... even Nigel Lythgoe said so, so I expected Jimmy to say something. Apparently not...

~Alan

#63 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

All this talk about Jessica reminded me of Alison Iraheta, another 16-17 year old from season 8. I went back and listened to a couple of her performances, and I like her better than Jessica. She made it to the final 4, IIRC.

Her duet with Adam Lambert is still my favorite Idol duet to date. I've only been watching since season 5, however.

They're completely different in my mind, so I can't say I like her any better than Jessica. Did she only do one duet with Adam? If so, I purchased it on iTunes.

Speaking of Allison, her album is pretty good... I own it. It's got multiple songs on it I like, but there's one I LOVE called "Scars." Give it a listen... :)

~Alan

#64 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:14 PM

You keep mentioning pets, favorites & agendas. This happens every season and is nothing new. Simon was the worst offender of this.

Quite true.

It's just more blatent, obvious, and intrusive this year.

Is it... or is it that you just disagree with it more this year?! :P

People I know have been turned off by the judges' being asked after the performances who were the best of the night, and who was in trouble. I was extremely glad when the refused on Wednesday night.

~Alan

#65 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

And that was a "Pia Moment", folks. The only surprise was that it came while the SAVE was still unused. There is no telling how many more we'll see.

Now that they have forced the judges hands, I suspect we'll see teenyboppers voting with their groins and not their heads until the end of the season.

I cannot disagree...

I'm thankful at least that as long as Phillip is on, it will still be interesting to me at least. :D

I suspect you are 98% right on target with that all Alan.

Both how Pia and Daughtry were prematurely ousted likely contributed to where things are today. I commend the producers to come up with that solution.

It's the actual choice made by the judges that people will debate. I suspect it's much tougher this year where a clear-cut favorite (or even two) have not yet emerged this late in the competition among a longer list of talented final 7 than in the past.

There are times it is easy to forget we have a number of sub 18 year olds and other very young competitors on this list - alot of talent in this group.

I think anybody looking at it objectively will not debate their choice.

As for a clear-cut favorite (or even two)? Phillip is a WGWG, and Colton is a WGWP.

Just sayin'.... ;)

I'm pretty sure Ryan knows the exact results beforehand, so he and the director can script/orchestrate/rehearse the "building the bottom three" parts of the show.

Absolutely. As I've said multiple times, Nigel was even commenting on the voting being interesting on Wednesday night. I was referring to us watching at home.

It was pretty obvious to me that whenever they put Hollie and Jessica on two different sides, that Jessica was probably in the Bottom Three. I had my suspicions prior to that, but that was the clincher for me.

Here's a little tidbit though. There have been years in the past where the person who goes home, would be heavily featured in the Ford Music Video that week. Unless it was edited the day of the result show, it may have been coincidence, but it was that way a LOT... so you'd usually get a heads-up. Last night when Elise was the dragon lady, I had to wonder... LOL!! I brushed it off though because that hasn't been the case lately...

~Alan

#66 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

It's important to remember that the judges hear the performances very differently than we do at home, the acoustics of the hall, the mob screaming behind them, the PA sound bouncing around, all these major factors can really change your opinion of a given performance. Thus Randy revising his thoughts on hearing Jessica at home. In the hall it's all excitement and echoes and weird mixes. At home it's clean and relatively naked, and you can totally hear when pitch is off. They can't fake their way though the TV audio. That's why the judges mis-judge pitch a lot live. They often call a singer out on pitch when at home you can hear it's fine. TV audio does not lie.

It's kind of ridiculous at this point: Jessica is 1,000% better than anybody else--Jimmy basically says it, the judges basically just said it during the save, there literally is no contest anymore.

But. Jessica does not sing anything a kid would want to listen to. She sings diva songs and mature R&B stuff, she sings like a polished 40-year old. Not hip at all. Adult music. What 14-23 year old would buy her records? Nobody. She's in that whole Whitney-Celine-Blige bag and truly kills it, but she's way out of her own demo, and that's a problem for a 16 year old.

Add to the confusion those at home voting on looks, age, gender, whatever. The home voters have proven themselves to be seriously flaky vis a vis being able to reward true talent over charisma and sex appeal.

Though I wouldn't mind if the voters would just do their job and cut through all the judges' crapola and simply vote for a true idol: someone beautiful, sexy and cool who can sing relevant, contemporary, ORIGINAL pop-rock with a 14-23 year old demo appeal. THAT is what American Idol is supposed to be about, but rarely is. It's more of an AOR Glee-fest.

And we hear there is this mass of hysterical 12 year old girls who do most of the voting. I wouldn't doubt it based on some of the bottom three groupings.

Gotta love Jimmy's Phillip analysis echoing what I've been saying from the very beginning: Phillip clones Dave Mathews. More to the point, he literally APES him. Style, voice, even looks somewhat. Even wardrobe. DM always wears those junky clothes on stage, hence Phillip's predilection for grunge duds. I mean, if you want DM, buy his music. Who needs a second DM? I can't even stand ONE DM, never mind two.

Skylar is just another in a long line of spitkicker trailer trash ugly Gretchen Wilson Redneck Woman clones. Idol cranks these out like a string of fat sausages, pandering to the evangelical gun-toting bible-thumpers. It's truly pathetic and demeaning to music in general.

Holly seems not to be getting a square deal. Weird criticisms from the judges over pitch. That's baloney, no pitch problems there. She's better than they give her credit for, they're doing a bag job on her. She was a little physically stiff in her last performance, but so was Joshua almost grotesquely, let's just call it, "stylizing".

An almost satirical stereotyping of a mincing, flouncing gay man. But the judges just ate it up. Now Joshua is an attractive, talented and exciting performer. But his stage act as realized on Idol is only appropriate for a gay club. Which is fine, no problem, that's beautiful. More power to him. But why are the judges completely ignoring that 800 lb. gorilla in the room? They're quick to savage anyone for stylizing with Broadway musical stage mannerisms as inappropriate for the show. So a performer's mannerisms are fair game. And Joshua's mannerisms are overt and extreme. I guess political correctness rules over sanity with the judges.

Now you might say Adam Lambert made that work. I'd say no, we're not talking at all about being gay per se, that's irrelevant. We're talking about only a performer's mannerisms on stage, what they communicate through body language. Adam didn't mince, flounce, skip or diva it up. He simply kicked ass every time out. He was obviously gay, but wasn't awkwardly trying to emulate or impersonate female mannerisms in his act. Two entirely different presentations. And sexual preference independent.

Colton's great, an all-too-rare actual POP-ROCK performer in the making on the show. As opposed to country-pop pap. He's top 3 for sure.

Elise, she's a band singer. A pretty good one. There are Elises all over America at Six Flags and in bars and at country fairs. She has neither the looks nor the voice nor the uniqueness to ever sell a single recording. There's just nothing special about her at this level. She's getting votes at this point on sheer likeability which is ok. But an Idol? Please.

Jessica obviously deserves it. But can she survive singing middle-aged lady material at age 16? And like they said of Obama, is America ready for an Asian American Idol? I hope so, because she's a freaking Phenomenon. And everybody knows it.

Edited by Maruuk, 14 April 2012 - 04:40 AM.

#67 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,577 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Jessica does not sing anything a kid would want to listen to. She sings diva songs and mature R&B stuff, she sings like a polished 40-year old. Not hip at all. Adult music. What 14-23 year old would buy her records? Nobody. She's in that whole Whitney-Celine-Blige bag and truly kills it, but she's way out of her own demo, and that's a problem for a 16 year old.

Same problem Charice had, I guess. I do think Charice was/is more polished than Jessica, but then again, I never listened to Charice "singing for her life" in a competition.
/steve

#68 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

It really would be great to hear Jessica tackle something modern from an artist her age, like Selena Gomez' "Love You Like A Love Song".

It's never really explained on the show, but my understanding is that it takes a lot to get clearances for song rights, so when the contestants have to deal with deadlines to pick a song, get those rights and work out the arrangements, I'm sure they can't always pick the songs they'd like...

#69 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

Inspired partly by Wednesday's vote no doubt, the contestants will be singing two songs next week.

I still haven't read a theme...

~Alan

#70 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

[...] It's never really explained on the show, but my understanding is that it takes a lot to get clearances for song rights, so when the contestants have to deal with deadlines to pick a song, get those rights and work out the arrangements, I'm sure they can't always pick the songs they'd like...

Agree. I heard/read/saw somewhere (so take this with a grain...) that the kids pick songs from lists that AI provides, but if he/she wants a song not on the lists, they have to wait for Fox or Freemantle/19 Entertainment to get it cleared (not sure who).
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#71 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

It was so refreshing when they finally offered a repertoire of songs to the performers from the last 2 years. Contemporary (last 2-3 years) pop/rock/R&B/hip-hop/Alt-Rock is seriously under-represented. Country pop of all periods is hideously OVER-represented.

How awesome would it be to hear Jessica sing a Shawn Colvin or a KT Dunstall or even a zillion times better, a St. Vincent tune?? She desperately needs to break out of her safe little middle-aged diva cocoon and prove her bones in the Alt-pop arena. And I think she could kill in that zone!

#72 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

Agree. I heard/read/saw somewhere (so take this with a grain...) that the kids pick songs from lists that AI provides, but if he/she wants a song not on the lists, they have to wait for Fox or Freemantle/19 Entertainment to get it cleared (not sure who).

I think it's doubly-hard sometimes because I'm pretty certain that AI basically asks if it's OK to use the song but won't pay any money for it (assumes exposure is worth enough). Not all artists will allow their work to be presented on AI. It's probably easier for some songs than it is for others.

I suspect James' Uprising from last year fell into the "Heck Yeah!" category for Muse with regard to getting it cleared. AI is still a great way to get exposure.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#73 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

In the end...I must admit that while I disagree with the judging at times....this is quite the talented group this year.

As others have noted, in some cases, song selection has simply done-in certain contestants one week or another.

It would not be surprising at all to learn afterwards...that this year's group has a larger number of contracted artists than in past years.

Talent abounds.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#74 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

How awesome would it be to hear Jessica sing a Shawn Colvin or a KT Dunstall or even a zillion times better, a St. Vincent tune?? She desperately needs to break out of her safe little middle-aged diva cocoon and prove her bones in the Alt-pop arena. And I think she could kill in that zone!

I know better than to reply to a post from you, but I just have to this time.

I haven't heard anything new from KT in years, nor Shawn Colvin since the song that was used as the theme song to "Suddenly Susan." I don't even know who St. Vincent is...

Shawn Colvin is 56 and is a completely different style than Jessica. Jazmine Sullivan is 25, and sings the style of music that Jessica says she wants to perform.

I'm sorry... but as usual, I strongly disagree. :confused:

~Alan

#75 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,252 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

I know better than to reply to a post from you, but I just have to this time.

I haven't heard anything new from KT in years, nor Shawn Colvin since the song that was used as the theme song to "Suddenly Susan." I don't even know who St. Vincent is...

Shawn Colvin is 56 and is a completely different style than Jessica. Jazmine Sullivan is 25, and sings the style of music that Jessica says she wants to perform.

I'm sorry... but as usual, I strongly disagree. :confused:

~Alan

You may not care for Maruuk's post, but you have to agree they are thought-provoking. There is no gray in what Maruuk thinks... just pure black and white. I respect that, and I tend to log it in under "personal opinion" when I disagree. :)

p.s. KT sounds great on "Suddenly I see". I love Shawn's rendition of Gnarls "Crazy". St. Vincent's "Paris is Burning" should be a nice introduction for you.

Edited by Henry, 16 April 2012 - 11:55 AM.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#76 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

I'll just comment on this part of your post:

p.s. KT sounds great on "Suddenly I see". I love Shawn's rendition of Gnarls "Crazy". St. Vincent's "Paris is Burning" should be a nice introduction for you.

I have KT's "Eye to the Telescope" album, and I'm a fan. However, she's mid-30s and hasn't had a hit in years. Maruuk stated the following earlier:

But. Jessica does not sing anything a kid would want to listen to. She sings diva songs and mature R&B stuff, she sings like a polished 40-year old. Not hip at all. Adult music. What 14-23 year old would buy her records? Nobody. She's in that whole Whitney-Celine-Blige bag and truly kills it, but she's way out of her own demo, and that's a problem for a 16 year old.

When Katharine McPhee sang "Black Horse And A Cherry Tree," it was current. There's nothing wrong with making an older song sound fresh in my opinion, but Maruuk's statements earlier made it sound like he wouldn't agree with that, so...

As I stated, I haven't heard anything new from Shawn in years... "Nothing On You" was the last song I heard from her, so I don't really consider her very contemporary either.

I may have to check out St. Vincent... that song title sounds familiar, so it's possible I may be aware of them, and simply not aware of their name.

~Alan

#77 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Well it's not just the age of the song or the singer-songwriter, it's the attitude, where it's coming from, hipness, edge, ALT-ness. And Idol singers traditionally trot out such uber-safe, brutally shop-worn evergreens with zero 'tude and zero edge and zero message that it's stultifying.

Yeah, Cherry Tree, which is from KT's 2005 album, was a great example. McPhee killed it. Presentation, 'tude, it came off dead fresh and contemporary. We just need way more boldness and experimentation with not just more current material, but with thoughtful lyric content beyond insipid love songs or country gal man-hating revenge songs involving guns and pickup trucks and beer.

First AI artist brave enough to put their personal vocal stylings to a St. Vincent tune, I grant 'em 1,000 bonus points! I put Annie Clark where the Beatles WOULD have gone musically if they stayed together, stopped dropping acid, and went to Berklee.

Edited by Maruuk, 16 April 2012 - 01:11 PM.

#78 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Well it's not just the age of the song, it's the attitude, where it's coming from, hipness, edge, ALT-ness. And Idol singers traditionally trot out such brutally shop-worn evergreens with zero 'tude and zero edge and zero message that it's stultifying.

Yeah, Cherry Tree, which is from KT's 2005 album, was a great example. McPhee killed it. Presentation, 'tude, it came off dead fresh and contemporary. We just need way more boldness and experimentation with not just more current material, but with thoughtful lyric content beyond insipid love songs or country gal man-hating revenge songs involving guns and pickup trucks and beer.

Thanks for clarifying... now I understand. :)

~Alan

#79 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

You know, back in the day, Randy used to call out passionately for exactly this combination of edgier, contempo content and unique, stylized delivery. He's a serious musician and he gets when a performer is phoning it in or taking a risk. Unfortunately it seems the producers have worn him down some and he's now tending to reward performers for fairly wimpy renditions (safely within their comfort zones) of safer stuff.

Remember when rock n' roll was supposed to be dangerous, subversive and kinda-sorta dirty? Last time I remember seeing anything like that on Idol was from Adam Lambert!

#80 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Inspired partly by Wednesday's vote no doubt, the contestants will be singing two songs next week.

I still haven't read a theme...

The theme is Now & Then.

One song from 2000-2012, and a "Soul" song from a previous decade.

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...