Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Am I Irrational?? About to cancel.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bshady

bshady

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

So, I had a Hopper system installed a week or two ago and it has worked well for the most part besides it taking the tech 7 hours to install 2 receivers at a pre wired house that already had a current dish up there. It has lost signal a few times with no bad weather to explain it and we have the occasional audio drop out but nothing that pissed me off too bad.
I got home today around 5, turned the TV on and it was searching for signal, running through the sats and transponders. I figured the power went out, looked at the stove, nope power didn't go out. I let it do that for about an hour with no progress, still at 0 of 5. So I reset it and let it sit for about an hour twice with the same results. I checked dish and wiring all looked as they did after installation. Then I called the tech that installed it on his cell. I figured he may be interested in not getting a rework. Nope, he said to call the 800 number.
So I called, did all the troubleshooting with them, and I have absolutely no signal. They said they would send a tech for free under the 60 day installation warranty. Then they said they couldn't get one here for five days. This is when I got pissed. In justification, I live in a city with 3 installation companies and roughly 95,000 people, half of which live on a college campus and a military base who are exclusively cable and don't have satellite. I drive past one of the companies everyday and there are always 10+ vans parked out there at any given time.
I think 5 days, through a weekend is an unacceptable time to wait for a customer who is paying to have a service that has never worked completely smooth since it was installed and is now totally inoperable. So, I am about to do what any smart consumer would do who isn't happy with a service, cancel. I just got finished locking my credit card so it will not accept any charges and I am about to call and cancel. I am sure they will send me a bill for the ETF that I won't pay, and when they hit my credit I will have the BBB and my attorney deal with it. I really do like dish and am sad to leave, they have several more channels than DTV. But, when I had a hardware issue with DTV they had someone there within 24 hrs. If the DIRT team can help I welcome it and any advice. My main goal here was to make sure my expectations are not too high. Sorry I rambled so long, I'll shut up now. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'm a little confused.

A few weeks ago you were posting about trying to get 2 Hoppers installed for free... and now you've had nothing but problems since your install?

What happened the last few weeks? I don't even remember seeing when you actually got your install.

Moving to Hopper forum.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

I'll be happy to check and see if I am able to send a tech out sooner. Please send me a PM with your phone or account number.

#4 OFFLINE   bshady

bshady

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:26 PM

That is a funny story. When I ordered, everything went fine until it came time to give them my CC number. I got everything for free besides the second Hopper which was $50 and I used a 50 off referral code which in my mind made the second one free. Then, when I had him read it back to me before I gave him my CC the second Hopper was gone. He put me on hold forever and then came back and said 2 Hoppers was not allowed. I told him I knew a couple people locally that had two and many more on DBSTALK that in fact had two Hoppers. He assured me that it was not possible, that it would not work even if they gave me two that they could not work off of 1 dish. I talked to his supervisor who told me I must be mistaken about seeing two Hoppers connected at my next door neighbors house. He told me I could go ahead and order then talk to the "CARE" team about the issue. I did this because I knew I was right, I figured these guys were just untrained on the new technology. So over the next 3 hours I talked to 3 or 4 more people, all who gave the same response, I ended up at the "Executive Resolutions Department." They were the rudest ones. Said they were the end of the line, their boss was the CEO and the final lady I spoke with told me anyone with two Hoppers was a result of a shady installer and they would close those peoples accounts. Again, said I was "mistaken" about 2 Hoppers in one house. She apologized for the original guy that built me an order with 2 Hoppers and offered me 5 off for 6 months which I declined. At this point I was going to cancel the order but my wife wanted a DVR and OSG again so I let it go.

They came on 3-26. I believe my install took so long because the guy was around 60 years old and appeared to have had almost zero training on the new system. He said he had worked in South Korea for the cable co and had not been with Dish very long. I had to show him how to hook it up, he was trying to run a client line to a Hopper. When he finally got the receivers to activate it was sign here, initial here, and he left. He said everything was good to go. But, he didn't hook up the Ethernet, the Hopper is about 1.5 inches from my router, and I had even gave him the cables because the boxes didn't come with any. I had to program the remotes myself as well and hook up the Sling Adapter. To be clear though, none of this really bothered me at the time (11:20pm) I was just glad he was gone and I could go to bed. I am semi tech savvy and it was really no big deal to do all this myself.

As for the last few weeks, like I said I've had a few signal loss issues, only for a second or two, but more audio dropouts than anything. But, way less than I had with DTV, their audio issues are why I left. To be honest I don't watch much TV, my wife hasn't griped about it so I was content until today. Now she is all pissed, so I am pissed. She calmed down a little when she realized we could still view the DVR contents, but when I tell her they aren't going to fix it until Tuesday or Wednesday, she is going to box these receivers up and send them back herself.

So, besides them calling me a liar in the beginning and the installer wasting 7 hours of my life, I was happy with Dish until today. I would actually prefer it over D, especially after they get Smithsonian out of test and back on my screen. Damn it, I rambled again, sorry. Thanks for the input, I will PM Raymond and see if he can help.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,793 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

I'm a little lost ... what did you end up with? One Hopper and one Joey? Two Hoppers and no Joeys?

You say your house is pre-wired with a current dish. What kind of dish? Did your installer inspect the dish and check the aim on the dish or just take it for granted that it worked? And for that matter, the pre-wired cable is RG-6 ... how old?

Can you describe your connections? Two or three cables from the dish to the node - solo node (two inputs, two outputs - one host, one client) or duo node (three inputs, four outputs - two host, one client). Is there anything connected between the node and the dish? Is there anything connected between the node and the receivers (taps, splitters, diplexers, separators)? Are there any unterminated outputs on the node or any splitter/tap?

I assume your troubleshooting including unplugging your Hopper (both of them at the same time if you got two) to let the entire system cold start.

#6 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:48 PM

Why would you sign for an installation that was half *** to begin with? I would have sent him on his way long before 11PM and resumed the process the next day requesting a competent installer to complete the work. Your signal loss issue could very well be from the less than stellar install.

You appear to be a patient enough person to have waded through an order placement process like none I have ever experienced with Dish in 14 years followed by an installation from down under and now you would prefer to risk your credit over the whole thing?

If you did in fact get 2 hopper's installed for $0 or even 1 Hopper installed for free with no Joey's then you have already accomplished the impossible.

#7 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

I just got finished locking my credit card so it will not accept any charges and I am about to call and cancel. I am sure they will send me a bill for the ETF that I won't pay, and when they hit my credit I will have the BBB and my attorney deal with

I lol'd, you do realize that your in the wrong in that scenario right? All thats going to happen is your credit will take a hit and your lawyer and the BBB will do jack about it.

That said, while a 5 day wait can seem bad to you you do have to bare in mind that just because you see those 3 buildings with Dish vans in your city does not mean that they exclusively service your city, or if they even service it to begin with. 5 days is a bit bad but if there booked, there booked and the best that can be done is a quick email to field office to see if there might be any openings that arent popping up in the scheduler.

Just be glad it isnt one of the more extreme instances like where people have to wait 2+weeks.

#8 OFFLINE   bshady

bshady

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

I ended up with 1 Hopper and 1 Joey for free. The dishes were identical besides color, but I had him put the new one up because I think the new black ones look cool. 2 wires from dish to grounding block, then 2 wires to single node which is too grounded. Then, one wire to Hopper and 1 to Joey. Nothing is between the wires and the receivers besides barrel connectors at the wallplates. As for the prewired cable, I wired 2 coax runs and 1 cat 5E run to every room in the house about 6 months ago. The wire was a brand new box of 1000'. It was DirecTV branded wire that says on the box " ROHS compliant, Swept tested 5-3000MHZ, designed to work on MOCAs" All wire is run to blue barrel connectors mounted in keystone jacks, with Beldon Snap-N-Seal compression fittings. I tried unplugging and RB resetting both receivers several times with no different results.

Inkosaurs, yes I realize this is ethically wrong, but if I am not receiving a service I am paying for and after my experience with Dish as a whole, I believe they are not holding up their end of the contract. Therefore I have no problem with this course of action. I have no doubt that it may end up on my credit, but I doubt it will stay there long. I bet they would eat the 400 buck ETF before they paid their attorney to come to the armpit of Texas and show up to defend any suit, whether they thought they would win or not. My lawyer is a family member, hence cheap. I'm not an expert. I may lose, but I promise you they would have way more skin in the game than I would.

Anyway, I am not malicious. After the bumpy start I loved it when it was working. I don't want a war with Dish. I just want my TV to work so my wife will shut up and leave me alone about it. I guess I am just used to DTV being here the next day when I had issues, cable would come out the same day, even if it was after hours. They had guys on call I guess.

There is a Dish guy that lives next door to a friend. I think I'll go knock on his door tomorrow and see if he wants to make 50 bucks or so. I will let y'all know how it turns out. I appreciate the input guys, have a good night.

#9 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

I think it would be best for you to cancel and go back to DTV. I don't believe you will be satisfied with any outcome from Dish. We have all suffered through the bumps and bruises of getting a new product without unrealistic requests. You should always look at situations with the intent of achieving a win win by both parties. It is not Dish's intent to produce a fault product. I have talked to John in the executive offices myself and he was very willing to hear my concerns. If your requests are realistic and portrayed in a prefessional way, they will be resolved in a timely matter.

I have received excellent help from the DIRT members on this site and the other. You should use them as a resources as well, or just give up on Dish and leave. I am not sure that your negative tone is productive on this forum.

#10 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

I think it would be best for you to cancel and go back to DTV. I don't believe you will be satisfied with any outcome from Dish. We have all suffered through the bumps and bruises of getting a new product without unrealistic requests. You should always look at situations with the intent of achieving a win win by both parties. It is not Dish's intent to produce a fault product. I have talked to John in the executive offices myself and he was very willing to hear my concerns. If your requests are realistic and portrayed in a prefessional way, they will be resolved in a timely matter.

I have received excellent help from the DIRT members on this site and the other. You should use them as a resources as well, or just give up on Dish and leave. I am not sure that your negative tone is productive on this forum.

+1
Thank you and
Best of luck

#11 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

He put me on hold forever and then came back and said 2 Hoppers was not allowed.

If you wanted to get 2 Hoppers per DISH company policy, you have to get 2 Joeys. 2 Hoppers and 0 Joeys is a configuration NOT allowed even DIRT has stated this before. Now I don't understand 100% if this is what you were trying to do but I am simply stating their policy. 1 Hopper and 0 Joeys is also another configuration NOT allowed although the DISH website had an error and new customers were able to order this configuration online. For every Hopper you must have at least 1 Joey.

#12 OFFLINE   Hawgster

Hawgster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

{ figured the power went out, looked at the stove, nope power didn't go out. I let it do that for about an hour with no progress, still at 0 of 5. So I reset it and let it sit for about an hour twice with the same results.}
If you did afactory reset and did not unhook the joeys then it will not work... This much I do know....

#13 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:42 AM

Is it just me or is this a classic line?

"I just want my TV to work so my wife will shut up and leave me alone about it."

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,686 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Is it just me or is this a classic line?

"I just want my TV to work so my wife will shut up and leave me alone about it."

Scott

:lol:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#15 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:31 AM

It's just TV...... If its that important, maybe get Dish, cable and Direct together.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#16 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

I For every Hopper you must have at least 1 Joey.

Not to labor the point but I and others have had 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey installed, but not for free. From what I have read and experienced it's at least a 100 bucks to play.

Edited by 356B, 13 April 2012 - 08:49 AM.
terrible proofer......

Thank you and
Best of luck

#17 OFFLINE   broeddog

broeddog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:47 AM

I really don't no what the Dish policy is but I had a two Hopper only system installed on 4/2/12. I have no Joey installed and I payed $199.00 for the additional Hopper. I spoke to several supervisors before I finally spoke to someone on the Executive team who was able to complete the order for me. I had a problem with the second Hopper not being able to program correctly and I turned out to be a six month old piece of RG 6 that Directv had installed. The dish installer was stumped and I asked him if he replaced the cable to that TV with the same cable he used to do the install with, he said no. I asked him to pull a test cable from the dual node to that TV and within ten minutes the Hopper loaded up and has been working flawlessly since then. I left Directv because of the inconsistent practices in regards to who qualifies for what equipment and what price it will cost them or whether they get it free or at a discounted rate. I am happy to be a new Dish customer and I hope you are able to get your two Hopper system.

#18 OFFLINE   bshady

bshady

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Okay, after some basic troubleshooting, running 100' of cable from the node through a window and across the house I have determined that the line that the installer ran is bad. I ran from node to receiver and everything worked, with higher signal strength than I had before. Then, I ran that same line to the barrel connector where the installers line hooked into my prewire that runs to the wall plate at the Hopper. Same result, great signal strength. I left the Joey hooked up to the other side of that dual cable Dish used and disconnected my Ethernet cord so I could see if that side of the dual cable might be bad as well, but it appears to be good. I checked the installers terminations and both ends look good. I'm not sure what the problem is other than to say the wire is just bad. I don't like that dual cable, especially the stuff with the ground wire on it that Dish uses. I have seen that stuff get peeled the wrong way and it just screws up the whole cable.

If there was room in the siding to tuck a 3rd wire I would fix this right now. I guess when Dish comes Wednesday they will have to pull that entire wire and run a new one. I have cable too so I guess until then I will enjoy my 78 SD channels and no DVR. :grin:

I guess because the terminations looked good I will chalk this up to bad luck and not installer error. Oh well, I've had plenty this week. Someone bashed into my wife's car in the parking lot at work and didn't leave a note or anything. I was going to trade that car in next month. Also, water is coming up from a drain line under the slab of my house. Yes, State Farm loves me right now.

Sorry if I came across as a dick, this week has sucked. I guess I just expected better, quicker service as a new customer with a 2 week old install and the protection plan. Thanks for all the input guys.

#19 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,431 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

Sorry if I came across as a dick, this week has sucked. I guess I just expected better, quicker service as a new customer with a 2 week old install and the protection plan. Thanks for all the input guys.

You really have nothing to be sorry for. I posted this on February 3:

If Dish releases a new piece of hardware to new customers first, I'll likely just be grinning as I read those new member posts here.

I have never seen an Echostar significantly different new product release that didn't seem like a Beta, if not Alpha, Release and I cannot believe this one won't work out about the same.

We old customers are fairly tolerant, even though we complain about everything here.

So if they want to alienate a whole new generation of customers, turn them into Beta Testers. Fine with me.;)

I'm surprised that there haven't been more problems, frankly. It appears that the firmware/software isn't half as bad as most new releases were in the past. What I'm waiting for now is the other shoe - hardware failures.

Where the Hopper release seems most "Beta-like" is in customer service policies. The most significant deal-breaker is the combination of rules that require only one Hopper and no ViP DVR's on the account. This means every time there's a hardware failure the customer is without TV by order of irrational Dish Command. Apparently some fool thinks the Echostar/Dish Hopper is the first failure-proof electronic device ever manufactured.:sure:

And then there's the mandatory Joey. I have a Slingbox PRO-HD manufactured by Echostar, the same folks who make for Dish the Hopper, as well as all the Sling Adapters. I have used that to eliminate all my extra TV's using instead various configurations of computer devices, all consistent with the basic design and purpose of Sling devices. Having accomplished that with equipment manufactured by a company mostly owned by the same people who own Dish, I have no use for a Joey. But I'm prohibited by the rules from getting a Hopper without a Joey.

I suppose they'll make something that uses the Hopper PTAT technology some day for people who don't have any real use for a multi-room configuration, like all the single people and couples that are a signficant portion of our population.

But IMHO you really have nothing to apologize for. You're frustrated which was a predictable outcome back in February.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,617 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Where the Hopper release seems most "Beta-like" is in customer service policies. The most significant deal-breaker is the combination of rules that require only one Hopper and no ViP DVR's on the account.

There are some good reasons for that, though. I believe you have to have a DPP34/44 switch in order to mix the hardware (the need for extra connections) so that adds expense to the installation by Dish that they would like to save.

Also, given how the installers don't seem to get enough training OR don't perform well on new products even with training, Dish is probably smart to reduce the amount of potential screwups that could happen in a mixed hardware environment.

This means every time there's a hardware failure the customer is without TV by order of irrational Dish Command.

Well... using your own later-described scenario as an example... you have a single point of failure too don't you? If your ViP receiver fails, then your Slingbox isn't of much use, nor can your remote locations do anything... so you have just created your own old-time version of the Hopper/Joey scenario by having a single ViP receiver + Slingbox, right?

Also, the LNBs and switches are already single points of failure.

And then there's the mandatory Joey. I have a Slingbox PRO-HD manufactured by Echostar, the same folks who make for Dish the Hopper, as well as all the Sling Adapters. I have used that to eliminate all my extra TV's using instead various configurations of computer devices, all consistent with the basic design and purpose of Sling devices. Having accomplished that with equipment manufactured by a company mostly owned by the same people who own Dish, I have no use for a Joey. But I'm prohibited by the rules from getting a Hopper without a Joey.

Arguably, though, if you don't have a need for a Joey then what need have you for a Hopper?

A 722K (or a 922 for that matter) has 2 SAT tuners and 2 OTA tuners. The Hopper has 3 SAT tuners and no OTA tuners. The only thing that puts Hopper over the top is the ability to use 1 SAT tuner for 4 SAT local channels during primetime. Outside of primetime, if you have OTA reception, a 722K or 922 might be better suited for you anyway.

It is weird, if Dish wants to proliferate new customers with Hoppers... to not let them just take a Hopper now and add Joeys later... but for existing customers, I kind of get why they wouldn't want you to upgrade unless you need a Joey because you arguably don't need to swap your current ViP receiver for just a Hopper in most situations I expect.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...