Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blockbuster opinions

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

Not sure how you can't see the difference between an upconverted dvd and bluray. I would prefer to rent only blurays but a lot of the old obscure B-movies that I like to watch are only available on dvd.

That being said the BB service is just "ok". I haven't had any major issues other than many of the older/obscure titles on the site are listed as unavailable, why bother listing them??? I have only had one damaged disc in 6 months so no problem there. The BB website does absolutely suck compared to netflix, searches are slow and get no hits sometimes. The streaming service is nothing to write home about and the majority of the movies available are just movies that are already on the movie pass channels and can be recorded by the DVR with much less trouble. All in all, if it weren't free I probably wouldn't pay extra for the BB services.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   PoorRichard

PoorRichard

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Blockbuster: Wish I had not joined. I have had 7 movies in my queue for a month and they keep going between available now, short wait, long wait, and not available but nothing gets shipped out. I sent complaint to their customer service and got a reply I should have 10 titles in my queue. I think the problem is that they added so many subscribers via Dish and don't have enough copies of titles for all the demand. I suppose if I wanted a movie that has been on regular TV or the premium channels and is five years old, I might have better luck but why would I want BB if I have already seen it.:nono:

#23 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Interesting update. I just checked my queue and all the discs that has been listed as "unavailable" have been moved to the "not currently available on disc" section at the bottom (where previously only pre release titles were listed) AND the most interesting part--Disc 3 of what was previously a 3 disc set is at the top of my queue and available now and the disc 1 and 2 are down in the "not currently available on disc" section even though I had entered them as a "locked" selection since there is really no point in watching disc 3 without seeing 1 and 2 since it is a miniseries!
The status of the "long wait" and "short wait" bluray discs has not changed. NO surprise here!
Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
VIP722/Sling and Westinghouse Digital 42"1080P monitor
Pioneer Elite 7.1 receiver
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

VIP622 and Polaroid 19" 720P TV

#24 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Interesting update. I just checked my queue and all the discs that has been listed as "unavailable" have been moved to the "not currently available on disc" section at the bottom (where previously only pre release titles were listed) AND the most interesting part--Disc 3 of what was previously a 3 disc set is at the top of my queue and available now and the disc 1 and 2 are down in the "not currently available on disc" section even though I had entered them as a "locked" selection since there is really no point in watching disc 3 without seeing 1 and 2 since it is a miniseries!
The status of the "long wait" and "short wait" bluray discs has not changed. NO surprise here!

At another forum I visit, some people posted photos of "disc by mail" discs, still in their labeled envelopes, on a "for sale" shelf at their local BB's. This is probably what happened here.

It's sad that Dish feels that there was more money to be made by selling off stock instead of adding to it for their "disc by mail' service. And all of those BB's that closed down could have provided stock too.

#25 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yes, seems to be getting worse, I may keep Netflix after all. Mission Impossible showed to be "available" for the past week, and now that they received my last disc, it changed to short wait and they sent the next one... also 2 discs that were available, now say not available on disc. Does that mean they quit supplying those titles, or they may move back up later?

#26 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

At another forum I visit, some people posted photos of "disc by mail" discs, still in their labeled envelopes, on a "for sale" shelf at their local BB's. This is probably what happened here.

Or those are the defective discs that I sent back! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by ehb224, 19 April 2012 - 11:33 PM.

Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with Locals and GoldHD with PlatinumHD (or whatever they call it now--names change, service stays the same!)
Eastern Arc dish
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

#27 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

I am not a Dish customer but have a Blockbuster streaming app on my BlueRay player. Does anyone know if Blockbuster still streams to BlueRay or is it a Dish only streaming service now?

#28 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:22 AM

I am not a Dish customer but have a Blockbuster streaming app on my BlueRay player. Does anyone know if Blockbuster still streams to BlueRay or is it a Dish only streaming service now?

It appears so according to THIS thread.

#29 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Only if it is Samsung: http://www.blockbust...ownload/devices.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#30 OFFLINE   photostudent

photostudent

Godfather

• Registered
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thanks guys. I do have a Samsung with the on demand app. Will give them a try. Have been using Amazon but their video quality has gotten pretty bad.

#31 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

...Netflix does have better email notifications (I get nothing from BB letting me know they received or what they mailed).

You should check your spam filters or make sure BB has your correct e-mail address. I get notifications very quickly. In fact I've learned just how good the USPS is. I almost seem to get notifications before I get back from dropping to disc in my mailbox.

#32 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:20 AM

I have noticed that the shipping has slowed down a bit, not sure if it is blockbuster or the post office. I used to get the new disc shipped notice BEFORE I got the notice that they had received my returned disc. Now I am getting the shipping notice a day or two later than the received notice.

#33 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have noticed that the shipping has slowed down a bit, not sure if it is blockbuster or the post office. I used to get the new disc shipped notice BEFORE I got the notice that they had received my returned disc. Now I am getting the shipping notice a day or two later than the received notice.

I got a receipt notice today at 2:26 PM.

But I got the send notice for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Blu-ray] at 7:38 AM--about seven hours earlier. They said I should get it Wednesday but I won't be surprised if it comes tommorrow.

I love Blockbuster. :hurah:

Edit:

Yes it did come the next day, yesterday the second. We've already watched it and sent it back today.

Edited by bnborg, 03 May 2012 - 08:58 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   fmaclean1

fmaclean1

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

It took 8 days to turnaround the last BB disk I mailed back. Mailed back on 4/25, notice received 4/27, notice next disc mailed 4/30, disk received 5/2. I had been thinking about increasing my subscrition to 2 or 3 at a time, and dropping Netflix, but not now.

#35 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

I was happy with the service, but lately they have been very slow in turn around. Unfortunately it is a two day trip, and no local store, so the additional day or two they now take between receiving the disk and sending a new one means I'm down to one a week if I'm lucky.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#36 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

Yes they do seem to have slowed down.

They did get the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo [Blu-ray] the day after I mailed it. But they have yet to ship the next selection in my queue, even though it is supposed to be available "Now".

#37 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 885 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

The first two DVDs I ordered through BlockBuster were sent out almost immediately, unfortunately the last order has stalled with confusing messages on my Queue page. One day it says the order is being processed, the next day it says I have no items at home....Anyone know what the deal is....I read the rules, it says a short wait can be up to two weeks....that's a short wait?
What am I missing here? or is this the way BB works? It seems like something is wrong....or broken...:nono:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#38 OFFLINE   ehb224

ehb224

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

I just discovered that even though it says unlimited in store exchanges each month the way it works is you can only exchange a mailed disc for one in the store and then you have to return THAT disc to the store wait for the next mail disc to be sent out before you can return THAT one to the store. I was told that they have to scan my mail envelope each time and that I cannot return a store disc and get another one from the store.
WTF?:confused::rolleyes:
Eastern Arc dish
Infinity speakers
Jamo speakers

#39 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

They sent me a disk yesterday and we got it today, eight days after we sent the last one back.

But why did they send me the second disk in my queue and not the first, when both were listed as available "Now"?

#40 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:39 AM

Still getting slow deliveries here, averaging about 1 per week by mail if that, and that is only if I watch the disc immediately and get it back in the mail the same day. I also noticed that they closed the local Blockbuster store so there goes the in-store exchanges. I read in my new Home Theater magazine that Dish has closed 33% of the stores, they had originally stated that they would close 10%. I think they are kind of turning this into a "Netflix-like" service with slower delivery and less selection. Guess I cant complain since it isn't actually costing me anything out of pocket, but the service has only gotten worse since it started.

spam firewall