Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 7) - 04/11/2012

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Who were YOUR favorites tonite? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Who were YOUR favorites tonite?

1. Skylar Laine (10 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

2. Colton Dixon (10 votes [14.71%])

3. Jessica Sanchez (14 votes [20.59%])

Percentage of vote: 20.59%

4. Joshua Ledet (9 votes [13.24%])

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

5. Hollie Cavanagh (8 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Phillip Phillips, Jr. (7 votes [10.29%])

Percentage of vote: 10.29%

7. Elise Testone (10 votes [14.71%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

The theme is Now & Then.

One song from 2000-2012, and a "Soul" song from a previous decade.

~Alan

So in other words they can sing pretty much anything this week ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

So in other words they can sing pretty much anything this week ...

As long as one of them is from 2000-2012! :D

~Alan

#83 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

[...] Remember when rock n' roll was supposed to be dangerous, subversive and kinda-sorta dirty? Last time I remember seeing anything like that on Idol was from Adam Lambert!

... and watered down at that.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#84 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

[...] Remember when rock n' roll was supposed to be dangerous, subversive and kinda-sorta dirty? Last time I remember seeing anything like that on Idol was from Adam Lambert!

... and watered down at that.

"Sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll... take out the drugs and you've got more time for the other two." - Steven Tyler

I wasn't around for the Elvis and The Rolling Stones days. I do LOVE me some Aerosmith and Alice Cooper though, but I'll be honest... I don't believe Rock HAS to be that... it's just a part of it.

~Alan

#85 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:13 PM

"Sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll... take out the drugs and you've got more time for the other two." - Steven Tyler

I wasn't around for the Elvis and The Rolling Stones days. I do LOVE me some Aerosmith and Alice Cooper though, but I'll be honest... I don't believe Rock HAS to be that... it's just a part of it.

~Alan

I was.

R&R is not just a style of music. When it started, there was an attitude that came with it. It was as a way of rebelling against adult authority or anything the young found objectionable. It's a lot more than meets the eye and ear.

Today I don't know what it's morphed into. I was never caught up in it. To me, much of it is just noise. I think my attitude today is more mellow and gruppy.

Yes; I have joined the enemy. :D
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#86 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I was.

R&R is not just a style of music. When it started, there was an attitude that came with it. It was as a way of rebelling against adult authority or anything the young found objectionable. It's a lot more than meets the eye and ear.

Today I don't know what it's morphed into. I was never caught up in it. To me, much of it is just noise. I think my attitude today is more mellow and gruppy.

Yes; I have joined the enemy. :D

Oh... I knew what it was! I was just stating that I wasn't exactly around for the time when it was what it was rebellious. The same message is sorta still out there, but it's found more in Alternative Rock than Rock.

I was born an old man... :eek2:

~Alan

#87 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

I'm going to mash up two shows now to make point:

In Mad Men recently, a client blithely demands that Sterling-Cooper hire the Rolling Stones to sing a commercial about beans. Think about it. Before the mid-60's, you could probably hire a Pat Boone or a Dusty Springfield or a Chubby Checker or a Lulu or a Pet Clark or even a Dave Clark Five (as close to the time as that) to sing about any product you got. They sang for a living, they did it to make money. There were no conflicting principals at all. Dinah Shore sang for Chevrolet, it was just another income stream.

But suddenly, with bands like the Beatles, the Stones, guys like Dylan, Jimi...anti-establishmentarianism was critical to their brand. They couldn't do commercials. They were rebels, revolutionaries, iconoclasts. They were the new embodiment of the beats that confronted Don in the Village:

"How do you sleep at night, man?"

"On a bed of money!"

The Beat influence, first via folk/protest music as heard from Phil Ochs, Ramblin' Jack Eliot, Dylan and others (channeling Woody Guthrie) and then into many bands across the mid 60's and later. The stance was pure counter-cultural. That's what bought their credibility with the kids. Jimi Hendrix couldn't POSSIBLY do a commercial for...anything!

Point being that on Idol now, they force these poor saps to become literally commercial PUPPETS in those moronic Ford ads. The opposite of counter-cultural. Thus the opposite of credibility. It neatly strips any last shreds of cultural dignity they may have left, leaving them perfect soulless and malleable products themselves, which is kind of the point of the show.

When folks step out of line a little, they get slapped down hard. Heejun got lectured to like some little kid. Astro over on X Factor got booted out quick. These shows actually hate individuality and attitude. They want to mold a safe, commercial product.

And the song choices reflect that conservatism very strongly. As has been said, the performers get to choose from a very restricted list. Thus the colorful attitudes and "uniqueness" they can cop is virtually nil. Stripped out by the format.

Thus Idol could never produce a real unique performer with any relevancy. The best they can do is crank out corporate Barbie Doll crooners like Carrie Underwood or corporate hard rock generics like Daughtry or David Cook. Safe as milk. Generic musictainment Lite with zero street cred.

And ironically, with the exception of Daughtry and Underwood, it ends up being so generic and lacking in cred as to not sell well. Lee DeWyze and Crystal Bowersox can't sell for beans. Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard, Katharine McPhee (with the exception of acting), Jordin Sparks, Blake Lewis...it's kind of a self-fulfilling failure formula wrapped in what's supposed to be a sure-fire success package. Irony's a bitch.

Edited by Maruuk, 18 April 2012 - 03:18 AM.

#88 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

+1
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#89 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

I'm going to mash up two shows now to make point:

In Mad Men recently, a client blithely demands that Sterling-Cooper hire the Rolling Stones to sing a commercial about beans. Think about it. Before the mid-60's, you could probably hire a Pat Boone or a Dusty Springfield or a Chubby Checker or a Lulu or a Pet Clark or even a Dave Clark Five (as close to the time as that) to sing about any product you got. They sang for a living, they did it to make money. There were no conflicting principals at all. Dinah Shore sang for Chevrolet, it was just another income stream.

But suddenly, with bands like the Beatles, the Stones, guys like Dylan, Jimi...anti-establishmentarianism was critical to their brand. They couldn't do commercials. They were rebels, revolutionaries, iconoclasts. They were the new embodiment of the beats that confronted Don in the Village:

"How do you sleep at night, man?"

"On a bed of money!"

The Beat influence, first via folk/protest music as heard from Phil Ochs, Ramblin' Jack Eliot, Dylan and others (channeling Woody Guthrie) and then into many bands across the mid 60's and later. The stance was pure counter-cultural. That's what bought their credibility with the kids. Jimi Hendrix couldn't POSSIBLY do a commercial for...anything!

These people would not have tried out for AI, "The X-Factor", or "The Voice". You shouldn't expect others like them to either...

Point being that on Idol now, they force these poor saps to become literally commercial PUPPETS in those moronic Ford ads. The opposite of counter-cultural. Thus the opposite of credibility. It neatly strips any last shreds of cultural dignity they may have left, leaving them perfect soulless and malleable products themselves, which is kind of the point of the show.

When folks step out of line a little, they get slapped down hard. Heejun got lectured to like some little kid. Astro over on X Factor got booted out quick. These shows actually hate individuality and attitude. They want to mold a safe, commercial product.

If you have an attitude, you can try to get a deal the hard old-fashioned way, but if you want America (myself included) to vote for you, you NEED to leave your attitude in check.

The Astronomical Kid was good at what he did... I wasn't crazy about it, but it was good. However, I didn't vote for him ONCE... and part of that reason was his attitude.

And the song choices reflect that conservatism very strongly. As has been said, the performers get to choose from a very restricted list. Thus the colorful attitudes and "uniqueness" they can cop is virtually nil. Stripped out by the format.

The point is to show that you can sing anything... regardless of what they throw at you. Some people can only sing one specific style or type of music. Others can do anything...

Thus Idol could never produce a real unique performer with any relevancy. The best they can do is crank out corporate Barbie Doll crooners like Carrie Underwood or corporate hard rock generics like Daughtry or David Cook. Safe as milk. Generic musictainment Lite with zero street cred.

Carrie Underwood along with Kelly Clarkson are my two favorite Idol winners, so I won't comment on this. Daughtry is one of my favorite contestants, so again, I won't comment on this.

And ironically, with the exception of Daughtry and Underwood, it ends up being so generic and lacking in cred as to not sell well. Lee DeWyze and Crystal Bowersox can't sell for beans. Taylor Hicks, Ruben Studdard, Katharine McPhee (with the exception of acting), Jordin Sparks, Blake Lewis...it's kind of a self-fulfilling failure formula wrapped in what's supposed to be a sure-fire success package. Irony's a bitch.

Jordin Sparks (my third favorite winner BTW), actually had a huge hit with "No Air"... and she had some songs that didn't do as well, but I still hear on the radio from time to time. I won't argue with the rest... LOL!!

It's obvious we don't agree much with Idol, and though I understand your point, I think you're expecting too much.

~Alan

#90 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

Astro was/remains a conceited jerk. He's but a child.

It irks me that this new generation wants it all ... as long as it doesn't have to work for it.

So, I haven't read any predictions from anyone ... got any?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#91 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,432 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hollie will sing something tonite the judges actually like??? :P
/steve

#92 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

The set list is out:

NOW
"No One," Alicia Keys
"I Believe," Fantasia Barrino
"Rolling in the Deep," Adele
"U Got it Bad," Usher
"Born this Way," Lady Gaga
"Fallin'," Alicia Keys
"Bad Romance," Lady Gaga

THEN
"In the Midnight Hour," Wilson Pickett
"A Change is Gonna Come," Sam Cooke
"September," Earth, Wind & Fire
"Son of a Preacher Man," Dusty Springfield
"Try a Little Tenderness," Otis Redding
"Heard it Through the Grapevine," Marvin Gaye
"Let's Get it On," Marvin Gaye

~Alan

#93 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,432 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

The set list is out:

NOW
"No One," Alicia Keys
"I Believe," Fantasia Barrino
"Rolling in the Deep," Adele
"U Got it Bad," Usher
"Born this Way," Lady Gaga
"Fallin'," Alicia Keys
"Bad Romance," Lady Gaga

THEN
"In the Midnight Hour," Wilson Pickett
"A Change is Gonna Come," Sam Cooke
"September," Earth, Wind & Fire
"Try a Little Tenderness," Otis Redding
"Heard it Through the Grapevine," Marvin Gaye
"Let's Get it On," Marvin Gaye

~Alan

I hope Joshua's singing "Try a Little Tenderness". That could be a moment, IMHO.

I find it hard matching the guys up with the "NOW" songs. I can see Elise singing Adele, though.
/steve

#94 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

Astro was/remains a conceited jerk. He's but a child.

It irks me that this new generation wants it all ... as long as it doesn't have to work for it.

I used the youth excuse, but Drew and Rachel Crow showed that they had the attitude and maturity to handle it. Astro didn't...

It irks me more that bad attitudes are accepted and praised... :mad:

~Alan

#95 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

I hope Joshua's singing "Try a Little Tenderness". That could be a moment, IMHO.

Joshua could potentially have a moment with every song one of the "THEN" songs.... with the exception of the Dusty Springfield song :eek2:

It'd be interesting if Phillip sang "Try A Little Tenderness." I've mentioned numerous times that while Phillip spent part of his time growing up in Leesburg, he actually came from Sasser... a town in Terrell County (MY county). Interestingly enough, Otis Redding was born in Dawson, GA... a city in Terrell County.

I find it hard matching the guys up with the "NOW" songs. I can see Elise singing Adele, though.

This wouldn't be the first time she sang a song Haley covered last year (last week's GaGa song for instance).

However, I've said this before... heck, I did Monday night after "The Voice"... we need a moratorium on Adele songs. I LOVE Adele, but no more covers for a while... PLEASE!!

Mantasia will most likely sing Fantasia... I can't make up my mind on the others though... I see multiple possibilities...

~Alan

#96 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

BTW... a couple of other articles:

'American Idol' finalist Jessica Sanchez on her almost-elimination

'American Idol' Top 7 on the judges' save and that weird results show

'American Idol' final Phillip Phillips says he stroked Colton Dixon's hair to make girls jealous

'American Idol' Top 7 set list tackles tunes from now and then

#97 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

I forgot to mention... my money is on Skylar singing this.

~Alan

#98 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hollie will sing something tonite the judges actually like??? :P

Last nite's episode is in the can. We'll watch it today I'm sure.

Hope you're right, Steve.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

spam firewall