Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blockbuster opinions

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

At another forum I visit, some people posted photos of "disc by mail" discs, still in their labeled envelopes, on a "for sale" shelf at their local BB's. This is probably what happened here.

Or those are the defective discs that I sent back! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by ehb224, 19 April 2012 - 11:33 PM.

Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

I am not a Dish customer but have a Blockbuster streaming app on my BlueRay player. Does anyone know if Blockbuster still streams to BlueRay or is it a Dish only streaming service now?

#28 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

I am not a Dish customer but have a Blockbuster streaming app on my BlueRay player. Does anyone know if Blockbuster still streams to BlueRay or is it a Dish only streaming service now?

It appears so according to THIS thread.

#29 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Only if it is Samsung: http://www.blockbust...ownload/devices.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#30 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thanks guys. I do have a Samsung with the on demand app. Will give them a try. Have been using Amazon but their video quality has gotten pretty bad.

#31 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

...Netflix does have better email notifications (I get nothing from BB letting me know they received or what they mailed).

You should check your spam filters or make sure BB has your correct e-mail address. I get notifications very quickly. In fact I've learned just how good the USPS is. I almost seem to get notifications before I get back from dropping to disc in my mailbox.

#32 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

I have noticed that the shipping has slowed down a bit, not sure if it is blockbuster or the post office. I used to get the new disc shipped notice BEFORE I got the notice that they had received my returned disc. Now I am getting the shipping notice a day or two later than the received notice.

#33 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have noticed that the shipping has slowed down a bit, not sure if it is blockbuster or the post office. I used to get the new disc shipped notice BEFORE I got the notice that they had received my returned disc. Now I am getting the shipping notice a day or two later than the received notice.

I got a receipt notice today at 2:26 PM.

But I got the send notice for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Blu-ray] at 7:38 AM--about seven hours earlier. They said I should get it Wednesday but I won't be surprised if it comes tommorrow.

I love Blockbuster. :hurah:

Edit:

Yes it did come the next day, yesterday the second. We've already watched it and sent it back today.

Edited by bnborg, 03 May 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   fmaclean1

fmaclean1

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

It took 8 days to turnaround the last BB disk I mailed back. Mailed back on 4/25, notice received 4/27, notice next disc mailed 4/30, disk received 5/2. I had been thinking about increasing my subscrition to 2 or 3 at a time, and dropping Netflix, but not now.

#35 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

I was happy with the service, but lately they have been very slow in turn around. Unfortunately it is a two day trip, and no local store, so the additional day or two they now take between receiving the disk and sending a new one means I'm down to one a week if I'm lucky.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#36 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

Yes they do seem to have slowed down.

They did get the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Blu-ray] the day after I mailed it. But they have yet to ship the next selection in my queue, even though it is supposed to be available "Now".

#37 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

The first two DVDs I ordered through BlockBuster were sent out almost immediately, unfortunately the last order has stalled with confusing messages on my Queue page. One day it says the order is being processed, the next day it says I have no items at home....Anyone know what the deal is....I read the rules, it says a short wait can be up to two weeks....that's a short wait?
What am I missing here? or is this the way BB works? It seems like something is wrong....or broken...:nono:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#38 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I just discovered that even though it says unlimited in store exchanges each month the way it works is you can only exchange a mailed disc for one in the store and then you have to return THAT disc to the store wait for the next mail disc to be sent out before you can return THAT one to the store. I was told that they have to scan my mail envelope each time and that I cannot return a store disc and get another one from the store.
WTF?:confused::rolleyes:
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

#39 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

They sent me a disk yesterday and we got it today, eight days after we sent the last one back.

But why did they send me the second disk in my queue and not the first, when both were listed as available "Now"?

#40 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

Still getting slow deliveries here, averaging about 1 per week by mail if that, and that is only if I watch the disc immediately and get it back in the mail the same day. I also noticed that they closed the local Blockbuster store so there goes the in-store exchanges. I read in my new Home Theater magazine that Dish has closed 33% of the stores, they had originally stated that they would close 10%. I think they are kind of turning this into a "Netflix-like" service with slower delivery and less selection. Guess I cant complain since it isn't actually costing me anything out of pocket, but the service has only gotten worse since it started.

#41 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Still getting slow deliveries here, averaging about 1 per week by mail if that, and that is only if I watch the disc immediately and get it back in the mail the same day. I also noticed that they closed the local Blockbuster store so there goes the in-store exchanges. I read in my new Home Theater magazine that Dish has closed 33% of the stores, they had originally stated that they would close 10%. I think they are kind of turning this into a "Netflix-like" service with slower delivery and less selection. Guess I cant complain since it isn't actually costing me anything out of pocket, but the service has only gotten worse since it started.

+1, "Slow deliveries", now no deliveries...since it's free I should not complain...I suppose, but it is frustrating.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#42 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Nevermind. Answered my own question.

#43 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

Yeah, BB is getting worse! I mailed a DVD back on 5/4, and nothing has been mailed back. It doesn't show as "out" in my queue, nor received in history. I sent an email to BB and got this response (they were quick at responding):

It appears that the title "The Help (2011)" was received successfully at USPS and it is currently on its way to our distribution center. Once our distribution center receives it, an email confirmation will be sent regarding its return. There are some instances that you will not receive an email confirmation that we have received your return, as we know that occasionally things may get lost in transit, however, this will not adversely affect your account. Once your rentals are checked in, we generally ship your next selection within 1-2 business days.

They've been good up to this one, usually equal to or 1 day behind NF. So far all good disks, but I don't use Blueray. But I may start once my p60st50 gets here!

#44 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

11 days after I mailed to them, they have sent to me. By the time I get it will have been two weeks turn around time. I live in Nor Cal, the Dist. Center is in Sacramento Ca.....a two day USPS normally. My queue list are not just released movies.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#45 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:37 PM

Think of the service as a "Disc of the month" club. :-)

#46 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:05 PM

I am reminded of the saying "You get what you pay for." We aren't paying anything extra so we shouldn't be surprised that we aren't receiving much.

#47 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:08 AM

I think we pay $10/month for this but it's entangled with some TV channel package, so it's hard to say. Not everyone gets the blockbuster 1-disc offer. It is bundled with something to make the package attractive.

#48 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

I am very satisfied with the 1 at a time service. We are serviced by the Worcester, MA hub and turnaround is usually 3 days. I get mostly top 100 choices, nothing new release usually.

#49 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

I am very satisfied with the 1 at a time service. We are serviced by the Worcester, MA hub and turnaround is usually 3 days. I get mostly top 100 choices, nothing new release usually.

I am serviced by the same hub, mail them back on Monday receive new one on Wednesday. Never had a problem receiving one or being late. Also get new releases.:D
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#50 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Glad you guys in Mass. are getting good service, I am having minimum 5 day turnaround, usually closer to a week.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...